Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonies? bad idea gone worse.

We all know the issue.

we can use workers to build a thing called a coloney.

Well what is a coloney?

It would seem that through out history colonies have been the humble beginings of what would latter become cities.

And the colonies in Civ III never become cities.

Isn't that just awful? I can't believe the programers added colonies that never grow into cities. A wasted use of a "NAME!"

notice I wrote the word "NAME" in all caps and put quotes around it? Thats all it is folks it is a name. Nothing more.

I can solve this whole problem with colonies being worthless because they never become cities issue right now for everybody.

Change the name to mining camps.

OK cool they are not colonies anymore, now they are not expected to grow, they are not expected to have a culture radius, and they are not expected to do anything a city can do. All they can do is bring a remote resource into your empire and offer that often "FUN" eliment of a strategic military target. How many wars have been won by cutting an enemy off from his resources?

Thank you all, glad I could put so critical an issue to rest for everybody.

-Omnix

LOTS OF WARS HAVE BEEN WON BY CUTTING OF SUPPLIES!
    This happenes even during modern ages!. If you could prevent an army from access to food, or cut off oil lines to support building weapons then you have won the war
    Proud member of The Human Hive, working for a better future on Chiron, today!

Comment

good point.
      AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
      Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
      Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Re: Colonies? bad idea gone worse.

Originally posted by omnix
        issue right now for everybody.

Change the name to mining camps.

-Omnix

Yep, makes sense.
        The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

I suggest to give players the ability to build colonies on enemy territory/. But it is cause of war. So that weak countries can't fight with powerful and they will be strand their colonies. But when weak countries will come powerful enough they crash colonizers.

Comment

First few days of play I thought colonies were worthless. Since then they are of value when I want a resource just outside my border. Border grows, colony gets absorbed. Some games a far flung resource is desirable. Even if its for a limited duration, workers are cheap after you have 6 or so cities up and running.
            I've found that seldom would a settler be a more desirable, aka a city, in these instances where the resource is close to your border or so far away.

Trading Post! How about that for a rename!

Comment

I've used a colony only once to discover how useless they are... civs expand too fast... within 30 or so turns the great land grab is over and we now focus on developing cities... and why would you colonize a resource that will only get swallowed by an AI city?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Kravetski
                I suggest to give players the ability to build colonies on enemy territory/. But it is cause of war. So that weak countries can't fight with powerful and they will be strand their colonies. But when weak countries will come powerful enough they crash colonizers.
                I'm not trying to insult you, but I have *absolutely no clue* what that means.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it...

...don't you hate pants?

Comment

Read my (recent) thread on how I propose to make them useful.

ta.
                  Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
                  revolution inevitable.
                  -- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                    I... and why would you colonize a resource that will only get swallowed by an AI city?
                    Silk, incense, etc. those luxury items and their effects are worth the benefit. They help with the contentment ratio, and hence production. They can be used in trade for techs and stuff even if you lose the colony within the 20 turn span of the trade agreement. Iron, Saltpeter, and even sometimes oil are still unclaimed in many games and of course, are critical for the military, even if temporarily.

(Edited to add clarifier: I play on large maps.)

I'm to the point in playing where I scramble for every advantage I can get to achieve my goal of *stirring music* "A Civilization To Stand The Test of Time!". Wait, was that from CtP?
                    Last edited by Howling Chip; November 16, 2001, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Howling Chip
                      First few days of play I thought colonies were worthless.
                      Funny, first few days of play I thought they were usefull~

/dev

Comment

I've had the game since it was released, and have yet to make a colony.
                        You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

I made ONE colony and realized quickly what everyone else realizes - that they get swallowed up by the AI's borders in a few turns, and you're out a worker for nothing.

The only way to save this feature is to make the tile the colony is built on part of your territory and not subject to absorption except through conquest or cultural assimilation in the style of cities. The AI just plopping a city down nearby should NOT take the colony and the tile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig
                            The only way to save this feature is to make the tile the colony is built on part of your territory and not subject to absorption except through conquest or cultural assimilation in the style of cities. The AI just plopping a city down nearby should NOT take the colony and the tile away.
                            Absolutely agree with you.
                            Colonies should have their own border radius, so another city doesnt force them to leave. Otherwise you are just staking your claim until someone else wants that resource - which is pointless.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                            X