Low End Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low End Systems

I'm running a P II 400 with 256 MB of RAM. CIV 3 crashes evry 15 minutes. I'm updating my drivers to make sure that's not the problem.

Is anybody else with a comparable system having problems?

Thanks.

Jim Cobb
    Jim Cobb

I run mine on a Celeron 300 with 64 mgs of RAM and it all works fine

except for the slow scrolling, but meh
    -=Dave=-
    aka Pangaea
    aka Civ Guy

Comment

Thanks. I'll bet two luxery squares my drivers are out dated. The Official Troubleshooting FAQ site would seem to indicate that.
      Jim Cobb

Comment

I have a P2-450 and have had no problem with the game other than the slow scroll. It's just faster to click on the map in the lower left anyway. I almost brought this game to work, but then I would get no work done.

Comment

What the fuc*!!!! PII 400 and 256 mb is a LOW END system!!!???.

Get the hell out of here!. Ive got a PII 400 w/384 MB ram and its kick ass!!!.
          Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
          Asesino_Virtual

Comment

If anyone can beat my low end system, I would love to see it:

Evergreen overdrive CPU (in effect a P1 220mhz)
            6 year old SB AWE32 ISA card

Now the rest isn't terrible - 128mb EDO RAM and a VooDoo3 16mb video card.

Guess what? The game runs! Yes, it crashed on me 3 times in the first 5 minutes, but once I turned off all the animations and music, it's running. It's not running great - verrrrry sllloooooww - but it will get me by until I buy my new system in a week or two.
            ...we are all animals...

Comment

I am playing civ3 on a Pentium II 266, with 186 megs of RAM and I have no idea what kind of video or sound cards(at least 3 years old), and it is running fine, never crashing, but the scrolling is quite slow. I just use the small window map to move around, and that takes care of that problem. Also the music was a bit choppy, but I turned it off.

Frankly, I am surprised it works so well on my outdated system, but alas, it does.
              Po'g mo tho'in!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper
                If anyone can beat my low end system, I would love to see it:

Evergreen overdrive CPU (in effect a P1 220mhz)
                6 year old SB AWE32 ISA card

Now the rest isn't terrible - 128mb EDO RAM and a VooDoo3 16mb video card.

Guess what? The game runs! Yes, it crashed on me 3 times in the first 5 minutes, but once I turned off all the animations and music, it's running. It's not running great - verrrrry sllloooooww - but it will get me by until I buy my new system in a week or two.
                I can beat that easily: P200, 64mb EDO, Voodoo2 12mb.

It's good to hear the game runs though, that means there's still hope for me What kind of map and how many opponents have you been playing with? What's the time between turns in early games? I don't know if I have enough money to upgrade my system so if the speed is even remotely acceptable I'll be happy...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I'm running on a PC that's barely above min and I did a 6.5 hour session yesterday with no crashes. The Military advisor takes 3-4 seconds to pop up and the music stutters a bit when I do it but that's about it. Map scrolling is smooth too.

P2 300Mhz, 128Meg Ram, TNT2 NVidia card

Very pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

I can beat that easily: P200, 64mb EDO, Voodoo2 12mb.

It's good to hear the game runs though, that means there's still hope for me What kind of map and how many opponents have you been playing with? What's the time between turns in early games? I don't know if I have enough money to upgrade my system so if the speed is even remotely acceptable I'll be happy...
                    I chose a standard size map with 7 opponents. The time between turns is only seconds, but it's still very early in the game. The incidental sound effects and battle animations play fine. I played for about 2 hours last night and again about 2 hours this afternoon with absolutely no problems (apart from the intro movie stuttering, but I cancel out of it anyway).
                    ...we are all animals...

Comment

FWIW, updating the drivers did the trick. CIV 3 runs fine; even scrolling is pretty fast.

Thanks for the encouraging posts.
                      Jim Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
                        What the fuc*!!!! PII 400 and 256 mb is a LOW END system!!!???.

Get the hell out of here!. Ive got a PII 400 w/384 MB ram and its kick ass!!!.

I have a Celeron 366 - 128mb - 32 Geforce2MX - SBLive!

Sounds like I'll be fine...
                        To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Working...
                        X