Pollution is insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollution is insane!

Alright, so it's already been said. Still, the more people say it, the more chance it has of getting tweaked. I can't play a single game without eventually building an army of pollution monkeys whose sole purpose is to go around and clean up pollution. And then I have to watch them each turn. This is both before and after I upgrade all cities with all the pollution reducing improvements. The only difference they make is that instead of twelve workers, I'll only need eight afterwards.

I can't use the editor, if you even *can* reduce pollution with it, because for some reason whenever I use it for anything, it warps the tech tree on the research advisor screen. Anywho, here's to hoping it gets tweaked...or better yet made into an option.

LR

I hear ya, I'm sick of micromanaging the pollution clean-up. I just want a way to edit it or remove it completely, and I can't find anythign in the editor that would eliminate pollution (you can make buildings create 0 pollution but the buildings arent the problem, its the population)

And about your editor problem. I have the same thing... apparently they are working on it, but for now, create a backup of your civ3mod.bic file, then edit that file instead of creating a new one. (this file is the basic civ3 rules). So when you make changes to the rules in tha file, you wont need to play off a scenario, just play normally, and you should'nt have those advisor problems.

Comment

Hmmm...I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

LR

Comment

(you can make buildings create 0 pollution but the buildings arent the problem, its the population)
        Actually, doesn't the factory, coal plant, airport, and manufacturing plant cause pollution?

At the end of the game, I was actually down to having only two pollution icons in my high production cities (at least the ones with nuke plants).
        DarkMatter

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.
        -Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942

Comment

Noooo! Turning off pollution is a *terrible* idea!

Comment

I stick the workers on auto. They build railroads, and there's pollution, they zip over there and clean it up.

Comment

pollution out of controll? sounds realistic to me.

(actually I thought the pollution levels in Civ2 were kinda preachy)

check out this link for a nice animated gif showing world-wide pollution levels

Explanation: Where on Earth is the air most polluted? Recently released images from the Terra satellite show not only areas of high pollution, but also how polluted air moves. In the above image, locations of higher air pollution are shown in red. The pollutant tracked is carbon monoxide (CO) at a height of about 5 kilometers. Clearly, Earth's Northern Hemisphere shows much more CO than the south. The new data indicate, however, that pollution moves on a global scale. About half of all CO emission is of human origin, and much of this is created in large fires.

Comment

pollution being out of control is realistic...but it's a game play issue. when i have 60 cities each producing pollution once a turn or once every few turns it is a major pain to micro-manage a zillion workers.

i've tried to automate workers but they always seem to start mining my irrigation squares on grassland, in effect starving my high population cities.

Comment

DarkMatter- what size are your cities? my average city is around 22-25 so I guess at these levels the pollution sky rockets.

And sure you guys, pollution is a real-world problem, but so are alot of things! Terrorism, earthquakes, hurricanes, traffic, UV radiation... you name it. Why arent all these in the game to pester us as well? All I'm saying is you gotta find a good balance between realism and fantasy known as fun. I don't get paid to play this game

PS whats so realistic about random orange globule masses forming on a terrain making it totally unusable? I live near NYC- a city which should be bigger then my Civ3 25 size cities, and I don't remember waking up not being able to go to work 'cause some orange glob appeared over my company's building.

Comment

Originally posted by dudemanjack
                    pollution being out of control is realistic...but it's a game play issue. when i have 60 cities each producing pollution once a turn or once every few turns it is a major pain to micro-manage a zillion workers.

i've tried to automate workers but they always seem to start mining my irrigation squares on grassland, in effect starving my high population cities.
                    I don't think pollution is that bad, because you can automate the workers.

But the onset of global warming comes WAY too early in this game, with no real warning (that little sun icon never changes).

I had global warming begin early in the industrial era with only a handful of factories running on the entire map. Ridiculous!
                    "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Ray, that's very true, global warming comes too soon and is too sensitive. Couple that with the inability to terraform and you end up with an annoying experience. You probably arent the cause of the global warming, maybe your allies have size 30 cities (which create alot mroe pollution then any coal factory!)

Comment

I think pollution level is fine. I never build coal plants, stick mainly with hydo and/or hoover dam. Getting mass transit and recycling centers built does cut it back a lot.

An Auto Worker Key for Clean Pollution Only would be nice.

I agree the global warming comes too early for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                          Ray, that's very true, global warming comes too soon and is too sensitive. Couple that with the inability to terraform and you end up with an annoying experience. You probably arent the cause of the global warming, maybe your allies have size 30 cities (which create alot mroe pollution then any coal factory!)
                          Nah, I was on a Tiny map and had covered 2/3 of the map by then.

I'm not against having Global Warming in the game, it just needs to take longer to start. Also, it would be nice if, once you got ecology, you had some indication on how well you were controlling it.
                          "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Somebody posted that a good way to control pollution is not to build any hospitals till after the discovery of ecology. This will allow you to build Mass Transits before your population boom. It worked well for pollution but the lack of extra citizens for tax collectors kept my funds low. Which in turn made for a smaller and less effective Army. It also seemed to control global warming which only popped up twice on me in the entire game (1977).

The biggest pain is when your workers are out of things to do they go to the nearest city and sit. Then when pollution pops up you have to find and activate them again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                              DarkMatter- what size are your cities? my average city is around 22-25 so I guess at these levels the pollution sky rockets.
                              I'm pretty sure it was a size 25 base with a Factory, Airport, Nuke plant, recycling center, and mass transit system.

PS whats so realistic about random orange globule masses forming on a terrain making it totally unusable? I live near NYC- a city which should be bigger then my Civ3 25 size cities, and I don't remember waking up not being able to go to work 'cause some orange glob appeared over my company's building.
                              Wow, you guys don't have them out east? Maybe I should move out there.

Originally posted by Ray K
                              But the onset of global warming comes WAY too early in this game, with no real warning (that little sun icon never changes).
                              Mine changed, but it only changes with each new turn. I was having a nuke fest, and the sun icon looked bright red, like a red giant. Each turn, at least 5-10 squares would change terrain type.
                              DarkMatter

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.
                              -Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X