Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal Fortresses = why?

hi guys,

I haven't build any yet, but I've blown up a couple that the AI has.

What's the reason to build a coastal fortress? Especially since the AI seems to want to bombard the area around a city insteadof the city itself.

I was thinking about it, and what I think would be really neat is if Coastal Fortresses worked as super-aggressive sea-only artillery with a zone of control (2 squares). Bad guys come into range, they get hammered (but since it's arty, probably not killed).

ER

Re: Coastal Fortresses = why?

Originally posted by Easy Rhino
    I was thinking about it, and what I think would be really neat is if Coastal Fortresses worked as super-aggressive sea-only artillery with a zone of control (2 squares). Bad guys come into range, they get hammered (but since it's arty, probably not killed).
    ER
    LOL It allready does do that, except the range is only 1 square. It gets free shots in its ZoC.

This is what is supposed to do, but ive read posts that it is broken (ive never had a chance to use them myself so I dont know firsthand, I usually build a large navy to keep enemies out of my waters before they even reach my cities)

Comment

Re: Re: Coastal Fortresses = why?

Originally posted by HugoHillbilly

LOL It allready does do that, except the range is only 1 square. It gets free shots in its ZoC.
      Maybe we should give it a 2 range? Or does ZOC only have a one range? Ah crap...

This is what is supposed to do, but ive read posts that it is broken
      Broken? I can't believe it....

Venger

Comment

So, has anyone ever seen a coastal fortress shoot at anything? You know, like a boat?

ER

Comment

I've never seen one shoot, this feature seems to be broken. I have noticed a huge difference in the effectiveness of my bombardments once the AI gets them in it's cities. It seems to cover a 1 square radius around the city. (I do a lot of pillaging via bombardment. )
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

YEah, i played a game till 2050AD, and the AI and myself were using lots of ships around the coast, i never got hit once from a coastal fortress, it seems like they dont work, along with air superiority.
            I cant believe they'd release a game like this with features that DONT WORK, its inexcusable.

Comment

I'm not so sure about air superiority not working. I had two bombers shot down last night by AI fighters. Took out a couple of fighters with my bombers as well. Got the messages and all. No message when my fighters were defending, but the AI's boming runs suddenly became a lot less effective.
              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth
                I'm not so sure about air superiority not working. I had two bombers shot down last night by AI fighters. Took out a couple of fighters with my bombers as well. Got the messages and all. No message when my fighters were defending, but the AI's boming runs suddenly became a lot less effective.
                well, human fighters defending against AI bombers is broken, AI fighters against human bombers is working

so you are probably the first aceman in history if you have really managed to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                X