No Fast starts in Civ III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Fast starts in Civ III?

I read that the river movement bonus has been removed, you can't get settlers from huts and its hard to get horsemen. Is this true?

I'd hate to plod around the map one hex at a time like in CTP!
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Is it just me....

or is Civ III starting to sound more and more like Ctp

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The set up phase of CTP is incredibly tedious whereas with civ II you could have 5 cities by say 2500bc without trying too hard.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I've gotten a settler from a goodie hut.

It's only hard to get horsemen, if you don't have horses in amongst your natural resources.

Don't know about the movement bonus w/ river.
        "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

But life was hard at that time, so, if you have to fight for survival from day one bc of Barbarians,... this may actually be on the plus side of the factsheet.
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
            But life was hard at that time, so, if you have to fight for survival from day one bc of Barbarians,... this may actually be on the plus side of the factsheet.
            We're talking game play here, not the ascent of man

Comment

From what I read in the forums here, the pacing is actually pretty fast, so I don´t believe it will be a CtP-like boring start.

If they had made a real editor and not cut down Espionage to Bonsai size, not to speak about leaving out the scenarios altogether, I would be in the (moderate) optimist camp...
              Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Well, the river move bonus isn't missed by me, especially with additions like 'scouts' and 'extended line of sight'.

Fast starts aren't really hindered, and it is really easy with an Expansionist civ.

Comment

it does have a slow Startup, it takes forever thats to say if you dont get civil disorder 5-10 turns into the game

Comment

The game gives you a worker to start with.

You won't have civil disorder in your cities for a while [even if you don't have the tech to build temples or colosseums] if you use that worker to build a road from your cities to a luxury resource. I think the starting position you get is designed to be sure you have access to at least one luxury resource.

And don't let your cities grow beyond Size 4 when you can't build temples. Just keep chugging out settlers and workers. If you aren't expanding, you can bet that the AI is. And you have to connect everything with roads. Absolutely everything. So if you build the workers, tasks will come.

Comment

You certainly can get settlers from goody huts, especially if you're playing an Expansionist civ. No one took me seriously when I said that the "better stuff from goody huts" ability was powerful -- well here's one of your reasons why.

It needs to be stressed that you can't apply the same exact techniques that you used in Civ II to Civ III if you expect to stay in the game competitively. Civil Disorder early in the game is a clear sign you're not spending enough time on building infrastructure and trade.

Dan
                      Dan Magaha
                      Firaxis Games, Inc.
                      --------------------------

Comment

Well game testing indicates that the old civ 2 tricks like not settling and building an army of units and settlers from huts before doing so doesn't work.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Dan!
                          "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                          "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                            You certainly can get settlers from goody huts, especially if you're playing an Expansionist civ.

Dan
                            Big hint here I suspect

Comment

I caught that too Alexander!
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                              X