No announcement yet.

I HATE culture!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I took over my first cities by war and I haven't seen them switch yet (but maybe that will happen today, who knows ), but I think I might have an idea how to avoid that: What I believe is it's only the (let's call the enemy Germans, they are in my game now ) Germans in the city who will revolt in such a case, then what about let the new city build workers and let the new workers move to your other cities, at the same time some of your other cities makes workers and let them move to the new city (Make it atleast 50% of your people)...Then I don't think they can posibly switch back...You can try it, maybe it works, and then maybe not
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: I HATE culture!!!!

Originally posted by VetteroX
      Note: If you havn't played the game OR you have played but havn't captured a lot of cities, you can't understand how frustrating this is... so please think of that before making a comment.
      I'm playing a game as the Romans on reagant level on the standard size real-earth map. For the first part of the game my entire strategy was simply: BUILD AS MANY SETTLERS/CITIES AS POSSIBLE. I did not stop this strategy until around half way through the middle ages. I have found that civ3 is so insanely realistic in so many ways, it all makes sense historically...

I have been at war with several other countries during the game and everytime I occupy an enemy city, I get the same problem. ut it is possible to prevent them from rebelling by building cultural improvements (such as temple, library) as well as garrisoning. It may be a combination of both thats causing you problems.

Some other strategies, later on in the game you can draft the city population into military units, you can kill off citizens by forcing production in despotism, but you should eventually be able to make the cities stick and productive again over time

Comment

Since you wanted an example....

In ancient Mesopotamia portions of the kingdoms dominating the river valleys were invaded and conquered by tribes from the Iranian plateau and/or the Arabian peninsula many times. Since the river valley societies were at a much higher level of culture than the surrounding tribes, within a generation or two the invaders would "go native" and be reabsorbed into the mainstream culture.

China was conquered by foreigners on at least two occasions that I can think of - once by the Mongols and once by the Manchurians. On each occasion the powerful Chinese culture absorbed the invaders and THEY were assimilated into the CHINESE culture, and not the other way around.

The introduction of the concept of culture makes Civ more than just a political history. We think of Civ as a game of political empires, and history is more than that. In the cases above, civilizations lost military and political struggles, but WON the civilization struggle, because they suborned and absorbed their conquerors. It was the Chinese civilization which continued to develop - for all practical purposes, the Manchurian civilization disappeared, and the Mongolian civilization dwindled to insignificance.

Sometimes conquest is cultural suicide. Ask the Norman kings of Sicily. If the nation you're invading is a powerful cultural rival, you can't expect your governors to remain YOUR governors.

The best advice I've seen here is to relocate the populations by turning as many of the conquered city's people into workers as possible. Move those workers into your own cultural areas and add them to cities that could use the population points. Then move your own workers up and rebuild the city's population with your own people.

Comment

Originally posted by Travathian

Lastly, what's the point of garrisoning a lot of good troops in a few cities in the computers area, go attack. Heck, don't even raze cities. Sell off improvements, destroy terrain enhancements and capture workers. Then who cares if they get their cities back thru culture or force, the people will be starving, pissed off and cost em more to fix than what it cost you to go do it.
          This is a fine plan if you're just interested in hurting your enemy. In my case, my goal was to have the continent to myself so I could do away with most of my military and focus on tech. I had been at war for hundreds of years longer than I had anticipated (Chinese Riders and Musketmen are a tough combo even for Samurai) and had fallen behind.

In a situation like mine, having a city in the middle of my empire suddenly turn back to it's former nation would have been a huge hole in security.

Comment

Working...
          X