No announcement yet.

I have Civ3, expect an indepth review shorty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Remembering back 12 months to the immediate time after CTP2 release.........*

Seems like the exact same arguements to me.

"Unfinished"
    "Publishers"
    "Bugs"
    "Rushed"

blah blah blah.

To all the people who bagged CTP2 and said Civ3 would be better, where are you now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
      *Remembering back 12 months to the immediate time after CTP2 release.........*

Seems like the exact same arguements to me.

"Unfinished"
      "Publishers"
      "Bugs"
      "Rushed"

blah blah blah.

To all the people who bagged CTP2 and said Civ3 would be better, where are you now?
      I am right here! CTP2 deserves to be bagged- CivIII is:

"Finished"
      "Published"
      "Stable"
      "Polished"

And actually, I spent $5 on shipping just so I could get rid of my copy of CTP2, manual and all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba

I am right here! CTP2 deserves to be bagged- CivIII is:

"Finished"
        "Published"
        "Stable"
        "Polished"

And actually, I spent $5 on shipping just so I could get rid of my copy of CTP2, manual and all!!
        Anunikoba, I don't doubt that it is. (I find out when my copy arrives on the 19th) I just find it interesting that the same arguements are being thrown around. Time will tell, like time found that the MODders of CTP2 made a great game (and still doing it) out of a crappy game.

Comment

So everybody is whining about how Infogrames screwed the consumer over and forced the premature publishing of a game with no scenarios.....no MP.......and major compatibility issues.

Ah....isn't Capitalism great

Complete exploitation of a consumer that was ripe for the taking! The incessent drooling over CivIII allows this kind of thing to take place.......just suck it up and buy the game like everybody on this forum will do.......

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            Well, to a guy like me who thinks PR and common courtesy are an important part of getting me to give up my money: It's a big mistake. A BIG ONE.

To people who could care less and just want to play whatever comes on the CD: It's not a big deal at all.
            Yin, I reccomend disaggregating the issues of fan communications and game quality. You put too much stock in how much the developers communicate with the internet junkies.

Comment

so once again you evaluated a game without playing a single minute with it....
              LOL! THIS IS MY FAVORITE ARGUMENT! (And I hear it all the time). Yes, Markos, if I close my eyes reeeeeeeealy tight, wish on a falling star, and blow candy fairy dust on my Civ 3 disk, and the installation will magically show me:

MP better than ever ... you can play on a constant server ... even take over for people leaving games. AMAZING!

Not only will the editor be in there, but it will be voice activated! I can simply say: 'Computer. Real world map circa 1530, focus on Asia. Difficulty level Alpa.' And it will on its own scower the Net downloading the relevant data for the Civilopedia, including authentic sounds from the era as best recreated at George Lucas' studios!

The scenarios will be so good that major universities will assign them for homework!

The graphics will work ... WITHOUT a graphics card AND they'll restore my eyesight to 20/20!

The maps will be consulted by the military and historians for their stunning accuracy.

And I'll be able to zoon in so close I can see Elizabeth primping her hair in the royal chambers!

You crack me up, Markos!

Korn:

As I said, your review will determine for me whether I buy the game or not ... and whether I 'go on the war path' or not, so to speak. So far, it sounds great.

I look forward to the full review once you've figured things out some more.

Delthayre:

My main concern here is that it's hard enough to get things to a 'harcore' acceptable level with patches even when the release comes out highly polished with all features in place. My experience with this genre is we have about 4 patches to work with ... if we are lucky (before any x-pack, of course). So the first one or two will be spent primarily getting in the features that should have shipped to begin with.

It's kind of hard for Firaxis to worry about the little stuff when they don't even have MP and an editor in place. And I think, ultimately, Infogrames and the general public (even) will simply be happy when those basic features are in play ... leaving many of the 'little' things frozen in the code forever.

Is this the end of the world? No! But it is disappointing, particularly since (believe it or not) I held Firaxis in much much higher regard. I never imagined Firaxis could be forced to release a game without those features with SID at the head of the company.

*sigh*

Just waiting for Korn's full review now...
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

GP: Read my above post for a fuller explanation of what I mean. I'm talking about maximizing patch cycles, not making us get goose bumps by sending us PMs.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

You aren't going to buy the game, or are going to just to criticize it in more depth. Might as well drop the tired pretext of evenhandedness given prior posting.

You are correct in saying that you don't have to own a game to judge it, there is truth there for sure. What people mean, I think, is that some of the more... dedicated naysayers here are discounting with contempt the testimony of people who are playing the game. 2 days after release. Which is a bit tedious.

Flame away.

Comment

I'll say this again: The SP sounds pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that a few megabytes are missing from the game.

Comment

Hey Yin,
                      Don't you think it seems kind of silly, at least in theory, to criticize a game so fervently without having played even a second of it?
                      I know that arguement cracks you up. But while it's true they don't give you MP, don't you think there's at least a possibilty that the game is such pure, gaming bliss that you can overlook the lack of MP flaw and consider it a great game? Every game has flaw or two. I think that while MP on paper sounds like an extremely important thing, but I think that the excessive quality of the rest of the game makes up for it. Quality beyond quality. Once you get playing this game that is far more polished then the Firaxis gang had to make it (and it would have still sold like hot cakes), you will see that the lack of MP flaw isn't an entirely fatal one. Don't you at least agree that it is a possibility theoretically Yin?
                      I must agree that you experience this pure gaming bliss before you are so quick to dismiss it.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

If the SP gameplay proves to be outstanding, I'll merely think to myself that Firaxis should be roasted instead of saying aloud. How's that?

Honestly, if MP and the editor are given out for free, this will all be forgotten (if the SP is solid, I mean). It's the thought that we'll have to pay for MP and the editor that get me. Now, if the MP is something really amazing (on-line world sort of thing), and I don't have to pay for access to the servers, then I don't mind it being an x-pack thing. That's worth it. Take their time, I say.

But the editor? No ifs ands or buts. If they try to charge for that, there will honestly be hell to pay ...

Comment

Fair enough, I still stand by the arguement that the absurdly excessive greatness of SP makes up for the one flaw of lack of MP, but it's virtually unheard of to charge for additions to the editor, is it not? If they actually charged for additions to the EDITOR of all things, I may find myself in your camp Yin.
                          And who knows, maybe AH and the gang can jimmy-rig up some sort of MP yet
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

*Trumpets Herald!* We are agreed!

Comment

[SIZE=1]And who knows, maybe AH and the gang can jimmy-rig up some sort of MP yet
                              This may sound silly to you but keep in mind we have the DMCA here in the US. What I mean is if someone decodes the savegame file format enough to write a utility that mmakes PBEM possible, irnfrogramres can claim its a DMCA infraction (and I don't see why they wouldn't since I am sure they plan to make money from a civ3 MGE pack).

Also: Markos why not create a Civ3 - Advocacy forum instead of moving on-topic threads.

Comment

here's a big change

ok after playing last night for around 10 hours straight here is something i have noticed

although the combat system seems similar to the one found in civ2/smac...it is really fundamentally a different system, not in the way it operates but the way they balanced it

SMAC was a finesse game, where as long as you stayed on the offense (even if it was just counter attacking) then a much smaller force could take out a large force as long as it had tech parity and good morale

Civ3 is more of a brute force game, supporting a large army is not only easier in Civ3, it is almost a requirement

in SMAC, a force of 3-4 elite rovers could give a player a legitimate chance of conquering a continant...in civ3 mobile units have lost some of their early punch, they are fast moving infantry...no more double attacks (triple in SMAC)

civ2: World War 2 style blitzkrieg
                                SMAC: Gulf War style tech/morale superiority blow out
                                civ3: korean war quick thrusts followed by bloody war of attrition

Comment

Working...
                                X