Oil is not well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dexters
    However, I reject completely the assertion that we should use the editor to fix balance issues that shouldn't have been there to begin with. Firaxis has a great game on their hands, but that does not mean throwing us an editor is sufficient reason to slack in playtesting and give us a broken gameplay system.
    I sorry but I reject that there is a balance issue with oil. Not once in any of the games have I not been able to lay my hands on oil one way or another and seeing that only a few people are up in arms about it I dont think that most people are having a problem either. You know how this forum is, if there is a problem there would be thread after thread after thread about it. Its not happening so I think that the silence speaks volumes.

If you think that its broken then please show us some evidence that isnt hearsay. Every time I play, or generate a map in the editor I just dont see a problem.
    The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

I know the frustration, I am playing as the Romans right now and I am on a continent with NO iron....where are Caesar's legions now?
      I am wondering if setting the age of the world to 5 billions years has any affect on dispersing the resources at all?

Comment

The resource idea is fine, in concept and execution. In real life, civilizations DO get hosed, and/or go to war over resources.

But this IS a game, and I agree with Zizka. You shouldn't ever reach a point where you have no options simply because the resource generator didn't roll your way. Especially in the late part of the game, where you've got a lot of time invested. I've had games where I had no horses, despite vast plains and grasslands in my territory. You can roll with that. You can survive. But with no oil, you hit a wall, and hit it hard.

Zizka's solutions are both fine, and not out of line with the game. How about another one, which I'm sure has been brought up somewhere else-

To simulate unreliable, black market dealing, when no official trading is possible, let the needy civ build their tanks anyway- but at an enormous production penalty that will make the units in question precious assets.

Comment

re Oil crisis
          Yes I have heard of it. However it did not stop the US from building any more Tanks, cars, warships or KY jelly now did it?

Distribution
          Thans for the figures guys, but I am looking to try and find playable fix. Indeed if we increase the # of oil but given the "clumping" tendency of resources -- wouldnt that actually just increase the size of the clumps rather than just spreading it out?

Re Editor
          I agree with the assertion that editing is for customization but we should not have to do the play balancing. I have no idea in soem cases whether a change in X will have ricochet effect on teh game and unbalance other things. I would prefer someoen more knowledgeable over the games inner mechanics such that the tweaks made would BALANCE the game not ske wit in one direction or another too far.

It seems to me its to easy to cry "use the editor.." Its too much liek buying a car and expecting the new owner to make sure that the car runs properly and doesnt have serious problems. We're not all mechanics you know. Joe average may get the windshield viper fluid to a different colour but do you really expect them to replace a carburator every time they use it.?

I agree with mr. bill. I dont have problem with resources per se.. indeed most resources end of being obsolete or have workaround (ie nationalism) but Oil is just too critical (i'm not arguing history but game balance here). yes older units CAN take out more modern units sometimes .. but not always.. and besides some strategic option become inaccessible (air power,carriers, long range battelship shot, heavier transports...) Funny though you can build airports but not air units HAHAHA

Additional suggestion submitted to me. It seems silly that Oil is NOT required for the units to exist only to build them. I found that if I get oil on one turn I fill up my Queue with oil unist and THEY all get built and run despite my lack of oil. Shouldn't this be the other way around. (to teh guy who posted the blurb about the oil crisis - heh didnt stop car production.. just running them!). Perhaps Oil should be treated as .. if you have oil all of you oil unist move as normal. If you do not.. all movement is reduced to 1.

I still personally prefer the synthetic oil facility a sbeing more in flavour of the game..

Z
          "Capitalism is man exploiting man; communism is just the other way around."

Comment

Perhaps this isn't a resource imbalance at all, but a unit imbalance. Maybe there should just be some modern alternatives to oil-neccessary units, inferior but allowing options for the oil-less civ.

I shudder to think of this "feature" in multiplayer.
            "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

Excellent point jackshot. They idea of alternative units is a nice one. People complain about the petty whining now.. could you image multiplayer...

Z

Comment

Originally posted by jackshot
                Perhaps this isn't a resource imbalance at all, but a unit imbalance. Maybe there should just be some modern alternatives to oil-neccessary units, inferior but allowing options for the oil-less civ.
                I agree with this too. All the resources are fine. There simply needs to be an non-oil unit or 2 for the oil-less civs. The unit should not only be more expensive & weaker, but the technologies to get these units should be dead-end techs - this will keep oil still extremely valuable and most of all... strategic.

This only needs to be done for oil. ALL other strategic resources are fine.

Comment

Resources the way they are in Civ3 are just fine. Say you dont get oil, there are many things you can do to get it. If the computer has a surplus they will trade it to you if you have something it wants. If the computer is unwilling to trade you can go in and take the oil before they have the tech to build tanks. Works just fine for me.

In one game I had no coal, and you know what I did? I did not start to complain how bad the game was and how it is unblanced on here, no I did something about. First I was able to trade for it with the Zulus who had one surplus of coal, but that got depleted after a short number of turns. I then saw that thus one civ had some, but did not have the tech to use it, so I went in and took the city, it was easy.

In anther game I was playing as the americans but had no horses, so I traded with the Greeks for it. Then I was able to buy a city form Japan that had their only source of horses in it. I did this by renogiating our peace treaty, got it very cheep that way.

If you were to change how resources are in the game as they are now to what you want it would take most of the fun out of the game.

Also anther point the world map that comes with the game has lots of oil in it.
                  Last edited by Jack_www; November 19, 2001, 05:36.
                  Donate to the American Red Cross.
                  Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Yeah... just go get the oil, one way or another. It's realistic and involves STRATEGY, not just having everything handed to you on a platter. I look forward to having to make strategic decisions when I find out I don't have any iron, coal, whatever. It adds nice depth to the game.

Comment

oil! what about iron?!?!?

stop it with the oil, I can't ever find iron!

but I don't stop the game and restart until I start with iron. in fact I don't even research iron first, i go for monarchy...

point is, sometimes you'll have the resource, and other times you won't. Looks to me like the ARSE is applied until the game starts "perfectly" but then when theres a lack of essential goods in the late game... woops! too late to hit ctrl-shift-q now is it?

My last game, I had no resources except one horse. This was on a large map. I eventually conquered my neighboor for the iron, but then I was stuck on a huge island with only horses and iron no luxuries either. Things seemed to be getting worse when I didn't have gunpowder, no coal.

however in the end I had plenty of uranium, alum and oil. The other AIs where paying bigtime for it, and it felt good

You need to trade, and you need to improvise. Each game is going to be different. If you want to keep it the same, then I guess you can use the editor and make a map/rules/etc to how you want to play

Lack of resources is not the fault of the game, it's not a broken feature - it's the lack of skills by the player.

you can get your oil, it's possible no matter what. Go capture an AI city. Sell techs. Force the AI at gun(err sword?)point for the oil. read this thread for a handfull of other solutions.

Why does everyone feel the need to cry out for a patch, to address their own personal dislikes with the game. It's a very selfish attitude, and I've read too many of it now

Originally posted by Jack_www
                      Also anther point the world map that comes with the game has lots of oil in it.
                      i agree, there is plenty of oil on it... which is bad IMO. It ruined the endgame for me.

Comment

Civ3 should've been like this:

New Game
                        You have become the leader bla bla bla..............
                        CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON !

THAT would be fun !
                        But as long as that won't happen I just want to be sure that I have all resources in my territory and my enemy doesn't have any so I can trade it with them for much money.

Now we're on it, the AI actually builds wonders I want to build,
                        that must be patched !
                        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

lol@cybershy

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          Civ3 should've been like this:

New Game
                          You have become the leader bla bla bla..............
                          CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON !
                          Haha yeah... "You have become the leader of the Zulus. Your people have mastered the art of irrigation, mining, roads, NUCLEAR FISSION, SPACE FLIGHT, ..."

Comment

I disagree that oil, or any other strategic resource, needs to be balanced. Maybe you have it, maybe you don't. Sometimes that's just how things work.

Oil is absolutely essential for large-scale modern armed conflict, and has been the focal point for a number of wars and military operations. So was rubber, although synthetics have reduced the need for natural rubber these days.

But look, the war in the Pacific was started because Japan needed both of these resources to continue its war against China. The Western allies controlled pretty much all the rubber production in the world (kudos David Floyd for the 80% stat) and the US was the major supplier of oil to Japan. When the US and Western allies, tired of Japan’s ceaseless aggression in Asia, imposed a trade embargo on Japan in the summer of 1941, Japan absolutely had to have these resources to continue its fight. This is why it declared war on the US and the Western allies and sprung a series of sneak attacks to secure as many sources of these resources as possible. Japan never expected to conquer the US or the UK, but it did hope to wage a quick war to secure the resources it needed. It would then fortify its perimeter and hope to force an acceptable peace agreement.

Interestingly, had the Japanese not panicked and sent a third wave of bombers into Pearl Harbor to destroy the millions of gallons of oil reserves stored there, they would likely have forced the US to operate from thousands of miles away in San Francisco until sufficient reserves could have been built up again. Had they taken out the Pacific oil reserves, Japan might very well have been able to fortify their "co-prosperity sphere" perimeter enough to hold much of their gains.

Anyway, the point is that these strategic resources are exactly that. You will have to adapt your overall strategy to the fact that you either have them or you don't. If you do, sure, you're in the driver's seat and life can be easy. If you don't you'll have to try to get them, either by trade or by force, and failure will result in almost certain defeat. And if you can’t get them, well, maybe you’ll just have to lose with dignity or resign and start again.

Now, might this ruin an otherwise pleasant game? You bet; as the Romans I frowned when I had no saltpeter on my continent (which I wrested at cost from the Egyptians and an unholy alliance between them and, at times, everyone else). No worries, said I, I'll just skip Musketmen and go right to Riflemen. Not having Cavalry would be a short-term problem, I thought. More modern units would be on the horizon. I swore out loud when there was no rubber on the continent, either. Well, I thought, perhaps I can rely on the old Riflemen for a bit longer. Tanks and Battleships will have to be my salvation against the growing might of my larger enemies. When I discovered I had no oil either, I screwed myself into the ceiling. I was totally boned, destined to having Ironclads and Riflemen as my best units in the field. A war to take someone else’s oil was out of the question, since other countries were already fielding infantry and commissioning destroyers, and no one would trade oil with me, not for any price. So I restarted. Next game, as the Japanese, I have all the oil, and the others have squat.

Sometimes, that’s just how it goes. I think it should stay that way, too. It adds an extra level of depth to the game that, IMO, really helps keep things interesting from time to time.

Comment

I wouldn't mind if oil stayed the same, but I wouldn't mind if 2 additional dead-end techs were made for synthetic oil which would create inferior (slower, weaker, & more expensive) units. Either way, this seems like a minor issue.

Iron complainers - Iron has a higher Appearance Ratio than Oil.

Comment

This is game people not historical realism 101. Just because X happened in history doesnt mean that its represented in the game. Look, I dont think anyone is arguing historical points but rather game balance. Nor ar ethey asking to "have everything on platter."

For the historical purists. Yes resources ARE scarce but they are seldom in such scarcity that few nations are limited 0 sources. I would not complain about oil as much is it were simply TRADED on tehopen market (as it has an will be ). Yes Japan had US embargoes and limited access to oil , but that didnt mean she had NO oil. What were the planes and carriers they sent against PH powered with..FRUIT JUICE?

The point is few nations have ever been completely cut off from resource. It was usually available for trade or an alternative was found. It is interesting to note that many of the examples for situatiosn where nations were cut off from oil or another major resources was during wartime. Germany and Japan and many other nations had no problem getting oil during peacetime. Indeed Germany wa sbuying a lot of oil from Russia (and Roumania) right up until the invasion!!

I don not think anyone is asking for "easy" victory , but more like requesting that defeat is not inevitable.

Z

Comment

Working...
                                X