No announcement yet.

Civ3 Patch - Red/Green Colorblindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm color-blind too. (<-- that's not me being cool, that's me being [color]blind ). Just in case you wonder, stop lights were designed with color-blind people in mind. I may not see the red light and green light as you see them, but they still look different to me, and this is by design (can you imagine the chaos if the Department of Transportation had not been so thoughtful?).

If you have normal color vision and you want to see what the color blind see, go to http://www.vischeck.com/showme.shtml . They have a color blindness simulator (scroll down on the page). As a color blind person, I can tell you that it's accurate -- the "normal" picture and the "color blind" picture look exactly the same to me (of course there's no way for me to see what someone with normal vision sees). It also shows the rarer blue/yellow form of color blindness (now that one looks different to me).

Anyway the site seems to be a way to promote their color-blindness simulator software, which would allow you to see any image as the color blind see it. Maybe Firaxis should buy it.

Comment

Re: Re: Civ3 Patch - Red/Green Colorblindness

Originally posted by stend
      I don't want to minimize the importance of the game being accessible to those who are colorblind, but you really need to distinguish problems from not reading the manual from problems due to poor color selection. As for the forest and the jungle looking similar, again, that's not a colorblindness issue - the graphics for those are way too similar.
      It's not really an issue of reading the manual or not. I'm also red/green colorblind as well. I noticed a little dot next to units, but didn't realize that they were changing colors. I can often tell the difference between colors if I look real hard and tend not to look that hard unless something like that is pointed out. If I had seen the change in colors I probably would have started looking at the manual to see what the colors meant.

I also have trouble telling the difference between the jungle and some of the forest squares. I've been doing a lot of right clicking on things. I do feel like I can play the game ok as it is, but would welcome some tweeking to help us out.

BTW...as far as traffic lights go. Red is always on the top or on the left and green is brighter then the red. I didn't know that they mixed other colors in with them. The only time I have trouble are the blinking yellow or red lights when they only have one light there. If there aren't any cars in front of me to help me out I take my best guess, but slow down and watch for cars crossing the other way.

Comment

Tried the simulator on my webpage, but my CSS messed it up .

Got around it, though - took a screenshot and ran the picture through - it looks like my page is colorblind-friendly.
        Last edited by CobraA1; November 8, 2001, 16:22.
        "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Add my voice to the chorus calling for this option. I have a minor hearing comprehension problem (I hear OK; I just have trouble understanding and retaining heard information. For example, song lyrics are usually opaque to me.), so I can imagine how annoying color confusion can be.

As I'm still waiting for delivery, can someone tell me how easy it is to assign a custom color (or pattern?) to a given Civ? Do you assign them at startup? Or does a file it require a text editor or paint program?

Just curious.

Comment

I'm colour-blind too. I think that more serious than the terrain mod (since that can be changed by us) is the civ colours. Some of them I simply can't tell appart (i.e. Germans vs. French, Egyptians vs. Greeks). This makes it very difficult to know who a city belongs to, as there is *NO OTHER WAY* to find out (other than by the name, but it can be conquered, so that's not always sufficient). At least before you could click on it and see. This also makes the borders on the mini-map hard to distinguish.

Please Firaxis, fix this!

Comment

One thing that is still common with game designs is the use of a single colour to distinguish different teams. For example, in CIV2, the French were dark blue, the Babylonians green, the Russians white and so forth. These colours also cannot be changed and this can be a problem. Even people with normal colour vision can have trouble distinguishing some of the colours chosen if the colour is only a small splash and there are similar colours in use.

What I would like to see in future game designs would be the use of two colours for each team, and the selection of the colours used for the teams under user control. For people like me with normal colour vision, it won't matter too much, but for all those colourblind people that see a huge variety of shades of "brown" instead of reds and greens, it can be a real help. Suppose you only had five colours you could distinguish reliably: Black, White, Cyan, Yellow and Grey. If these colours were combined in all possible combinations, there would be 15 teams, including 5 with a single colour. Only 5 would be possible if a single colour was chosen.
              None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Dan added a note in the latest "ask the civ team" feature. check it out!
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Nice! Our voice has been heard. Thanks Firaxis!

Comment

Working...
                  X