No announcement yet.

Naval Warfare - how important in Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, of course, as a Nuclear Deterrent...
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
      And, of course, as a Nuclear Deterrent...
      How is Navy a nuclear deterrant?

UKScud... for all past reasons and the new ones listed here, Navy will be important...
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

How is Navy a nuclear deterrant?
        Boomers, baby. Nuke subs. Ballastic missile launching platforms with first strike capability. Trident D5 missiles that WILL land within ~160 feet of their targets after flying half way around the world. "Chickens of the Sea - We Hide With Pride."

Comment

Originally posted by SuiteSisterMary
          Boomers, baby. Nuke subs.
          Oh, oh, right, right, nuclear subs. Okay, nevermind. I thought you were talking about battleships being nuclear deterrance. I mean a battleship is strong but there is nothing that compares to nuclear weapon.

Trident D5 missiles that WILL land within ~160 feet of their targets
          A quote comes to mind, "Almost only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades and... nuclear weapons"

"Chickens of the Sea - We Hide With Pride."
          @ that!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Also don't know if anyone's mentioned yet, but all the generated maps will be at least 60% water so.....
            A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Naval superiority will be a must in this game. Once all available land is claimed, he who rules the seas, rules the world.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
                Naval superiority will be a must in this game. Once all available land is claimed, he who rules the seas, rules the world.
                Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves...:-)
                Never underestimate the healing powers of custard.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
                  I agree. But I am really interested in the effectivty of sea fortresses to protect your city against naval bombarding.

Comment

Carriers will be a lot important too cause they are mobyle bases for Aircrafts, that now need have a base for they operations.
                    Hehe, and I love make carries!
                    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

It is altogether fitting that we who have sailed the deeps of space now return again to the sea. This is in many ways a water planet, and it can be ruled from the waves. With sea power, rugged terrain can be bypassed and enemy strongholds isolated. Once naval superiority is achieved, Planet is ours for the taking.

-- Col. Corazon Santiago,
                      "Planet: A Survivalist's Guide"

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
                        It is altogether fitting that we who have sailed the deeps of space now return again to the sea. This is in many ways a water planet, and it can be ruled from the waves. With sea power, rugged terrain can be bypassed and enemy strongholds isolated. Once naval superiority is achieved, Planet is ours for the taking.

-- Col. Corazon Santiago,
                        "Planet: A Survivalist's Guide"
                        Heh, heh. That's actually funny now, in retrospect, since naval power mattered so little in SMAC.
                        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathray
                          Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves...:-)
                          And their special unit comes along right about when sea power will begin to be really important.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Then gets her ass-whooped when the ironclads show her men-o-war the bottom of Davy Jones' locker

Comment

Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves...
                              Yea! Go Death Ray!

Then gets her ass-whooped when the ironclads show her men-o-war the bottom of Davy Jones' locker
                              Rats! I'd hoped no one would remember that, which is why I never mentioned it myself. Now there's a case for Golden Ages if ever there was one. Imperialist powers always come and go.

OK! Nuclear deterrant has been added to the list of navy uses.

Note that there is a slight difference this time round , mentioned in the latest news item. Subs can only carry ONE nuclear missile, and that has to be a tactical nuke, not an ICBM which is limited to the city it is built in (again another difference - Can you here the shelter sirens yet!). Other subs and Aegis Cruisers can see subs.

If you become a nuclear power, how will you deploy your weapons? Sub-carried TacNuke or ICBM?

Comment

Both, lay off the coast with Subs for first strikes and use ICBM's for follow up strikes. After all thats what the Real life ones are for. Also if all of your cities are Nuked, you still have a sea born response.
                                "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
                                "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X