It Wont Work *Proceeds to cry like a baby*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget OpenGL

If you have Windows 95, you have to install OpenGL I think.

A couple other things from the readme.txt:

* Ini file tweaks: The first time Civilization III is run, it will create a file called 'civilization3.ini'. The following lines can be added and allow you to tweak the game:

*KeepRes=1 - When set to 1, your desktop resolution will be what the game uses. 1024x768 screens will be centered, but you will be able to see much more of the map on one screen.
    *NoSound=1 - Disables all sound in-game.
    *Video Mode=1792 / Video Mode=1600 / Video Mode=1280 / Video Mode=1152 - Force screen resolution to one of these settings.

First edition versions Windows 95 did not include OpenGL, which Civilization III requires. A program named 'opengl95.exe' can be found in the root of the game's CD, which will install the required drivers. NOTE: This is only for first edition versions of Windows 95 that have trouble running Civilization III. If you don't have a first edition version of Windows 95 or you are not having difficulty starting the game, do not install these drivers!
    iamastatistic.com - Learn something about the world

Comment

well, i have openGL, if i didnt there would be an error mssg.

i have no ini file because Civ3 has never actually RUN.

I am using this power strip thing, but i cant seem to get hte setting, 16bit color, 1024x678 res

please help.....
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Did you try to alt-tab and see if the civ3 icon is in the list? You never know, it might just be coming up minimized and skipping the movie...You just never know.
        --He who laughs last is the dumbest person in the room--

Comment

nope, not therer. i said, i double click the icon, and for all the changes it makes to my pc, i may aswell just have left it switched off.

the only change after an attempt to get it to work is a second will pass on my PC clock (which is 3 days behind anywho)

Comment

Well, you could have outdated drivers for your videocard. Try figure out the manufacturer and modell by looking in the hardwaremanager or something and then check thier homepage for an update.

Hmm, the safedisk problem. I just hate that thing ... I need to crack every other game I purchase. Don't they understand that those copy protections have no effect? The net is crowded with cracks... It will take about 15 minutes for an amateur pirate to find and download a crack. ..bah.

Comment

I would have to say it's totaly your video card that's the problem. Sometimes, if a game needs say a p200, you can get a way running it on a p166.. but unfortunatly, video just doesn't work that way. The game is trying to initialize your video, and it can't becuase there's not enuf video ram, or resolution, so it probably generates a failsafe error, and just quites, without telling you what's wrong.

Go get a new video card! yer in the dark ages anywaz! you can pick up a simple PCI 16MB 3D video card for probably less than 50bucks, and that would let you play the game i'm sure.

Zorkk

Comment

The Andy-Man

i have an old ATi 8mb AGP video card that will run civ3 (i got me a radeon 32mb card for like 90 bucks so i upgraded), however i have had it in my top desk drawer for about the past 6 months so i'm not sure if it still works, but i will mail it you if you want it

if not here is a list of video cards at outpost.com

Comment

Hopefully he has AGP! if he doesn't, wanna send that to me? I gotta pii 350 just waiting till I have the spare cash for a vid card! heh =)

Z

Comment

i would love your old vido card if you dont want it, erm, e0mail me at:

AndyMan69@thefreeinternet.co.uk and we can sort all the little details out. thx.

Comment

Working...
                    X