I have Civ3, expect an indepth review shorty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yin26
    If Firaxis were to make a public statement about why they failed to tell us about the missing MP and broken editor ... a statement expressing their regret at having 1) yanked us around and 2) sent out a game with those missing cucial features, promising in turn to clarify if MP/editor will be in a patch or something we will have to pay for:

It would go a long way toward shutting a lot of people up, I think.
    1) they did announce that there wont be any MP.
    do you want an apology because they did it 3 weeks before the release instead of 6?

2) they have also stated (on the official site) that they do plan to work on better editing tools

btw, yesterday in the chat Jeff Morris said that there isnt a decision on what will be done with MP part. would you like them to do an official press release to announce that there is nothing to announce?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

1) they did announce that there wont be any MP.
      do you want an apology because they did it 3 weeks before the release instead of 6?
      Where and HOW was it 'announced'? In leaked e-mails? In video footage? In FAQs updated waaaay after the fact? They have NEVER once stood up with a clear and public voice to clarify the issue and why it was handled so improperly. NOR DO WE KNOW IF WE WILL HAVE TO **PAY** FOR MP!!!

They still can.

2) they have also stated (on the official site) that they do plan to work on better editing tools
      AFTER the release! Ahem. And still no 'explanation' for why they shipped it to us KNOWING that we were expecting a great editor.

btw, yesterday in the chat Jeff Morris said that there isnt a decision on what will be done with MP part. would you like them to do an official press release to announce that there is nothing to announce?
      First: YES FOR GOD'S SAKE! Don't you sometimes make announcements that there is no article this week? Hmmm....

Second: ONCE AGAIN we have the problem. '...in a chat...' '...in some article...' '...in a conversation overheard in Hunt Valley...'
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

first of all, it would be nice if you didnt yell

In FAQs updated waaaay after the fact?
        what matter is that it was well before the release.

why it was handled so improperly
        they are not politicians to answer for their pr

NOR DO WE KNOW IF WE WILL HAVE TO **PAY** FOR MP!!!
        they dont know either

AFTER the release! Ahem.
        no, before the release in the dev update by jeff morris on civ3.com, as well as jeff morris' interview right here on apolyton

First: YES FOR GOD'S SAKE! Don't you sometimes make announcements that there is no article this week? Hmmm....
        yes, and they announced it on the official site

Comment

I'm no reviewer. I'm way biased.

I'm happy to being playing civ again.

let me just say this game kicks ass

a few complaints

no fundamentalism. although this makes the game more challenging. so no big deal

no unit bribing. maybe I can actually win a mp game!! if they ever make a mp patch. I have a feeling it will be an expansion like MGE. greedy bastards

kind of slow. But I'm still learning. I have a feeling I can speed things up. But I'm running with 256 megs of ram, and p3 700 processor. I"m getting about a 1/2 sec delay between turns and I"m still in BC times. I'm afraid how bad it might get in 2000 AD.

Comment

Well, Markos: You know they shipped the game without the proper features and you know they have NOT done well by the public.

That's the end of the story.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Well, Markos: You know they shipped the game without the proper features and you know they have NOT done well by the public.
              so they didnt "screw up big". they just "didnt do well"....

Comment

Well, to a guy like me who thinks PR and common courtesy are an important part of getting me to give up my money: It's a big mistake. A BIG ONE.

To people who could care less and just want to play whatever comes on the CD: It's not a big deal at all.

Comment

Well, to a guy like me who thinks PR and common courtesy are an important part of getting me to give up my money: It's a big mistake. A BIG ONE.

To people who could care less and just want to play whatever comes on the CD: It's not a big deal at all.
                  PR and common courtesy in all business are marketing tools.

it is good that you realise that there are people who mostly care about the quality of the actual product and not about the quality of the way in which the product is advertised to them. hopefully this will be reflected in your future posts

Comment

Yes. "Quality of the product." Shall I list them again for you, Markos?

Comment

And look up the phrase: "Bait and Switch"

Might be helpful here...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

btw, yesterday in the chat Jeff Morris said that there isnt a decision on what will be done with MP part.
                        That sounds ominous

So its not even clear if they will do a MP version?
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I just don't understand.

Why?

Why does this happen.

This thread became merely Yin (who I have in my short time observing these boards come to dislike for his hot headed arrogance) and MarkG (who I have grown to dislike because he displays traits similar to Yin's).

It's just like the U.N. there was a lot of heated jibberish and nothing was accomplished...and I'm sure if there was a bill Uncle Sam would get it.

OT question for Yin: I'm presuming that you had to learn Korean. What was it like, I've heard Korean a few times, and for the life of me I can't pick out individual words (I usually manage to at least identify broad phrases). On a light hearted note, I once saw what I believe to be a Japanese television show dubbed into Korean, needless to say it did not work. The dub job rivaled the Godzilla movies in mismatch mouths to sounds.

I refuse to live in fear.
                          If I am to die, so be it.
                          At least I will have died free.

Comment

Shall I list them again for you, Markos?
                            the missing public apologies for the missing press releases?

Comment

LOL!

OT: Learning Korean if you start from a Western language is ranked by linquists as being in the "Hardest" category. Just to give you some perspective: I've lived here now 5 years ... working in a Korean office with Korean co-workers and having to use Korean everyday ... and I *still* feel like I've only got the basics of casual conversation. A vast majority of Westerners quit within 2 years when they see that they are still just bumbling and nobody understands them at times.

Comment

ok Delthayre, back to the start.

where is korn!?! did he forget about us?

Comment

Working...
                                X