Why do paratroopers rubber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do paratroopers rubber?

If you head on over to the Bump thread, you'll see that someone has already gotten their paws on Civ3. So he posted the civilopedia entry of Paratroopers, which require rubber. So why do they need rubber? Rubber boots?
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

After paratroopiong behind enemy lines, they seek out foreign concubines. Hence, the need for rubbers.

Comment

To cushion their landing, of course.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I don't know exactly why they need it, but it was known before that page was posted as we already had the Civilopedia page for rubber.
          I think Firaxis knows what they are doing, and if you don't like it take it out yourself.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Silk would have made so much more sense, but that's a luxury, not a strategic resource. But yeah, trust Firaxis to be balancing it right, I'm pretty sure that Meier fellow knows what he's doing
            You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

nylon cord or synthic rubber was used for US paratroopers in WW2
              I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

oh, and you have to get the paratroopers in an airplane somehow so you can paradrop them.. im sure the plane needs more rubber than the paratroopers.
                I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

And more oil

Comment

but i would've thought silk would've been more important... even if it's a luxury resource....

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      And more oil
                      Actually you should use a water based lubricant with your rubber
                      or the integrity will be compromised.
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Hmmm...

I wonder if it's possible to link a unit with a luxury resource... because if you could, it would be nice to link paratroopers with silk and war elephants with ivory... which would be a bit more realistic.

If not, I suppose silk and elephants can be added as strategic resources through the editor. I imagine a lot of people will be changing a lot of things with the editors, trying to make the settings, advances, etc., just right.

Comment

Elephants aren't made out of Ivory though, it's the other way round

Also what if the Indians, the only civ with the elephant, don't start somewhere with access to ivory ( more than likely ). Do they just never get their UUs?
                          A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

The impression I got from the official CIVIII page was that Elephants do not need any resources to be built, unlike it's equivalent, horsemen (I think), which needs horses. So I don't believe you will need ivory for your UU. Therefore, I guess the indians will always have access for their UU.

Comment

Unfortunately true, as unrealistic as it sounds, elephants are not required to build the "war elephant."

Makes you wonder what the Indians are smoking when suddenly their war elephants show up, despite never finding an elephant in their own territory (assuming random map).

Comment

Working...
                              X