Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for game designers to get back to basics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for game designers to get back to basics?

The beauty of Civ I and Civ II was that they employed simple gameplay concepts. Perhaps its time game designers got back to basics on gameplay. Far too much time in Civ III's development seems to have been spent on frippery like graphics and music.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; November 5, 2001, 20:47.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

There are some bugs. There seems to be a problem with player's fighters on intercept, the coastal fortress may not shoot at passing ships, the cruise missile seems to have been born with a genetic deformity
    And This Game Rocks!

I Love This Game!!

I have been playing my 1st (tutorial) game since Oct. 30, often until 4AM; feeling more alive with 3-6 hours of sleep than (almost) ever,* and the music really enhances my enjoyment of the game!

*Yah, haven't got a life

Comment

Save me from fanatics.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Come on Horse.

We can't even buy this game yet, give it go before you bag it.
        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Yeah I saw you were going to buy it straight away. I'm not so sure now.

Comment

People I have spoken to tell me that the game is good.

I shall buy it as soon as its released here and then play it, if I think it suck I shall tell you Horse so you can save your $ daddy dearest.
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

even though the game has many annoying bugs it's still worth playing. i really enjoy this game even though i already lost twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                Save me from fanatics.
                AH, you should really try it once. It is an addictive game.

Comment

Hm I don't really agree. There is a new (and better, to my great surprise!) music scheme, yes. And yes, there are fancy unit animations now.

But the most profound changes are all gameplay related and not flimsy or superficial at all. I've scratched my head more than a few times in response to unexpected schmonsequences etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Legacy
                    Hm I don't really agree. There is a new (and better, to my great surprise!) music scheme, yes. And yes, there are fancy unit animations now.

But the most profound changes are all gameplay related and not flimsy or superficial at all. I've scratched my head more than a few times in response to unexpected schmonsequences etc.
                    Yup, AI routines are really kewl. They really do mean business when they declare a war on you. Real business

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

Yup, AI routines are really kewl. They really do mean business when they declare a war on you. Real business
                      Even barbarians do. I was smugly commenting on the weak barbarians before, but now that I've witnessed some of the vaunted Massive Uprisings I'll sing a different song.

Comment

Working...
                      X