No Fast starts in Civ III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    Well game testing indicates that the old civ 2 tricks like not settling and building an army of units and settlers from huts before doing so doesn't work.
    And I thought I was the only one who had discovered that trick. Buhhuuuuuh!
    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

You can't manage huts by tipping them within a city radius either
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Why? have you tried?

Comment

No, but all the civ 2 tricks are being tested out by some hard core players, away from all the newbies here

And I know where and you don't
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Heh, the game does hava way of keeping you on a leash so that you don't just bolt out of the Anicent Era.

Which actually is pretty neat. I'm almost through the industrial era, and I think that actual gameplay time is probably pretty similar between the eras. This means you'll actually have to play with "Ancient Era" game concepts instead of just flying out

Comment

I was the aztecs. real nice having a 2 square movement unit from the get go. and the religious value are nice when changing goverments.

Comment

Re: No Fast starts in Civ III?

I read that the river movement bonus has been removed, you can't get settlers from huts and its hard to get horsemen. Is this true?

I'd hate to plod around the map one hex at a time like in CTP!
                Nope, you still get settlers from huts, at least if you're expansionist. No river bonus is true though, and horsemen take some time to research.

Regards / Döbeln 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                  From what I read in the forums here, the pacing is actually pretty fast, so I don´t believe it will be a CtP-like boring start.

If they had made a real editor and not cut down Espionage to Bonsai size, not to speak about leaving out the scenarios altogether, I would be in the (moderate) optimist camp...
                  Hey, come on - the bottom line is that's it's good fun. I've been off gaming for a while, but this thing really wastes my time right now. Give it a shot!

Regards / Döbeln 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Döbeln_2001
                    Hey, come on - the bottom line is that's it's good fun. I've been off gaming for a while, but this thing really wastes my time right now. Give it a shot!
                    Never said I wouldn´t; I´m just a bit sceptical.

But if the AI is as good as most people say, I will change my government to 'Optimism'.
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

No, but all the civ 2 tricks are being tested out by some hard core players, away from all the newbies here

And I know where and you don't
                      Quiet Horse, and go back to your stall now.
                      "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                      Jonathan Swift

Comment

Well game testing indicates that the old civ 2 tricks like not settling and building an army of units and settlers from huts before doing so doesn't work.
                        ...and that's a bad thing - less freebies for the human????

Kudos to Firaxis for making some old strategies obsolete - and I'm glad to hear that the AI is expanding as fast, or faster than a human player. About time that the ICSers get a taste of their own medicine.

I would think that this would tempt you to to get the game AH - to prove just how good a player you are.
                        Last edited by hexagonian; November 1, 2001, 17:54.
                        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

We're talking game play here, not the ascent of man
                          You're talking Civ2 gameplay. It's a new game. Develop new strategies. If not, prepare to die when MP arrives in the form of an XP.
                          To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Working...
                          X