raze or keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raze or keep?

Can I stop a city on another continent to revert back to it's formal owner or should I always raze cities that I take that is far away from my capitol?

Please help me

I always raze, unless the city has a wonder in it.

Most of my captured cities have pop.1 and no city improvements because I usually bombarded them with 20+ artillery for 2 turns before I attack. So why risk a revolt when I can easily produce a settler and found a new city?

Comment

Yes, but is it really the revolting citizen that is the problem? They disappear fairly fast. Isn't it the culture of the other country that is the problem? If I want to keep it, what should I do?

Comment

No, not just the resisting citizens. If they are of a different nationality, then they have a much higher chance of revolting. And they never disappear.

If you really want to keep it, do these:

1. Rush build culture buildings in it.
        2. Garrison the city with a lot of cheap units, but don't put a lot of expensive units in it. If it revolts, they will go poof.
        3. (not sure if this is effective) I build a lot of settlers and workers from these cities, hopefully the foreign citizens will decrease. Any new citizens will be of your nationality.
        4. Destroy the original owner of the city as soon as possible
        5. Make sure the citizens are happy. We love the king day works wonders.
        6. Absolutely no civil disorders.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome. Don't blame me if they don't work

Comment

um, while building settlers and workers, bring in your workers (of your nationality) and join them in a city (colonization a la russians in the baltic states). if anyone thinks that this is unrealistic, ask solver

Comment

Great idea Can't wait until I get home so I can try it out...

Comment

I usually raze and if I really want to, build another city where it used to be. I use the scorched earth policy, which works surprisingly well. Trying to build up, defend, or subdue captured cities really puts a hamper on war efforts.

And before anyone starts harping on me about genocide, if they go to war with me, they're asking for it. That's what war is. I don't play nice when someone picks a fight.

LaRusso is dead on with the workers joining cities tactic if you really want to keep the city, though.

LR

Comment

With the effect of corruption in captured cities, would it not seem like a better idea to raze the city? And then just have one of your "uber-cities" pump out some settlers to colonize the area? Then no foreign devils to sully your empire (Ach, Kidding, kidding. Would not want the PC police to jump on my head for my remarks
                    Hey, whas tha pointy thing, and why is it sticking in the ground? And why is there a human head on it... Oh damn.

Comment

I have never razed a city, and I was glad, until i conquered the french. I was unaware of their 'other' base on anohter island and i conquered all their cities in one place, and half of them have already reoined! needless to say, i have rush-built something every turn in the remaining cities, be it a temple or INfantry
                      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I found that, if you can afford to do it, is better to raze the crap out of every city in a given area, and then refound cities there. 90% of the time.

Sure, I usually have enough money to buy culture improvements, but do I really want to?

BTW, is there a disband city option? cause I take over mostly small cities (for some reason, they don't like being bombed.... strange ) and if I could disband it and make a settler in exchange, I'd be happy

oh, and back to my origonal note: I am fighting the americans, and I kept the cities that are on MY continent, but as soon as I go to fight on American soil (relax guys, its in the game.... not real life) I will raze....

so overall..... colonies=take over, "homeland" cities=raze and build new
                        -=Dave=-
                        aka Pangaea
                        aka Civ Guy

Comment

Actually, has anyone ever managed to bomb a city into oblivion? I mean, onr game, as the French, I had 36 bombers in one city(god, I love shift-r for them. Re base them on the front lines, hehe). So every turn, I bomb the crap outta them, and yet, it did not do a damn thing. Sure, some improvements are gone, some pop too, but I want to be able to bomb a city into oblivion. Just sedn 50 bombers to the city in question, and it should be possible. But the question is, is it? Curious, s'all
                          Hey, whas tha pointy thing, and why is it sticking in the ground? And why is there a human head on it... Oh damn.

Comment

for one reason or another, bombers don't
                            a) kill cities entirerly, it will always keep at least one pop
                            or b) kill units fully

If I had known this before I attacked, I could have taken most of the american cities by now, instead of attacking with 35 bombers on a galleon
                            -=Dave=-
                            aka Pangaea
                            aka Civ Guy

Comment

What a sneaky tactic. I thought you had to wait until carriers to put bombers on your naval vessels
                              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                              X