No announcement yet.

Dark clouds on the horizon revealed after purchase of the strategy guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have like to be able to mix and match parts of a government policy as you could in SMAC. But I guess there will be enough new stuff like culture to keep me busy.
    I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport! Hank Hill

Comment

Hey monkspider why whine about limited goverments when they include a editor to make your own. I think the goverments they chose to be in the game where not that great either but thats what the editor is for.
      "How must the man be constituted who will lead Germany back to her old heights?" The man, should be a dictator not averse to the use of slogans, street parades and demagoguery. He must be a man of the people yet have nothing in common with the mass. Like every great man, he must be "all personality," and one who"does not shrink from bloodshed. Great questions are always decided by blood and iron." To reach his goal, he must be prepared "to trample on his closest friends," dispense law "with terrible hardness" and deal with people and nations "with cautious and sensitive fingers" or if need be "trample on them with the boots of a grenadier." ---Rudolf Hess

Comment

Originally posted by facistdictator
        Hey monkspider why whine about limited goverments when they include a editor to make your own. I think the goverments they chose to be in the game where not that great either but thats what the editor is for.
        I think that there are at least 3 problems for using editor for this purpose:

1) IIRC, you cannot create new government, you can only modify existing ones
        2) AI will not be able to understand value of the modified governments
        3) You need to play test the whole game several times, before you will find that new government does not misbalance the game. It can be fun for someone, but usually it is not.

As for me, even though I prefer to have more useful government types, I will stick to original game design, unless somebody resolves all 3 points above (like official CIV III expansion)
        The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
        certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Elvis replaced

What I noticed is that they replaced Elvis with Groucho!!

Comment

I don't mean to seem like a "whiner" or a "foolish, sharing-old news guy". From what I recall, there were a large number of Apolyton members who wanted some of the anchient governments to still have some kind of advantage in the late game that makes them viable. Otherwise, you are left with only two government choices and that would probably fit most people's definition of "rigid" and/or "boring". Also, if the Manhattan project news is incorrect, then that's wonderful news indeed.
            Also, extreme unhappiness on higher difficulty levels seems to me to be indicative of an incapable AI that can win by no other means.
            I don't mean to rain on people's proverbial parade by reporting this. With the game's release a scant two days away, I'm sure everyone here is pretty pumped. I am as well. But let us not let our excitement cloud our judgement, if at all possible.
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dark Clouds! Yikes!

...I bet I could find a way to win the game with Monarchy!
              I am an expert at it... For 4 years I never tried any other government! Then I found Fundamentalism
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Hey Monkspider, don't listen to Ralf. If he thinks postings about the strategy guide should be value neutral - let him buy the damn thing and make a thread they way he thinks it should be done. Quit being such a thread facist, Ralf.

Plus I don't like Elvis' music.
                I don't care for it either. Good riddance!
                - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Don't be dissing Ralf, he has more common sense in his earlobe than most of you have in your brains...combined.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                    build Manhattan project and everyone gets nukes rule is STILL in place!
                    That's about how it happened in real life.

Comment

A hypothetical question. Would any of you have bought Civ2 if you had the crappy Civ2 Strategy Guide before hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                        A hypothetical question. Would any of you have bought Civ2 if you had the crappy Civ2 Strategy Guide before hand?
                        Yes I would of still bought it.. I put very little faith in strategy guides.

Comment

I've never seen a reason to BUY a strategy guide for games like Civ. Why bother when we have sites like this one to provide us better information for free
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Elvis replaced

Originally posted by Jaybe
                            What I noticed is that they replaced Elvis with Groucho!!
                            Is that in all ages? Are you certain?

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                              I don't mean to seem like a "whiner" or a "foolish, sharing-old news guy".
                              Heh. Watch out for the old-news Nazis

[SIZE=1]From what I recall, there were a large number of Apolyton members who wanted some of the anchient governments to still have some kind of advantage in the late game that makes them viable. Otherwise, you are left with only two government choices and that would probably fit most people's definition of "rigid" and/or "boring".
                              IMHO this is one of the most disappointing aspects of CIV III. Hopefully it will be relatively simple to mod the game like in CTP....
                              We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Comment

Originally posted by MxM
                                IIRC, you cannot create new government, you can only modify existing ones
                                YDNRC (You did not remember correctly).

"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Working...
                                X