What does it take to get a sea route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighthouse and trading

I am not 100% certain but I believe possessing the great lighthouse wonder also allows you to trade resources to any civ with a harbor connected to the resource via roads(presuming you yourself have a harbor. I base this on a game I am playing in which I was isolated on an island with no shore line connections to the main continent w/ 7 other civs on it and once I discovered the lighthouse we were able to trade luxuries and later strategic resources prior to my discovering navigation and astrononmy.

I will do some more testing over the weekend to verify this.

Comment

Re: Lighthouse and trading

Originally posted by Sauron07
      I am not 100% certain but I believe possessing the great lighthouse wonder also allows you to trade resources to any civ with a harbor connected to the resource via roads(presuming you yourself have a harbor. I base this on a game I am playing in which I was isolated on an island with no shore line connections to the main continent w/ 7 other civs on it and once I discovered the lighthouse we were able to trade luxuries and later strategic resources prior to my discovering navigation and astrononmy.

I will do some more testing over the weekend to verify this.
      I think you are partially true!

One of the effect of the great lighthouse is that ships can safely cross sea squares! This is also one of the effects of Navigation! So...it could mean that you can trade resources through harbors in trade routes crossing sea squares (but never the ones that cross ocean squares) after building the Great Lighthouse!

Portugal
      Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
      Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
      and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
      Last edited by JayKay; November 20, 2001, 12:05.
      "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth

This is incorrect. All you need is the advance "Writing". Then double click on the star icon beside your capital. This will bring you to the screen where you can pay to establish an embassy.
        Well, in one game I was not able to establish embassies with all civs when discovering writing. At that time I did not have harbors or wasn't connected to some of them by road. I got a message that my capitol wasn't connected to their capitol.

I assume you probably have harbors and rival cis have that too, so you are connected to them by sea route!

Later I did have a harbor and all civs on the continent were connected by road. At that time I established an embassy with them like you said by doubleclicking on the star icon of my capitol.

Also I could not trade resources with some of them before having an embassy. In the foreign advisor screen it said for some civs active trade, for some possible trade and for some it said neither!
        Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
        If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
        "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Working...
        X