Civilization 3, and these boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 3, and these boards

Hi, my name is Brian, I'm a 14 year old from Kansas and I'd like to say hello. I have been watching over these forums for a long time just seeing what people have to say. I haven't really found too much out about civilization 3 as I had hoped. Instead I see a lot of people whining about minor things that they personally don't like or problems that make the game imperfect. I don't own the game but I plan to get it no matter how many complain about it. I have never played a Civilization game before but it looks like great fun and something worthy of my money rather than some of the other mindless games of today . I just wanted to say hi though and I hope to meet a lot of the members of the board who don't insult others and don't cry about problems over and over until they die or until the problem is fixed .

So in return I would like to thank you for reading my post and ask that you might post some of the positive feelings you have towards Civilization 3.

Re: Civilization 3, and these boards

Originally posted by TheHobbit
    I see a lot of people whining about minor things that they personally don't like or problems that make the game imperfect.

I hope to meet a lot of the members of the board who don't insult others and don't cry about problems over and over
    I realize you are young, but 14 is old enough to know about irony.

Comment

gee...how friendly of you

I said cry about problems over and over, for example, someone who says one thing and then gets ignored so he posts it again until he annoys people and starts a flame thread.

So much for friendly people right off the bat...

Comment

all I can say that for me, it has that just one more turn feeling.

I can't say it is addictive as civ2 where I stayed up to 4 or 5 in the morning playing.

But I played an entire game yesterday (standard map). The modern age is a bit tedious with pollution, but the game is addictive as ever.

The beginning is the really addictive part. It's a huge rush to get your empire laid down and stake out your land. Many early key wonders you try frantically to get. Very exciting. And the early warfare trying to push the ai back to expand your empire to a comptetive size (for me I like 20 to 30 cities). The warfare is exciting because while your civilization is concentrated on warfare others are researching extremely fast and building wonders. Then a mad rush to get infrastructure in place for democracy. This is the best part of the game for me.

Comment

Re: gee...how friendly of you

So much for friendly people right off the bat...
          Well, right off the bat you described some number of people as whiners who cry over and over. Had you not also asked to meet people who avoid insults I would have left this alone.

I certainly am glad to have new people here. Just thought you could use some help before someone more harsh came along.

Comment

Re: gee...how friendly of you

were you expecting a hug after calling people whiners?

are you a dl?
            Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

This board is different

I didn't name anyone in particular. It's not like I pointed my finger at you or anyone else specifically. Anyone posting after this ignore the temptation to insult me and try posting something useful. I don't wanna rgue, I just want to hear positive things about the game, is that too much to ask?

Comment

Re: Re: gee...how friendly of you

Originally posted by d_dudy
                are you a dl?
                I though about that as well. There are many here who freely insult others and tell them to shut up, only to get huffy at the less than polite response.

Comment

Re: This board is different

I didn't name anyone in particular. It's not like I pointed my finger at you or anyone else specifically.
                  Interesting- CyberShy made the same argument. Seems like speaking in generalities prevents insults.

How about this: people who only want to say/hear good things about the game are rather pathetic. I don't know, sounds insulting to me.

Comment

Whats a dl?

I didn't insult anyone or tell anyone to shutup. I'm not even going to bother continue posting for a while. N.C and d_dudy your some of the most impolite people I have ever met, yes I'm pointing directly at you for once. Forget it, if you wanna post good things about the game I'll read them if not I won't even bother answering.

Comment

You think we're impolite? Call Zykla a whiner. (Or better yet, compare your comments to ours.)

Anyway, there are many, many examples of people saying nice things about the game. As a dl I'm sure you already knew that.

Comment

Hi Hobbit. You may have noticed, when you looked through the windows and saw the chairs flying, that this was not the best time to walk in through the door and yell "suckers!". Although I, and many others, heartily agree with your impressions.

Something good about Civ 3? Well it is by far the best Civ style game I've played and I've played quite a few. (CoNW, SoA, CTP, EU, CivII, SMAC to name a few) What is good about it?

I like the fact that it seems to adapt to my playing style. If I want to go conqueror all over the AI it will let me but I'll pay the price. Corruption, unpopularity, thin culture, etc. If I want to play a peaceful trading/cultural game it will let me but I'll pay the price. Slow expansion, strong neighbours, stagnation, etc. When I balance those styles I get a balanced responce.

I like the combat system as it complements an excellent new resource system and, due to better unit balances, every combat at every age is the hair raising affair I think it should be. With the combination of the combat system, corruption, culture and strategic resources a game balance is struck and held remarkably. That is to say, that has been my experience in six games on a normal map on regent.

Zap

Comment

deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-elllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls!

And hello, newbies.

Comment

Re: Re: gee...how friendly of you

Originally posted by n.c.
                            Well, right off the bat you described some number of people as whiners who cry over and over. Had you not also asked to meet people who avoid insults I would have left this alone.

I certainly am glad to have new people here. Just thought you could use some help before someone more harsh came along.
                            I think you, he and everybody else got that from your initial post, NC. It detracts from the sarcasm if you explain it right afterwards. (Poor form...)

Comment

If you've never played the game before, you will think its great. The only people who are seriously dissapointed are the core gamers. Mostly, the core gamers are usually the posters as well. Which explains why a disproportionate amount of the posts are complaints.

Comment

Working...
                              X