Ugh - pillaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh - pillaging

Unless I missed it, ordering a unit to pillage doesn't give you any options as to WHAT you want to pillage. Is this correct? What a step backwards...

I ask because I tend to pillage behind me at times, and just had to destroy irrigation, roads, and railroads to destroy the fortification on the site. Huh? I WANTED all the other three items...

Yuck...

Venger

I was a little surprised at it too. I guess it works for you sometimes when you are bombing and want to destroy all improvements. I don't know why it was done though.
    I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

There is a definate order to the pillage:

Railroads, then road and irrigation/mine, then Fortresses.

It is the same everytime.

Comment

still it would be nice to know what you are destroying. I never pillage things, I just conquer them. But it would be nice from a realistic standpoint. that damn R word again.

But who goes around destroying things without knowing what they are destroying?

Comment

The civ2 way makes much more sense. Sometimes I build fortresses at chkeponts or to protect resources. If I want to get rid of them I have to destroy everything else first. It's sily!

Also, in the four games of civ3 I played I haven't seen the AI build a fortress once!?
          Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
            The civ2 way makes much more sense. Sometimes I build fortresses at chkeponts or to protect resources. If I want to get rid of them I have to destroy everything else first. It's sily!
            Is there a reason to destroy a fortress? I don't think it hampers production or anything.

Also, in the four games of civ3 I played I haven't seen the AI build a fortress once!?
            I've seen them. In my last game, the Americans had at least one. What's more, it was exactly where I would've built a fortress -- blocking the way from/to a peninsula to the American mainland.

Comment

Is there a reason to destroy a fortress? I don't think it hampers production or anything.
              I don't want to keep a fortress occupied forever and an empty fortress can be occupied by enemy units.

Comment

Perfectionists...
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I don't want to keep a fortress occupied forever and an empty fortress can be occupied by enemy units.
                  That's true. But you can also use it yourself as a second line of defense, if a war is going poorly.

Comment

if a war is going poorly
                    What does that mean

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact definition. However, to take a hypothetical (yeah, right) example, I think that if Otto the Cranky German uses a knight rush to take over two small border towns that used to be yours, that's, like, not good. Then he bangs his head on two spearmen fortified inside a hill fortress blocking access to your mainland and sues for peace, and that, while not good, is nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Comment

What does that mean
                        Yeah, no kidding, a war not going well???

Mannamagnus is right, there are times to destroy a fortification. I use them as choke points when attacking other Civs to hold my one side of a frontier while I conquer the other. When done, I want to get rid of those so that cannot be occupied.

Why was the proven, easy, and clearly BETTER Civ2 system ditched? Sheer laziness?

Venger

Comment

Working...
                        X