Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Look Back at How Poly Answered the Question: Will Civ3 Be Rushed? Top 10 Answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Back at How Poly Answered the Question: Will Civ3 Be Rushed? Top 10 Answers!

1. Not that long ago, several civers thought it would be a really good idea if Firaxis waited with the Civ-3 release until spring-02 (the "they shouldnt rush it" argument). Now the single-player part together with all kinds of editors, is released before christmas-01, while the multiplayer-part is released spring-02. Why? Because Firaxis dont want to rush the multiplayer-part. Isnt this good news?
    2. Wasn't an October release planned for quite awhile ago, even though it wasn't public? I manage software projects and there's always a time-table that you are working at. If you say that an October release of Civ3 with bugs mean it was rushed. How about a Feb 2002 release that has bugs, would that have been rushed too? Or how about a July 2002 release? While I don't really care when Civ3 is released, to say that it was rushed because it won't be perfect, seems a little myopic to me. I mean, it's going through at least a 5 weeks beta testing cycle , that's more than what alot of other products go through, isn't it?
    3. I just had a horrible thought. What if Infogrames is french for Activision
    4. [The most voted for option in Korn's 'Is Civ3 being rushed?' thread] "No. Multiplayer is a little used feature that shouldn't delay the release, and all other feature will work fine."
    5. While we don't know what goes on behind closed doors at firaxis, I have confidence that they will produce the worlds greatest computer game when it is released. I also have confidence that if they don't include multiplayer (which is likely, but unproven) that they will patch it as soon as possible, free of charge.
    6. I voted for Civ3 to be perfect in every way. Every thing I have read and saw points to this and the best thing that could have happen was no mulitplayer for 5 months. This means that Firaxis probaly never had any attention of wasting time on mulitplayer from the beginning and have instead spent all thier time on making Civ3 the best SP experince in gaming history.
    7. Just because a game go through patches doesn't mean it was rushed, it means that there is enough of a fan base that cares to make the game even better.
    8. Yin, all this "the game will suck if we dont give it 6 more months" shi-t is bull. they've worked on it for long enough, just trust them.
    9. I'm interested to know why many people feel that this game will be buggy if it gets released early? They've had a lot of time to make the game, and many people to make it. A bigger team than the team that made Black and White. (yes, I know it was buggy). This game is not a revolution in gaming, they're all using known knowledge. They weren't doing any serious major changes or additions. They were just simply making things better. So 3 years sounds perfect to get everything done and without bugs. And hey, October is just around the corner, can't wait. I'm really happy about it..
    10. [...quoting myself...]Trust me on this: If Civ3 gets released in October, it will be a good 3 or 4 patches before we come even close to getting the game it should have been. And just when we WERE getting close, Firaxis will decide it's time to move on or put the real fixes in an expansion pack to "justify" the programming time that should have been better allocated to begin with. I've seen it a hundred times.

Of course, I'm just a silly whiner with no sense of reality!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Tell us how you really feel, Yin .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

<== Watch that post from Markos soon with a locked thread and a message: "We don't need spamming 'I told you so' threads. Not everybody thinks the game was rushed."

Imran: You'd bet good money on that, right?
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

yin, you are one annoying bastard.

These "I Told You So" threads are even more silly because I've been playing Civ3, and absolutely love it.

Each time I see one of these threads I think less and less of the man that is Yin.

Let's see the Yang, I'm tired of Yin.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

LOL! As if I care about being loved by Asher. That's hilarious!

Hey, I took a lot of flack from a hell of a lot of people when I argued that the October release spelled trouble. I'll say "Told you so!" until I'm personally tired of saying it.

How's that?

Comment

Well, since I'm getting my game in November, can I say mine was a November release and that means no trouble?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
              LOL! As if I care about being loved by Asher. That's hilarious!
              You know you want it!

Hey, I took a lot of flack from a hell of a lot of people when I argued that the October release spelled trouble. I'll say "Told you so!" until I'm personally tired of saying it.

How's that?
              October release spelled trouble?
              The game is FINE.
              The only trouble is it came right before mid-terms.

I don't like TBS multiplayer, I don't care for scenerios or the editor. It's perfectly fine for me. I'm glad they didn't make us wait because a minority of people liked doing multiplayer.

What it comes down to is:
              You don't like it, you don't buy it.
              You don't make 10000 threads about it seeing "see I told you it'd suck!" even though the vast majority of people are really enjoying it.

"I Told You So" only works when you are correct.

Now bend over!
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Well, since I'm getting my game in November, can I say mine was a November release and that means no trouble?
                Umm, sure? LOL

Asher: Talk about annoying.

Did I say the game sucks? Why does everybody like to put words in my mouth? I said it would be a rushed job if released in October. And for saying that, dozens upon dozens of people hated me for it.

Well: I was right. So were many others. Civ3, as is, is a rushed product. So why say "I told you so!"?

Because it feels so damn good to prove a point I was lambasted on.

And, no, I don't need no friggen Asher-love. I'm on a strict diet.

Comment

Doesn't feel rushed to me.

Perhaps that's cause I never looked at the editor?

Comment

LOL! Ah, yes. Good point.

Comment

i cant choose between this and this
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

But he's such a determined troll .

Comment

It's O.K. Markos. Just wait quietly for your patches.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            i cant choose between this and this
                            I think you qualify as both, Markos.

But honestly, this is you, Markos.
                            And this is Alexander's Horse.

Comment

yin, congratulations. you're on the ignore list of 6 people.
                              i'm trying to find if anyone else has more.
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X