Horse resource is bogus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse resource is bogus

This may have been discussed already but I just want to voice my disapproval of the way horses are handled in Civ 3.

a) Horses, once acquired in real life, can get busy and breed. Ergo, it should not be necessary to negotiate for or otherwise acquire horse resources once you have them.

b) In a historical scenario like a world map, this presents significant problems. One is that you either have to put horses where they don't really belong on the map, or have unrealistic situations where nations fight over controlling a horse square or lose access to horses.

c) The Iroquois. Giving an ancient-era horse-based special unit to a civ that historically only acquired horses by getting them from Europeans was a big mistake. The Americans won't have them either and so can't give them to the Iroquois, and by the time the Euros get there they'll be obsolete.

d) It's inconsistent...e.g. why aren't elephants required for the Indian special unit? How do those barbarian horsemen get created?
    Last edited by Tigen; November 17, 2001, 18:57.

Still not more bogus than taking 400 years to train a unit of warriors. Its a game. Resources are abstracted for gameplay reasons. Have a little imagination .
    Never underestimate the healing powers of custard.

Comment

nevertheless it still looks stupid to have horses as resources!
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

What the resource picture represents is a magic field where horses magically appear, these horse, unlike the ones in real life (real life sucks btw), civ3 horses cant breed.

Simiraly a spearman doesnt represent a spear man, it represents a battalion armed with carl gustav launchers that kill tanks.

Hope this cleard things up
        Im sorry Mr Civ Franchise, Civ3 was DOA

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
          nevertheless it still looks stupid to have horses as resources!
          Why, maybe in a future patch we can melt them together with coal in some kind of furnace.

Comment

I guess they only trade you castrated horse.

Comment

I agree! The real world is inaccurate! They really should release a patch, you know...

-- adaMada
              Civ 3 Democracy Game:
              PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
              Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

You mean geldings?

(Useless but ego-boosting display of vocabulary)
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh yeah; if you want to complain, then why not complain about the "silk" luxury? It's quite easy to breed silkworms in captivity nowadays.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

How important are horses really? They don't attack very well. And there are very few huts to make them as important as they were in Civ II.

I think Legions are the most significant unit. Espeically in war, because your horses can't move 2 spaces in enemy territroy anyway, so why build them? I build only a few in each of my games.

I mass build legions though. Need something to tak Spearmen down.
                    A wise man once said, "Games are never finished, only published."

Comment

Originally posted by Stromprophet
                      I think Legions are the most significant unit. Espeically in war, because your horses can't move 2 spaces in enemy territroy anyway, so why build them
                      Erm, yes they do.
                      They have 2 moves, and movement in an enemy territory is like moving in unimproved terrain - roads dont exist. BUT movement through plains and grasslands still cost only 1 movement point. Try it

Horsemen are a useful military unit as well. Simply get a bunch of them, and attack. Although they are less powerful than legions, they have a big advantage. Where a legion that loses combat simply dies, a horseman will retreat. After healing him, your army is back at full strength, rather than having to wait for another legion to be built.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

What about wine?

I've seen many complaints about horses ... but what about wine? You can make alcohol out of just about anything.

But that's OK by me.

Comment

But the big thing about wine was that the fermenting process made it safe to drink.

So, in ancient times, the water could kill you. So stick with the vino.

The fact that American Indians didn't get horses until early industrail times is EXTREMELY INCONVENIENT for game play purposes.

ER

Comment

Real life vs game issues aside, I'd have to agree with the original poster that giving the Iroquois the mounted warrior as their unique unit represents dismal historical research on Firaxis's part. Its not a fun vs realism issue. They really should consider giving the unit a different name and graphic.

Comment

But, Monoriu- the Iroquois would be slaughtered if they didn't have SOME Unique unit- and if the horses were unique after the Europeans arrive with Musketeers, the horses would be fairly useless

Ecthelion- Good idea
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X