AI units prancing around pointlessly and wasting my time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI units prancing around pointlessly and wasting my time

Has anyone else noticed that in AI cities with very limited borders, the AI sends out the units in the city on a little expedition around the city borders for no apparent reason - now, I wouldn't mind, but the game is a bit of a grind on my machine as it is, and having to watch this completely futile activity every single turn isn't adding to the gaming experience.
    OK, they could be scouting - but usually it's more than one unit, more than necessary.

Are these units actually doing anything useful?
    yada

Pressing "A" like in SMAC should automate the exploration too. You can only automate workers, and not other units.

Comment

Re: AI units prancing around pointlessly and wasting my time

I think they are planning to fix the useless AI patrolling in the patch.

Comment

I hope they do fix it in the patch. Meanwhile you can turn off enemy animations in the preferences screen to make things more tolerable.
        I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

in...out...in...out damn it. You're on an island. There's nothing more to see.

Yes it does get a little annoying even on a faster machine. I like the game, but I find myself dreading pushing that end turn button.

Comment

Problem with turning of enemy movements in the preferences is that you don't get to see threatening moves that the ai is making.

Comment

I find the pointless prancing a good metaphor for life.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

im developing a habit of pressing end turn and then acting as though I closed the game and its time to do something else

Comment

Originally posted by Compugasm 2
                  Pressing "A" like in SMAC should automate the exploration too. You can only automate workers, and not other units.
                  Press E for automatic exploration (yes, it's in the manual).

Comment

What gets me is the settlers wandering along my border.

This at a time when maps have been exchanged countless times and every civ KNOWS that every inch of land is spoken for.

It doesnt seem that the ai is programed to disband ANY unit.
                    Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

For a turn or two, it's kind of amusing, watching cavalry charge back and forth across an island that's only four tiles in size. But it gets old pretty quick.

Comment

In my current game the English, whom I have a right of passage agreement with, suddenly sent an army of about 20 swordsmen right into my territory.
                        They were heading straight towards my capitol, so I feared they'd make a surprise attack, but I let them wander just to see what happened.
                        They didn't attack, but made some kind of a big sightseeing tour through my nation (Good old Germany). They surely weren't exploring, because shortly before I traded territory maps with the English.
                        The tour ended in a tiny English enclave town near our common border. There the complete hord now walks in endless circles around the town, not tresspassing the border. It's quite funny to look at, like watching an ant-hill.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                          im developing a habit of pressing end turn and then acting as though I closed the game and its time to do something else
                          Funny you should say that. Last Sunday I was able to finish my game of Civ III and get the laundry done. My wife was pleased as punch. THAT doesn't happen very often.

Comment

If the AI moves units around, doesn't that sort of prove it is restricted by LOS just like the human player ? The only reason I'd move a unit back and forth is to briefly explore squares ahead and give a better LOS.

There is persistant complaining about the AI cheating by knowing where all your units are, but the fact the AI seems to do "recon" the hard way this may not be the case.
                            xane

Comment

"scouting"

Xane, freind, pal, buddy..........

Do you even own the game? scouting is one thing but the game is scouting the same area 5, 10, 15 or more times in one turn! and we get to watch the same animations 5, 10, 15 times in a row for every city in our line of site it could make a person cranky.

Comment

Working...
                              X