Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...perhaps Firaxis should be applauded...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...perhaps Firaxis should be applauded...?

Or at least grudingly given a little respect?

The way I see it, Infogrames was hounding them to release the game before november.

I have to commend them for axing some of the side projects of the game (Maps, Scenarios, Editor, MP), and focusing on the core game mechanics themselves.

Granted, it is still very dissapointing to see all those things broken or absent, but perhaps Firaxis did the right thing in looking at the big picture and seeing what was the most important for release (AI and Balance, mostly).

If they had left those in, they would have had to do a half-a**ed job on everything to fit it in by the release date, and they would have probably made more money by claiming that all these functions were in the game...

Just my point of view...anyone else have any opinions?

P.S: I must say, I'm dissapointed that the Russian Diplomacy Advisor did not make it into the game. All the advisors, though practically worthless in advice, were still great fun to listen to. How are the advisors in Civ 3 (in terms of entertainment in listening to them)?

*posters throw chairs, eggs, rotten fruit at Aendolin, fist fighting breaks out*
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Owwww.... that hurt.

Why does someone always bring rotten fruit to these things?

Comment

Because they've been holding on to them for months waiting to say that "Civ3 sucks" just because it's not exactly like Civ2.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I haven't made a judgement yet - I don't have the game.

But the lack of multiplayer really pisses me off.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Tell us how you really feel, Horsie .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Basically, they had 3 options:

1) Release SP and buggy MP in november (Well, oct 31)

2) Release SP and no MP in november. Release MP later.

3) Release SP and MP later (who knows how much longer).

Why would you take 3 over 2? You get to play SP while waiting for MP, instead of waiting for both.

Comment

Another option: Figure out 2 years ago how much time they had and plan accordingly.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Wait. I forget. This is their first game, and they don't have much combined industry experience. I take it back.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    Another option: Figure out 2 years ago how much time they had and plan accordingly.
                    That's too logical

At least you didn't bring fruit....

*dodges sheep*

Comment

*throws dog bisquits*

Comment

Seeing that half of the team up and left LATE last year, with the promised release date still hanging over their heads. They figured out what was important to do.

Wait. I forget. This is their first game, and they don't have much combined industry experience. I take it back.

In a certain way it is, for half of the members of the team. Especially the programmers and most of the artists.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yin, buddy, were you the one telling us (years ago) that the Black & White engine would be perfect for Civilization III?
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So I should applaud them for the effort?! LOL! Please.

Comment

Asher: I think you've had your head stuck in the geek forums too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X