Play Civ3? i think not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play Civ3? i think not.

I got this game the 2nd day it was released, and now, I'm tired of it. It is just not interesting and very tiresome to controll. I have already sold it on eBay, and got Empire Earth and Yuri's Revenge. I guess the days of TBS has come to an end.
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

I just bought some tasty oranges. Oranges are better than apples. I guess the day of apples are at an end.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Diehard Civ fan that I am, I hate to say this, but I'm getting tired of Civ3 too. A couple of things that really bother me about the game. First, on large worlds, even with a PIII computer, in the mid to late game it takes 1 minute minimum for the computer to move. Second, even with a very happy kingdom and research set to 90% and trading techs as fast as I can, I end up building ALL city improvements and have no build choices other than military units. Siiince I generally try to play the peaceful perfectionist I have no need of military beyond a sufficient defense, and yet, this game leaves me no choice but to build military anyway.

So I end up spending less than half my time persuing my strategy and the majority of my time building what the game forces me to build.

I hate to say this, but I think Firaxis blew it with this game.

John-SJ

Comment

Yes, the building issue is valid one for sure. Other times, things like the explorer come only after the entire map is explored. Huh?

Rookie mistakes.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I'm not gonna say they blew it yet. They still have a chance to fix the game. It's a long shot, but if anyone can do it firaxis just might have the commitment to long run success that other companies (activision) are painfully lacking.

I mean come on, this is firaxis...

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            Yes, the building issue is valid one for sure. Other times, things like the explorer come only after the entire map is explored. Huh?

Rookie mistakes.
            I thought I was the only one who noticed that - I got the explorer unit after I new every piece of land on the earth. Kinda pointless. Maybe the explorer should come at an earlier tech...

Venger

Comment

I think that it's very telling that you exchanged Civ III for a Command and Conquer game. Perhaps something like Quake III would be more to your liking as well?
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

But you gotta buy Civ III for Civ IV, damnit.

C'mon, these developers are rookies. (The original and experienced team has gone away with B. Reynolds, I suppose). For the game itself - it ain't a bad game by far. Some of you might not have the patience, but there's a lot that can be liked with this game.

If you stay much longer, give them input on how to make a better Civ game. I have a LOT of input and ideas for them if they decide to make a Civ 4 which will be decided if there's enough enthusiasm or not. I'm sticking in til the end. I want to see the ultimate Civ 4.

Comment

Seems the community is still divided about how good this game realy is, i guess us others who couldnt get it at release date can thank our lucky stars we got you guys to review it for us
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    I just bought some tasty oranges. Oranges are better than apples. I guess the day of apples are at an end.
                    The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                      I end up building ALL city improvements and have no build choices other than military units. Siiince I generally try to play the peaceful perfectionist I have no need of military beyond a sufficient defense, and yet, this game leaves me no choice but to build military anyway.
                      Can you say, Wealth?
                      The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                        Diehard Civ fan that I am, I hate to say this, but I'm getting tired of Civ3 too. A couple of things that really bother me about the game. First, on large worlds, even with a PIII computer, in the mid to late game it takes 1 minute minimum for the computer to move. Second, even with a very happy kingdom and research set to 90% and trading techs as fast as I can, I end up building ALL city improvements and have no build choices other than military units. Siiince I generally try to play the peaceful perfectionist I have no need of military beyond a sufficient defense, and yet, this game leaves me no choice but to build military anyway.

So I end up spending less than half my time persuing my strategy and the majority of my time building what the game forces me to build.

I hate to say this, but I think Firaxis blew it with this game.

John-SJ
                        \1) hold shift while AI moves. it will be over in 15 secs. try normal worlds until you get p4
                        2) try playing at a higher difficulty level
                        3) yeah they blew it. they should have probably taken civ 2 glorious approach whereby you slept through middle ages, and then went on tank blitz over railroads and bribing spree, mopping up all the civs.
                        so i guess civ 1 is your fav then?

Comment

Re: Play Civ3? i think not.

Originally posted by Dida
                          I got this game the 2nd day it was released, and now, I'm tired of it. It is just not interesting and very tiresome to controll. I have already sold it on eBay, and got Empire Earth and Yuri's Revenge. I guess the days of TBS has come to an end.
                          yeah mind controlled dogs and psychic squids beat 'buggy' corruption every time

Comment

This is making me just sick. Civ 3 is the best gamer released. I can not imagine of a single bad point about this game, and everything I think is good.
                            I actually thought that Civ 2 isn't a worthy sequel to Civ 1, though still good.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

solver, you're da man!

Comment

Working...
                              X