Boycott Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott Civ 3

In extension from our unanswered "open letter to Firaxis," where the scenario community was effectively snubbed, I am proposing that anyone who dissapproves of Firaxis not including a decent editor and not providing us any information on future upgrades should simply refuse to buy the game until Firaxis shows at least some consideration of the scenario-making community. Why should I pay fifty dollars on the HOPE that Firaxis will erase their mistakes by providing a bang-up editor. Until they show us a decent editor, we shouldn't give them any money. We need to make it financially risky to push an unprepared product onto the market.
    "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

since when was an editor part of the main game?

Obviosly, having scenario mods are great but the game in itself is well worth the 50 bucks.

Heck, I'd pay 100 bucks for it without an editor.

And the editor that comes with the game is kicka$$ in terms of editing the game!

Just watch for a patch for them to make an editor for scenario creation. Afterall, the primary goal is to make Civ 3 an addictive game and they've already done that.

Comment

One answer: No.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, I wouldn't. What kept my interest in Civ alive this long is that I was able to do alot of creative things with the game. For some reason, Firaxis decided to hamper scenario-making abilities instead, and when I buy games, I buy them to last.

Besides, Imran, when was the last time you made a scenario?
        "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

Comment

I'm confidant that firaxis will put out a decent editor (although we might have to wait for an expansion pack before we get one that addresses most of our needs)... because the scenario community kept the civ games popular, if they don't release a decent editor I'm sure their future sales of smac2 and civ4 would be hurt (who knows, people might buy stp3 instead )

So, no boycott (besides... I already bought it... the day it came out!)

Comment

Double post.
            Last edited by techumseh; November 11, 2001, 09:39.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Sorry Hoek, I've already bought it. What I find interesting though, is that a number of new posters have suddenly appeared on the boards, singing the praises of Civ3. Now I know there's nothing unusual about that, but take ComputerEnginee for example. (S)he's new today, and has 27 posts so far, posted between 19:07 and 20:50. All are Civ3 BJ's. Someone's working pretty hard to counter the negative reaction of many experinced Civers.

And there are others, too. Maybe they're legit, but maybe they're Anonymous.
              Last edited by techumseh; November 11, 2001, 09:41.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                Sorry Hoek, I've already bought it. What I find interesting though, is that a number of new posters have suddenly appeared on the boards, singing the praises of Civ3. Now I know there's nothing unusual about that, but take ComputerEnginee for example. (S)he's new today, and has 27 posts so far, posted between 19:07 and 20:50. All are Civ3 BJ's. Someone's working pretty hard to counter the negative reaction of many experinced Civers.

And there are others, too. Maybe they're legit, but maybe they're: http://www.anonymous1.com (Infrogrames marketing firm for Civ3)
                Anonymous is not a marketing firm. They're the web design firm who did the layout for Civ3.com. I highly doubt they're trolling Apolyton.

Dan
                Dan Magaha
                Firaxis Games, Inc.
                --------------------------

Comment

And there are others, too. Maybe they're legit, but maybe they're: http://www.anonymous1.com (Infrogrames marketing firm for Civ3)
                  Very interesting...

What does mean BJ's(Civ3 BJ's)?
                  I do not want to achieve immortality threw my work. I want to achieve it threw not dying - Woody Allen

Comment

blowjobs of course

Dan...seriously though...what about scenarios? I do understand and respect the decision to concentrate on making the game itself fun and addictive, given your (seemingly) unreasonable time constraints by Infogrames....but on the other hand scenarios and mods really kept Civ2 alive for many people...I dunno if you ever played any scenarios but stuff like Harlan's Middle Earth, or WW2, or maybe John Petroski's Sicily/Italy WW2 scenario, etc, etc, were great...
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                      Dan...seriously though...what about scenarios? I do understand and respect the decision to concentrate on making the game itself fun and addictive, given your (seemingly) unreasonable time constraints by Infogrames....but on the other hand scenarios and mods really kept Civ2 alive for many people...I dunno if you ever played any scenarios but stuff like Harlan's Middle Earth, or WW2, or maybe John Petroski's Sicily/Italy WW2 scenario, etc, etc, were great...

David,

While I have no "official" news to report, I can tell you that we do take the needs of scenario and mod builders seriously -- work continues to be done on the editor, and the first patch will bear this out. I can't give you any dates because to my knowledge nothing has been set in stone yet. I know you're all ready to get started, just bear with us.

Dan
                      Dan Magaha
                      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

David,

While I have no "official" news to report, I can tell you that we do take the needs of scenario and mod builders seriously -- work continues to be done on the editor, and the first patch will bear this out. I can't give you any dates because to my knowledge nothing has been set in stone yet. I know you're all ready to get started, just bear with us.

Dan
                        Glad to hear it Dan. But why does it take a provocative post to get your attention when an attempt at a serious and well thought out appeal gets ignored? Really, the worst thing Firaxis can do now is turtle. Let us know what's planned, what's possible and what's not. We might not be happy, but at least we can respect the fact that you're willing to level with us.

BTW, the 2nd post was supposed to be the edit of the first. My mistake.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Glad to hear it Dan. But why does it take a provocative post to get your attention when an attempt at a serious and well thought out appeal gets ignored? Really, the worst thing Firaxis can do now is turtle. Let us know what's planned, what's possible and what's not. We might not be happy, but at least we can respect the fact that you're willing to level with us.

BTW, the 2nd post was supposed to be the edit of the first. My mistake.
                          If you're referring to the "Open Letter... " thread, I can't speak for anyone else, but I was under the impression it was a thread for organizing comments that would be compiled and mailed to someone here. That's why I didn't comment on anything posted to that thread. (Not that my participation in the thread would really have made much of an impact)

When and if I am given further official details I will share them, believe me.

Dan
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

But we clearly asked for a response on the thread. I'm concerned about the "when and if" bit also. It would be so much better to get a dialogue going.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Firaxis is not the game publisher. Why don't you people take your gang rape and focus it on Infogrames. They're the ones who decided on a release date, not Firaxis.

To refresh your memories, the guys at Firaxis are the ones who are LIKE US. They love gaming. They worked all through the night, night after night, testing and coding their hearts out. People who bash these guys are contemptible trash, in my opinion. I'll give them no quarter.

And the crazy suggestion that Firaxis planted sycophants here is proof positive, as far as I'm concerned, of a profound and disturbing psychosis on the part of the suggesters.

Damn. Just plain damn.
                              "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Working...
                              X