Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think this is the worst civ style game ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that's right, but in the mean-time, the cities seem to so easily flip back despite all your efforts to the contrary.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by justgivemeaname

I tried reloading an auto-save and naturally it kept reverting. So I reloaded again, moved ALL my military units out of the city (took a long fricken time too... stacking units into armies and groups with NO bonuses [just for movement purposes] is something I can't believe is not in the game) and hit end turn. I was rubbing my hands together greedily thinking I just got the best of the AI. Of course, just to piss me off the city didn't revert .

If a city reverts, make all the military units HP 1 and relocate them outside the city or something. Losing my what could potentially be your ENTIRE army to 2 resisting civilians is ridiculous. So is the fact that your soldiers all willingly defect.

Civ3 has been a roller coaster, times of extreme fun followed by much frustration.
      I had Athens for a good number of turns, long before the war with the Greeks was over. One turn it defected back to the Greeks (who weren't anywhere around), and took my men with it. Frustrated, I reloaded the game, took all my soldiers out of the city, and fortified them next to it, waiting to take it back when it revolted again. It never did. This has now happened to me twice. Has anyone else had a city not revolt once the troops were taken out?

Comment

Originally posted by n.c.
        Trying to be sarcastic, ending up stupid.
        yeah, you really are....

OCCUPIED CITIES: It is kinda cool to starve them off and bring in your workers to provide for some non-native inhabitants. this, in turn, makes them more immune to foreign culture.

cybergnu, i cannot believe that you had electricity and yet babylonians had better culture than you? actually, come to think of it, think vietnam. you hold the ground but they just want the foreigners out. culture is certainly controversial thingie, but it gives a third dimension to the map and a dynamic yet unseen in civ games. i like it....

Comment

Sure, there was resistance in France during WWII, but the Germans never lost a city to them.
          Actually, they did.
          They lost Paris. When the Allied came in France, they decided Paris wasn't worth the trouble getting into it. Anyway, the French there, knowing the Allied were near, revolted and effectively got rid of the Germans in their capital city without exterior intervention. Of course, they wouldn't have dared trying hadn't lots of friendly armies been coming along.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Re: Culture and War

[SIZE=1] "During wartime footing, cultural imporvements produce only half the number normally produced per turn."
            This is a VERY important statement in understanding everyones trouble in my opinion....now with that said..... I want you civ veterans out there take that sentence and help that rest of us understand this problem in the game that so many are having problems countering or understanding......
            That's true, but consider that being at war doesn't mean you're at a wartime footing. The wartime footing toggle is in the Domestic manager screen, and you don't HAVE to be at that footing to fight a war. Pretty much the only time using it is preferable is when you get stuck in a world war and units are more important than a broadway show. I was never at wartime footing in my war against the English, and when my cities reverted, it was a good 20 turns after the war was good and over with.

Comment

Originally posted by aderen
              i agree with some of you that civ3 is so far the worst in civ series. it seems it just added better diplomacy to civ2. call to power had way more additions and i enjoyed playing it much more.
              it seems that the more i play civ3 the less i like it. around year 1500 i had about 100 workers and was allied with 2 civs so that they could pass my land, and it took over 5 minutes to end each turn as i had to watch all the units move thru my land and then workers move and it's with animiations turned off.
              after playing civ3 for a week i was so bored of just spending half the time watching the units move around that i just gave up.

i just installed ctp2 again (haven't playing it for couple months) and enjoy it much better than civ3. but of course all the reviews will say how good the game is because it was done by Sid Meier.
              Did you know that the majority of Civ2 was made by someone other than Sid Meir (according the the manual)?

Comment

The cultural revolutions are a pain but it is one small dose of realism. Post cold war Europe has been a good example of how dozens of old hatreds and national tendencies can suddenly erupt once the pressures keeing them down slacken off. It doesn't matter whether the place has been occupied for 2 years or 200, the extremists have long memories. The only dodgy thing is losing all the military units - they shoudl be damaged and displaced or keep the revolution suppressed provided there are enough of them but not eradicated.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Civ II was mostly done by Brian Reynolds who also did alot of leg work on SMAC and gettysburg. He left firaxis ages ago. I think thats why some aspects Civ III sucketh the hind boob in some ways. Brian was the soul of those games. Sid.. well we all know he's appears to be a glorified beta tester now.

I will agree with the sentiment that there is alot of potential in this game but far too many stoopid bugs and design decisions.
                  My top 10 problems
                  1) Combat is more like Civ1 -- ancient units can take out mor emodern unist without a fight and too much emphasis on defence.
                  2) AI doesnt follow NO trespass rules
                  3) The damn 100 mil bug
                  4) Fighters and bombers and subs cant sink ships or kill units.. D'uh??
                  5) Ditto artillery and catapults..
                  6) Losing all units when city converts?? Huh 10 riflemen die when size 3 city converts.. try boston massacre!
                  7) Oil is too critical for to many units.. if you dont have oil in your terr. SOrry you are Fricked!! I like the idea that you could build oil unist but whose movement would be reduced0
                  8) In ability to rush-buy Temples, Colliseums --etc. If a city has no extra food and revolts .. sorry folks people gotta die.. (LOl far too beneficial to kill your own citizens i find)
                  9) Poor screen scolling
                  10) Useless as hell manual...

Z
                  "Capitalism is man exploiting man; communism is just the other way around."

Comment

Well, I my war with the Egyptians (all for the sake of COAL!), I took their capital and a couple of other cities. So far, no revolt, but when I get home I'm going to move most of my units out, then start hitting the draft soldier button and see what happens. That way I won't have to wait for workers to build. I'm not even sure it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanteogo
                      My biggest problem of all are the long waiting times between turns on the larger maps. There is no reason why it should take so long on a modern computer.
                      Because it does alot of binary tree searches. For every move the AI makes it has probably evaluated a few thousand. And it still makes too few evaluations, and makes them too local.

Comment

monkeytrees

I heard that the only way to fly these days is to run on a hill. Has anyone else heard of the carpet MANIFESTO?

Comment

Working...
                        X