No announcement yet.

Modern city view VERY disappointing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess uber is dying to get back to Mingapulco . . .

The city view is pointless. I like art in a game, I think Civ3 for the most part is a beautiful game. But I've never really used the city view. Actually, I should say I've never really looked at the city view. Nobody's ever used it because it has no use.
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

I think that I saw part of this screen (maybe a one half) several MONTHS ago. These skyscrapers defenitly look like some sort of Wonder (of minor Wonder). Personly I think that is an OLD TEST SHOT (use chet menu on one size city & give him many building & wonders).

CIV1's city view was fabullus compared to CIV2 view, wich was a JOKE!
      In CIV1 there was an interaction between city view and building buildings, unrest, we love the kings day & city capture.
      Unfortunately I don't think that that kind of interaction will be in CIV3
      (probaly there would be just a message like in Civ2).

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
        The city view is pointless. I like art in a game, I think Civ3 for the most part is a beautiful game. But I've never really used the city view. Actually, I should say I've never really looked at the city view. Nobody's ever used it because it has no use.
        It's a bit on the eyecandy, but it's somewhat like some statistic graph: useful to have a glance at your buildings and wonders.
        I'm not sure if some animation will still be in, like seeing the buildings/wonders under construction, some road traffic, the falling of building bombarded by enemy troops, the horde of attacking troops invading your cities...
        Maybe some background sound and noise will add to the visual part. Let's wait the final game, then let's start ranting for an expansion...

Originally posted by SerapisIV
        No, any Wall Street building would to have the Greek-imitation architecture of the NY Stock Exhange or the Bull statue that's nearby. A bunch of skyscrapers should be included for any modern city that reaches the metropolis level (12+ pop)
        It is the Wall Street (small) wonder, confirmed.
        BTW, very tall skyscrapers are more common in USA cities, Japan and, of course, Hong Kong, while we have quite few in many others main cities around the world.
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Im glad that Firaxis decided to go with the graphical model of Civ 3, rather than an ASCII model, for obvious reasons

at Uber's nuke
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: Modern city view VERY disappointing!

Originally posted by Ilkuul

Anyone else feel the same?
            Well, partially yes, but mostly not.

It's true that those skyscrapers looks quite
            amusing in the middle of no-where.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I agree with Templar. I haven't used the city view since civ 1. I just don't understand what's so great about it. So it's all the same what it looks like.

But in overall civ 3 looks just superb. I'm just wondering when my chips & bits LE will arrive. If i'm lucky perhaps in november. I still remember the preorder wait when SMAC came out.. Oh dear..

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta
                I agree also. That looks quite stupid with all the empty space. I really hope that is a low-population city. I didn't like Civ2 city view either, maybe because big cities looked like small villages. Civ1 had a good city view, I liked that. I also liked the marching animation(s) when you captured a city.
                Same fellings here!!

The marching animation was very cool - it even changed from period to period (Pikemen in Acient; Musketeers in Middle Ages; Modern Soldiers in Modern Times)!!

Civ 1 view was very cool too, all those buildings close together, all tight, were very real, and you could people on the streets!!

Civ 2 view was very disappointing, no matter what much millions your city population had, the city never had scyscrapers, only a few flats - i agree it looked like a village, very pathetic!!

I really hope that image is from a low population too!! (but if it is, why the skyscrapers?)

Aldo it has no effect in gameplay whatsoever, I really enjoy all this artwork thing!!

I mean, can anyone say (for real) that doesn't enjoy looking for some good artwork in a game, aldo it doesn't have any effect in gameplay? Can you imagine the Civilization game only with plots in a black and white screen, with great gameplay?

Come on, be honest with yourselfs!! The artwork is a party for the players eyes!!

The gameplay is obviasly the most important thing in a game, but a good artwork is a good add-on!!

Portugal
                Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
                Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
                and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
                "Every day Mankind fights a battle against Nature, forgetting if winning, Mankind will be among the defeated!"

Comment

Working...
                X