Nukes....no way possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nukes....no way possible

Just a quick comment about nukes. For those of you who have had experience using them, I'm sure you will agree. They seem to be a HUGE waste of money and production. Get this, I was coming to the end of a game and was sick of the constant invasions from the Babylonians who were bold enough to attack my modern armor and mech inf. with knights. They had about 10 units stacked in various locations within the 9 tile radius of a nuke explosion. So I thought....what the heck, the game will be over soon and I figured it would be a way to 'mop up' the battle field. I spent the 2000 to finish production of an ICBM and sent it on its way to meet with those 10 or so knights. After impact....not ONE single Babylonian unit died. Just minor wounds. I understand that you can survive a nuclear blast....but I didn't figure you could at ground zero...let alone on horseback and with no cover what-so-ever. BTW, they were all standing in the desert. Heh heh. -JD

They were saved by a miracle from your evil evil evil plans !
    Oh you're so bad ! Using blatant nukes on unprotected people !
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

no I think it was the /dev/null device they were packing. i mean how can anything let along a measly nuke survive or do any damage to a black hole? Like lightning to a rod...
      I hate Civ3!

Comment

Heh, yeah, they had it packed on their saddle with the rations and bed roll.

-JD

Comment

Jaundice

it's not just you, they are a waste of money and shields and that money would be better spent on ground units, plus in my testing it appears that a size one city can't die to a nuke

you will almost never get the 600 minerals back when you use an ICBM

however in this game here nuclear war is the only way to win the game
          Attached Files

Comment

Nukes sucked in all Civ games but it's good to build at least one so you can put more pressure on enemies(or terrorize them). I never really used nukes, since their effects were kindof worthless, and cost too high. I usually use them at the end when the score is already calculated.

If you want to see what a good nuke is try Alpha Centauri. One single nuke(with best warhead) could wipe out the whole continent. Even the worst possible nuke could wipe two cities. That is what I call bang for the bucks.

-- Leo

Comment

Leo

and not only was it powerful (a singularity nuke would completely destroy everything in a nine by nine square, including land) but they were fairly cheap, costing 230 minerals for each nuke compared to 300 for a tactical nuke in civ3 and 600 for an ICBM

Comment

The plant busters? Yeah, I made the mistake of using those in AC. The whole planet turned against me.

-JD

Comment

game makes them what they are - weapons of terror. you can make them stronger and turn the planet into a desert in no time.

Comment

Jaundice

have you tried that save yet?
                    you absolutely have to use nukes to keep slow the french down enough for you to win the space race

Comment

I DL'ed it, but haven't tried it yet. Will do so soon.

-JD

Comment

You don't have to start a war/nuke them.

Just use a spy to check where the French space ship parts are produced and sabotage them (or one of them... I sabotaged Lyon).

Doesn't even cost that much gold.
                        Last edited by Todd Hawks; November 7, 2001, 07:22.

Comment

Working...
                        X