Should the AI respect your borders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the AI respect your borders?

Let's say you kick the AI out once, shouldn't that make it an act of war if the AI crosses the borders again (unless of cause you have made a right-of-passage agreement)???
    Yeah, that would be great if they could make that
    59.26%
    No, it's better the way it is now
    22.22%
    It needs a change, but your idea is not good enough (If you have an idea please share)
    18.52%
    I choose this option because I don't care at all about this
    0.00%
    This space is empty... or is it?

I certainly don't understand why border agreements do not last a few turns like the others. 20 turns is too long but even 10 would give some surcease from the endless wandering unit problems. Of course that concept came from CtP and we know Firaxis didn't look at the competition to see if they had any good ideas worth adopting.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Perhaps it should be changed so that if the AI violates your border after you've told it not to the player should be able to declare war with no penalties on their reputation.
      "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Comment

Yes. Something needs to be done b/c borders only apply to the human player in Civ III as it stands.

Comment

if the AI crosses your border it IS an act of war,
          but you can decide to not declare war. It's your choise.

Like the countries in East Europe suffered the presence of Russian troops. The population wished the russians would go, but they weren't at war.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

Like the countries in East Europe suffered the presence of Russian troops. The population wished the russians would go, but they weren't at war.
            But why do they ACCEPT the agreement to stop violating the borders? If the diplomacy answer was "I'll go where I like" then fine, lets have a war. It is not acceptable to have them go "Certainly, we're leaving" only to repeat the violations next turn. The words do not match the actions.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Hmmm not sure. I haven't been really bothered by frequent AI intrusions.

I did note the Germans keeping to move their settler+spearman through my territories to found a city on the polar region of the continent in one game. But they don't interdict movement, they don't inhibit food/resources harvesting, basically, they are harmless.

Come to think of it, the americans stationed some defensive troops in my lands too, but they were of no hindrance until pollution came to be on the square they occupied. They left upon request though.

Comment

But why do they ACCEPT the agreement to stop violating the borders? If the diplomacy answer was "I'll go where I like" then fine, lets have a war. It is not acceptable to have them go "Certainly, we're leaving" only to repeat the violations next turn. The words do not match the actions
                yeah, that's what the germans said to the dutch as well in 1945,
                don't worry, we'll leave you out of this..........

the AI is evil
                kill them for their evil lies !
                declare war on them and raze their cities !
                They'll learn to handle you with respect !
                Lying bastards !

Comment

i dont respect the ai borders either
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I fail to follow your logic.

To use a real life example then you're saying that the netherlands declared war on germany in 1940 when the germans crossed the border, and that the they could have avoided being occupied by not declaring war because it was their choice.

?

/dev

Comment

Yes that can be that way, but what if I want to keep peace with them, but I don't want them inside my borders. It's really annoying telling them to leave, they say "sure, we'll leave", and the next turn they enters my country again

They shall stay out of my country

Comment

To use a real life example then you're saying that the netherlands declared war on germany in 1940 when the germans crossed the border, and that the they could have avoided being occupied by not declaring war because it was their choice.
                        Well, the germans didn't only cross the border,
                        they started to shoot as well.

I fail to follow your logic.
                        keep on trying !

Yes that can be that way, but what if I want to keep peace with them, but I don't want them inside my borders
                        Seems they don't want to have peace with you.
                        If you want to play a game in which the AI does what you want to do, buy a 16 pc-netwerk and wait until the mp patch shippes. Then play against yourself 16 times

Comment

>>Like the countries in East Europe suffered the presence of Russian troops. The >>population wished the russians would go, but they weren't at war.

Err.. NO!

The COMMUNIST governments of many EE countries accepted the presence of Russian troops under the aegis of the Warsaw Pact treaty. Indeed not all EE countries had Russian troops in them. By thsi logic it was an intergovernemental access agreement. (Yeah ok the population wasnt too happy about both the Russians and communism..) but this was hardly trespassing. Threspassing is more like the US sticking troops in China, despite china telling the US to find some other form of self-gratification.

THE AI should repect the same logic as humans.. Trepass #1 = warning Trespass #2 -= war.. end of story I hate doubel standards .. teh AI just trespasses.. on .. and on..

It just make sit soo hard to play benelovent power when the AI refuses to stop rampaging through you and YOU have to declare war to stop despiteteh fact that they are the ones who are commiting acts of war..

Heh he.. oen cute solution a friend suggested.. any non-access granted unist in your territory are considered "free-lunch" and attack them gratis without declaring war...

"ahh they are 'renegades' and/or you 'could not care less' .. well I guess that means you could care less I clobber them"

Z
                          "Capitalism is man exploiting man; communism is just the other way around."

Comment

Haw

"But why do they ACCEPT the agreement to stop violating the borders? If the diplomacy answer was "I'll go where I like" then fine, lets have a war. It is not acceptable to have them go "Certainly, we're leaving" only to repeat the violations next turn. The words do not match the actions"

You must not be thinking clearly or not remebering history. Plenty of times in our history have people said " Sure,well go away" only to invade next day,or do some other annoying politico thing.

Heres a rough example,when Hitler was starting his rise to power Churchill (British prime minister at the time) talked with Hitler and basicly asked him are you going to invade or what? Hitler said naw,just reuniting germans we wont cross any more borders we promise we bo good lil boys. Little while later Poland was occupied and WW2 starting to rage.

The Very randomness of the Ai's diplomacy makes it realistic,you cant trust any politico to do ANYTHING they say they gonna do.

Comment

Re: Haw

Originally posted by Vytae
                              Heres a rough example,when Hitler was starting his rise to power Churchill (British prime minister at the time) talked with Hitler and basicly asked him are you going to invade or what? Hitler said naw,just reuniting germans we wont cross any more borders we promise we bo good lil boys. Little while later Poland was occupied and WW2 starting to rage.
                              The difference here is that the AI don't want to attack me (only the enemy in the other side of my country). It's not like I tell them to back off, they agree just to attack me next turn. It's like I tell them to go back, they go back, they crosses the borders, I tell them to go back, they go back again, they crosses the borders again, etc...etc...etc...And this keeps going this way until one of those countries are wasted

Comment

Working...
                              X