Is it me, or is Civ3 worse then CTP2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sabre2th
    Is it just me or were all of those complaints kinda pointless? You're just complaining that the game takes too much work. The whole point of the game is to challenge yourself, to make yourself think. That's always been the point of civ. If you don't want to think and work for it, go play something else.
    Well look, maybe we look from different angels at this game, but every game i played till today, including the civ games, always for for fun, amusement, entertainment, to relax, BUT NOT TO WORK FOR!

WORK is what i do everyday when i go to my work in REALLIFE, i have definitely NO ambitions to also start work in my free-time. and especially not for a game, like i said i never did, and i'll never do.

If i maybe got your point wrong, then correct me, if not, then i'm thinking if i should be sad with ppl like you. :-/

just my two f-ing cents,

SkinJob
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't like my typos and/or my grammar, you are free to -CENSORED- my -CENSORED-, 'coz i just don't give a -CENSORED-! ;-)

Comment

Just you.

While Civ III is a 3 out of 5 game, CTP2 scores negative several thousand...

Furthermore, while CTP2 was immediately dropped by Activision, it looks like we'll see some patching of CivIII, which hopefully will make the game a good game, worthy of the civilization name.

i do agree, however, that it feels like the CivIII designers conciously thought 'Oh, that is part of CTP, so we can't use that, or people will say we've only stolen stuff from CTP'. Cause let's face it... Not using the combat system from CTP is like insisting on chopsticks when there is a fork available. The only possible reason you would do something as stupid as that is pride...
      Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGnu
        The only possible reason you would do something as stupid as that is pride...
        That's what i start to think somehow. And when the combat would be the only thing that was better but not taken from ctp2, then i would be much less upset.

Like i said before i'm just so angry/mad because i really WANT to love this game. I want to have fun playing it, but in it's current state i just cant. and that somehow, even if it's wierd, hurts, because i awaited it for so long, and then this dissapointment.

but whatever, i just hope for better to come.
        DISCLAIMER: If you don't like my typos and/or my grammar, you are free to -CENSORED- my -CENSORED-, 'coz i just don't give a -CENSORED-! ;-)

Comment

Civ 3 is depessing. The world really seems fake.
          I just think it is pointless and not rewarding any fashion.

BUt this game is just depressing. The atmosphere is strang
          my thoughts civ 3:

I had to create an account and post: MonarchyMajor is right on. This game is just not fun. I enjoyed civ 2 for a couple years (really enjoyed it) and with civ 3, I don't feel "in" of the game. I have been struggling to put this into words since I got the game about a week ago and the best I can do so far is to come up with amorphous concepts. Sure, the issues like cities reverting back are ridiculous. But these types of things can be patched. The real problem is that playing the game is not fun for me because the experience of playing the game is remote and tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by nfo1212

my thoughts civ 3:

I had to create an account and post: MonarchyMajor is right on. This game is just not fun. I enjoyed civ 2 for a couple years (really enjoyed it) and with civ 3, I don't feel "in" of the game. I have been struggling to put this into words since I got the game about a week ago and the best I can do so far is to come up with amorphous concepts. Sure, the issues like cities reverting back are ridiculous. But these types of things can be patched. The real problem is that playing the game is not fun for me because the experience of playing the game is remote and tedious.
            Yeah, your right, the "feeling" is just not there. The game wont suck you really in. Like if the game just is unfinished, or just completed too fast.

Comment

is the first post in this thread supposed to be a parody? He's complaining because his slums are being assimilated by other culutures.

people, people, people -- wake up! This is not Civ2, the game is different. The game is better. You have to adjust your strategies and quit blaming the game.

If you are having game balance problems and getting your *** kicked, it is because you are getting your *** kicked, not because of game balance problems.

Comment

Originally posted by squid
                is the first post in this thread supposed to be a parody? He's complaining because his slums are being assimilated by other culutures.

people, people, people -- wake up! This is not Civ2, the game is different. The game is better. You have to adjust your strategies and quit blaming the game.

If you are having game balance problems and getting your *** kicked, it is because you are getting your *** kicked, not because of game balance problems.
                [ ]You got my point
                [ ]You read my whole post
                [ ]Your post contributed to solve some problems
                [ ]You are older then 12
                [x]You could get a qualification as flamer

so long,

sj

Comment

It's a good question, but there is too much steam whistling out of some ears. I never played CtP2, but I did buy CtP1. Here is what I think. Plus (+) is for Civ3, Minus (-) is for CtP.

+ So far, Civ3 is more fun to play. I have no idea how long lasting that fun will be, but so far, so good.
                  - I much preferred the PW system. It makes more sense, and if Firaxis is as committed to "streamlining" the game as they claim, then that would be the way to go.
                  - The graphics of CtP were far superior. The units in Civ3 are nice, but the terrain of CtP wins hands down.
                  - CtP introduced Bombardment. Let's give that to them.
                  + Culture is an original Civ3 concept, and it works great. If cities resist, then that's because the opponent is superior, or you are not doing your bit to convince them that you are the one and only.
                  - Combat in CtP was better. Stacked combat makes more sense, is more realistic and more fun. Only better example I have seen is in Conquest Of The New World.
                  + Air Combat in Civ3 is great. Best I have seen.
                  - CtP had wondermovies. Sure, it's not a make-or-break issue, but were talking about our hard earned cash.

It's a shame the CtP series have been scrapped. They did have a lot to offer.
                  To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Air Combat in Civ3 is great. Best I have seen.
                    so u have seen air combat that includes not being able to destroy ships and not being able to intercept enemy bombers.
                    Im sorry Mr Civ Franchise, Civ3 was DOA

Comment

To much has been improved to even compare it to CTP2

Ctp2 hd promise but alot things destroyed that game for me.

1. Silly units in the modern+ time and cartoon graphics what were they thinking.

2. No AI, there were no AI what so ever they could not attack they could not use plans fro example.

3. No support from activision, although the game improved from scenarion makers but that took time and the game was broken,

There is no comparing enough said. But one thing seems to be the case those that want a harder game likes civ3 they who do not like a hard game do not like civ3. Play on chieftain good damnit and don't make the game easier for the people that wannt it to be hard. Whats the point of playing a game when its a walk over.

Stop winning you English no good Knigits.

"Your mother was a hamster and yor father smelled from elderberries."

Comment

I agree, skinjob, about the lack of Public Work (not Firaxis' fault, though; it's the copyright laws) and the battle system (copyrights might have applied to this, too, however). All of your other complaints are actually improvements, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Matte979
                          To much has been improved to even compare it to CTP2

Ctp2 hd promise but alot things destroyed that game for me.

1. Silly units in the modern+ time and cartoon graphics what were they thinking.

2. No AI, there were no AI what so ever they could not attack they could not use plans fro example.

3. No support from activision, although the game improved from scenarion makers but that took time and the game was broken,

There is no comparing enough said. But one thing seems to be the case those that want a harder game likes civ3 they who do not like a hard game do not like civ3. Play on chieftain good damnit and don't make the game easier for the people that wannt it to be hard. Whats the point of playing a game when its a walk over.

Stop winning you English no good Knigits.

"Your mother was a hamster and yor father smelled from elderberries."

1. This not a point of gameplay, you dont like the graphics, or the units are too futuristic for you? Well still not a fun-factor/gameplay issue!

2. The AI in Civ3 is more active, the diplomacy seems better. but often the AI cheats and just look like it would be good. But on AI i agree that civ3 has a plus.

3. Support, well ok activision did a ****ty job with that, ok, but at least ACTIVISON DONT TRIES TO RIP OFF ITS CUSTOMERS AND SELL THEM THE MULTIPLAYER PART, you get it all inclusive, free house delivered.

Civ3 has to be compared on CTP2, and it just have to much things that are worse than in ctp2.

For sure, just to say it once again, things like the aggressive/active AI are ok, and Culture ssems innovative, at least it did before i started loosing conquered cities every two turns, but hey maybe thats just a problem in my eyes.

And well, i am not english, never was, but hey, you know what? Just nevermind!

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                            I agree, skinjob, about the lack of Public Work (not Firaxis' fault, though; it's the copyright laws) and the battle system (copyrights might have applied to this, too, however). All of your other complaints are actually improvements, I think.
                            Sure this are improvements, but what for are improvements when they actually dont work and/or are broken?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              If the "only" negative thing about a game was that it got so boring, I wouldn't play it either.
                              I agree.
                              And hey, why don't YOU try the game since you've already bought it, instead of letting other people make decisions for you.
                              Good point, I admit. But there are also people without the game (for instance, in Europe) that still try to make up their minds, so speaking without playing is not foolish in itself.
                              To SkinJob, I think Imran said what I would have said
                              Ah, the delicate balanced impartial fanatic
                              To add, Civ III [...] is actually quite innovative. There is a lot you have to get used to before you can become good.
                              Innovative? Really? Apart from culture, it is definitely the most CONSERVATIVE game I ever saw... I mean it even got BACKWARD from SMAC... and it does not feature MP or scenarios!!! It is innovative just from the point of view of Firaxis' bronze face in selling such a raw, cut and rushed (even if good, remember that I think it is good, it could not be anything else being so close to the "genre") game.
                              Except for a few erros (which will hopefully be fixed in the patch) the game works very well.
                              Bear the bugs, and keep up hoping. And be ready to pay for expansions, scenarios, upgrades, MP editions, gold editions.
                              I personally will wait until the gold (global, final, complete) edition, if any.

A final note: while I think that CtP I&II are bad, I still like some of the innovations (stacked combat, public works, some covert units) that they put in. Sadly, they do not make up for the game, if the rest is of poor quality.
                              Last edited by Yoleus; November 10, 2001, 11:07.
                              The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Originally posted by SkinJob

Well look, maybe we look from different angels at this game, but every game i played till today, including the civ games, always for for fun, amusement, entertainment, to relax, BUT NOT TO WORK FOR!

WORK is what i do everyday when i go to my work in REALLIFE, i have definitely NO ambitions to also start work in my free-time. and especially not for a game, like i said i never did, and i'll never do.

If i maybe got your point wrong, then correct me, if not, then i'm thinking if i should be sad with ppl like you. :-/

just my two f-ing cents,

SkinJob
                                The whole civ concept is meant to make you think. The point of the game is to challenge you. It isn't WORK like you call it. If you're playing on chieftain and are still having trouble, you need to adjust your strategies.

Also - If there is a feature in the game that you don't like, complaining won't do much. Most of the complaints I read from you were about things that you wanted completely changed (ie public works and combat). Many of these are things that couldn't have been put in anyway. Even if they were put in, other people would have complained

Bottom Line: Most of the stuff you're complaining about can't/won't be changed. If you don't like the game, don't play it.

BTW - Squid is more right than you here.

Comment

Working...
                                X