The AI Is No Pushover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peterk
    I haven't had luck with the zone of control thing. I just tried to fortify by borders with manned fortresses every 2 squares (with zone of control, there should be no hole to move through), but the AI just sends units right through the square with no fortress. Looks like you have to fortify the entire border to really keep the AI out.

This looks a little buggy actually and defeats the purpose of having fortresses with ZOC in the first place.
    ZOC has been changed, seemingly. It no longer prevents units from passing, what it does is give you a free attack if it moves through your ZOC (and you're at war)

Comment

Originally posted by Grunthex

ZOC has been changed, seemingly. It no longer prevents units from passing, what it does is give you a free attack if it moves through your ZOC (and you're at war)
      Oh.... I didn't know that! Humm... I guess I'll have to make that Maginot Line.
      Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
      "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

> ZOC has been changed, seemingly. It no longer prevents units > from passing, what it does is give you a free attack if it moves > through your ZOC (and you're at war)

Ahhh...so it does look like a solid line of fortresses is necessary to completely shut off a border.

I don't know if this is my imagination or not, but the AI's disdain for my border seems to be related to respect. Back when I was fairly close in influence to my neighbors I hardly ever noticed any of them violating the border, but now that I'm small fry I find that the AI just crosses over without a second thought. If this is true...it's quite cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterk
          > ZOC has been changed, seemingly. It no longer prevents units > from passing, what it does is give you a free attack if it moves > through your ZOC (and you're at war)

Ahhh...so it does look like a solid line of fortresses is necessary to completely shut off a border.

I don't know if this is my imagination or not, but the AI's disdain for my border seems to be related to respect. Back when I was fairly close in influence to my neighbors I hardly ever noticed any of them violating the border, but now that I'm small fry I find that the AI just crosses over without a second thought. If this is true...it's quite cool.
          I definitely like this. In my game, Cleopatra and I are kind of intertwined in our empire, both of us have cities surrounded by the other. And while she's been quite polite, as I have to her, I can see her 20 or 30 war chariots roaming around, and so when she decides to wander through my territory... which she does quite often, I say nothing. I know she's trying to provoke a war without being the instigator. I'm turning the other cheek.

Comment

custom avatar

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
            BTW, my avatar is the Ontario Flag. I want to change it but for some reason, the ability to use custom avatars has been removed for me. I don't know why.
            The criteria for being able to have a custom avatar have changed. Before you could either have so many posts or have been registered for a certain amount of time. Now it's just posts; you have to have 500. Which is a bummer for me. I found out when I tried to finally load a custom avatar... too late, now I have to wait till I get 500 posts.

Comment

Speaking from my whopping 90 minutes' experience with CIV III, I concur with many of these comments. The lack of ZOC is definitely one of the most immediate differences that dramatically changes this game - it feels both familiar and brand new in that regard. I like being better and more directly informed as to the progress of terraforming, building, and advances - you could dig for the info in CIVII, here it pretty much hits you over the head. The game looks like it is going to change dramatically.

Comment

Working...
              X