Why the rules whiners are wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberGnu

Nukes should be a LOT more powerful thn they are... Just because they are supposed to be terror weapons. Civ2 handled that pretty well... If I nuked someone, I could count on them to do their best to nuke me back... and usually succeeding unless I used my spies to kill them off.

And the problem is..?

I've used one - 1 - nuke so far in my CIV3 career. I used it to wipe out a strong city defense and entered it with marines in order to secure an oil resource. It was a Chinese city that I nuked. Upon pressing space for next turn, I immidiately received three ICBMs, not from the Chinese, but from the Greeks (I think, cos the Chinese didn't have any). They nuked my capital plus two other cities. I have not nuked anyone since then... I also had a number of ICBMs and tacticals, but did not retaliate against the greeks. I think this works great, and I will think four or five times before using a nuke again.

Fred

Comment

Re: Why the rules whiners are wrong

Originally posted by MrB

I could go on and on but I think the point is made. But I'll be most p'ed off if Firaxis neuter their fantastic game just because a number of vocal people don't really know where the designers where coming from with it. I couldn't agree more that Civ3 needs a good patch, but I think patching time would be much better spend squashing bugs than messing about with game rules and spoiling it for all the satisfied people.
      The game is playable as is but Venger's comments are correct regarding the military play. It could be much better. Anyone completely satisfied with a strategy game that matches bowmen and tanks with the outcome in doubt is not interested in real world strategy. To each his own I suppose.

Comment

I've used one - 1 - nuke so far in my CIV3 career. I used it to wipe out a strong city defense and entered it with marines in order to secure an oil resource. It was a Chinese city that I nuked. Upon pressing space for next turn, I immidiately received three ICBMs, not from the Chinese, but from the Greeks (I think, cos the Chinese didn't have any). They nuked my capital plus two other cities. I have not nuked anyone since then... I also had a number of ICBMs and tacticals, but did not retaliate against the greeks. I think this works great, and I will think four or five times before using a nuke again.
        That sounds very similar to how the AI handled Nukes in Civ2 though. I had one game on Emperor laying Civ2 with 3 other civs which were all powerful (nuclear). I attacked and captured the Eygptian capital to prevent a spaceship launch (does anyone know if you can still do this with Civ3 BTW?) with Nukes and basically started a trade off. I got nuked back a couple of times from the other civs (suprise strikes), so nuked them back a bit. Then got a couple more nukes coming over etc. for several turns until they ran out and things calmed down a bit.

Comment

well personally i don't expect extream realism from civ i just want a historical flavor

to me each unit on the map represents a number of units
          for example a modern armor unit probably represents something between a brigade to a division

not only that to me each unit represents a range of units...i would say that most likely T-72's up to the most current version of an abrams count as modern armor

probably everything from the monitor up to the maine count as an ironclad

so obviously civ3 cannot, moreover it doesn't even try to present "realistic" combat however it should try to be an abstract version, that maintains the flavor of the historical period if not its details

a world war one scenario shouldn't be a rapid moving blitzkrieg type war, nor should a modern war focus on entrenched infantry

each cruise missile in civ3 represents hundreds of cruise missiles launched over the course of a year...think about this, in september of 1990 Iraq had one of the largest armies in the world (5th largest i think) it had thousands of tanks

the war started on january 17th and was over by Febuary 27th with the Iraqi army in ruins...and the Iraqi army was certainly better armed than even the american army in world war 2

all in all from the Iraqi invasion of kuwait (August 2nd) to the Iraqi's accepting surrender terms (March 3rd) was 7 months and 1 day, less than one turn in civ3 for the 5th largest army to be completely overhwelmed!

there was a reason that people were scared during the cuban missile crisis...a nuclear war would have virtually destroyed both the US and the USSR, especially one in the late 70's or anytime during the 80's

"air power doesn't work! Afganistan proved this, as does Bosnia..."
          yeap just watch the news

the real world looks more and more like SMAC when you think about it

all i'm saying is that civ3 doesn't have to be realistic, but it should be fun, because it is a game solely intended for enjoyment

Nukes got nerfed because they didn't add in M.A.D. read the Soren Johnson chat transcript...he said that originally nukes completely destroyed a city but that it was too powerful so firaxis balanced it as best they could for a christmas release

each person will have a different veiw of balance, because each person has a different view of fun...personally i think civ3 is pretty fun out of the box, but i think it can be more fun with some rule changes...so guess what i did? i changed the rules!

since civ3 is single player only, right now i really hope that firaxis is focusing all of their efforts on fixing bugs and giving the players more oppertunities to change the rules to their liking i'd be more than happy with that

for anyone who cares here is the ruleset that I think makes civ3 more fun

p.s. just because a game designer set the rules doesn't mean that a couple of changes won't improve them, although many considered StarCraft to be one of the most balanced games ever the staff made many balance only changes throughout the life of the game to improve upon its balance

Comment

I would go so far as to say that in WW2 more ships where sunk by planes then by enemy surface ships. That conforms with what we know about Pearl Harbor and all the major navel battles. The Japanese navy was sunk bit by bit by American carrier based aircraft.

P.S. And yes may subs where sunk by airplanes too.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Combat ships, yes. But looking at raw tonnage sunk, I'm pretty sure the Germans sank enough allied shipping for 3 wars using submarines. I don't have the figures in front of me so please correct my mistakes.
              ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
              The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
              You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

each person will have a different veiw of balance, because each person has a different view of fun...personally i think civ3 is pretty fun out of the box, but i think it can be more fun with some rule changes...so guess what i did? i changed the rules!

Right, that's what it boils down to. We obviously have different opinions on what's fun and how things should behave, and if the editor was powerful enough, people wouldn't be complaining so much (i think!). I would say that the perfect game is one which can be modified relatively easily for anyone's particular taste, and it's nice that the gaming industry is seeing more and more games where you can edit the rules and modify things. Games with scripting languages (like Operation Flashpoint, CtP:2) to edit how the AI behaves for certain events, games like Serious Sam which released a SDK to modify the game code itself! Unfortunately, it seems to me Civ3 took a step backward in the modding support. IIRC Civ2's text files gave me more power in editting the game, although yes it wasn't in the form of nice GUI as in Civ3- but IMO I'd take the txt files any day over a GUI with limited capability.

Comment

but IMO I'd take the txt files any day over a GUI with limited capability
                  same here up to a point
                  it is really a shame that civ3 shipped with such a nice editor but it didn't ship with the ability to create scenarios, that more than anything goes to that basically infogrames pushed civ3 out of the door at least a few months before it was ready, and most (certainly not all though) of these balance issues would have been taken care of if civ3 had a longer beta test, or an open beta test

i hope that eventually the civ3 scenario editor has the ability to add in triggers ala StarEdit for Starcraft

and for those who are curious this is from a navy.mil site found here

The Japanese Merchant Marine lost 8.1 million tons of vessels during the war, with submarines accounting for 4.9 million tons (60%) of the losses. Additionally, U.S. submarines sank 700,000 tons of naval ships (about 30% of the total lost) including 8 aircraft carriers, 1 battleship and 11 cruisers. Of the total 288 U.S. submarines deployed throughout the war (including those stationed in the Atlantic), 52 submarines were lost with 48 destroyed in the war zones of the Pacific. American submariners, who comprised only 1.6% of the Navy, suffered the highest loss rate in the U.S. Armed Forces, with 22% killed
                  so 1.6% of the navy sunk 60% of japanese merchant shipping, and 30% of naval shipping, not too shabby huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Monoriu

Other "glaring unrealistic situations" in the game include:

1. Pyramids serve as granaries in all cities.
                    I believe a previous user touched on the possible reasoning behind this. I don't know about you but most people aren't Egyptologist. (The problem isn't glaring if you don't know enough about it. What I and most people know about is the modern armies vs. ancient armies and rightfully our criticisms lie in this area)
                    2. Takes 200 years to produce a band of warriors.
                    4. Takes 50 years to move from New York to Boston.
                    Yes. This is a glaring problem. However the solution (reducing the time between turns) is far far worse.

3. San Francisco suffers more corruption than New York because its further from Washington DC.
                    I don't understand what you are getting at here. Historically, and logically corruption should and does grow as you get farther from the center of a civilization. Prehaps you mean this isn't how things are in modern reality. Local governments also enforce the law and therefore would make corruption more even throughout a civilization. However the local government itself can still be corrupt. Prehaps an addition of a tech called Television can cause corruption to be less influenced by distance. (Reporters love government scandals)

5. The Spanish fleet moved faster becasue of Magellan's expedition.
                    Wouldn't you move with more confidence (faster) if you didn't think you are going to fall off the edge of the world?

6. The Iroquois are famous and feared because of their mounted warriors.
                    I'm not entirely sure exactly what rule you are refering to.

7. USA does not need any electricity plants because they have already built the Hoover dam.
                    Yes. The effects of this wonder is far too powerful. However I would venture to say that anything less would not be worth building.

On that same note I would also say that units tend to have the most glaring problem because unlike wonders the player uses them every turn. This means that glaring unrealistic situations are especially amplified when they related to a unit.

the focus of Civ 3 is not realism.
                    I totally agree. However the eventual goal is.

Comment

I woukd like to point out something. The backbone of allmost all navies of the world is not the battleship. In the past the battleship was the main ship of all navies and naval power was often measured by how many battleships a navy had. Things started to change with WWII. The aircraft carrior became the backbone of the U.S. navy. Today the U.S. navy has no battleships what so ever.
                      Donate to the American Red Cross.
                      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Working...
                      X