Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Every time I capture a city, all its cultural improvements are gone, regardless of the way I acquired it. If it has a wonder, that wonder doesn' t seem to produce any more culture. Is there a clear play-balance reason for that? I think that is what leads to the weird 'flip-flopping' by cities that defect back and forth.

because those aren't your citizens!!

Comment

Hmm... I don't know if that makes sense. When I plop down a temple, the city starts producing culture normally, whether the citizens are mine or not. And if the French marched North and took Cambridge, would that erase its status as an old university town?

Comment

Yeah, when you capture a city, culture should continue.
        For sure in the case of wonders. The old pyramids spread as much culture under the egyptians as they would do if the germans would conquer egypt.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Re: Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Originally posted by Kekkonen
          Every time I capture a city, all its cultural improvements are gone, regardless of the way I acquired it. If it has a wonder, that wonder doesn' t seem to produce any more culture. Is there a clear play-balance reason for that? I think that is what leads to the weird 'flip-flopping' by cities that defect back and forth.
          What happens is that the culture produced by Improvements/Wonders only is applied to whoever built them!

So...if you capture a city that has Pyramids, Temple, Colosseum; those improvements/Wonders will never produce any culture for you since they were constructed by the other civ! What you can do is sell the improvement and built again, that way you'll get the culture, since you were the one that build it, and the enemy civ won't get any culture if your city is captured! The culture of the Great Wonder however is for ever lost, since you can't rebuild it!

Portugal
          Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
          Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
          and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
          "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

Re: Re: Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Originally posted by JayKay

What happens is that the culture produced by Improvements/Wonders only is applied to whoever built them!

So...if you capture a city that has Pyramids, Temple, Colosseum; those improvements/Wonders will never produce any culture for you since they were constructed by the other civ! What you can do is sell the improvement and built again, that way you'll get the culture, since you were the one that build it, and the enemy civ won't get any culture if your city is captured! The culture of the Great Wonder however is for ever lost, since you can't rebuild it!

Portugal
            hm, i thought that world wonders give you culture if you capture the city, ab nunc, of course....
            if they give you a zero, then there is no reason not to raze them....

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Originally posted by LaRusso

hm, i thought that world wonders give you culture if you capture the city, ab nunc, of course....
              if they give you a zero, then there is no reason not to raze them....
              Well...there's one GOOD reason not to raze cities with Great Wonders! Aldo you don't get the culture boost from the Great Wonder you still get their effects, which are (depending of the Great Wonder) very valuable too!

Portugal
              "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why is the cultural output of a captured city always zero?

Originally posted by JayKay

Well...there's one GOOD reason not to raze cities with Great Wonders! Aldo you don't get the culture boost from the Great Wonder you still get their effects, which are (depending of the Great Wonder) very valuable too!
                yeah, but why would i raze pyramids? hell of a work

Comment

Let's not forget that razing cities also makes the other civs dislike you more...

Comment

Working...
                  X