Movement in Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement in Civ

This has little to do with Civ3 in particular but...

How would increasing the movement rates of all units in the game by a factor of something like 10 affect the game?

-Alech
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Everything would move ten times faster.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

It would be incredibly boring?

I dont even like the 2x movement rate in civ2
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

It would make wars and combat suck.

Comment

Very informative...

But what effect will it have on gameplay. Why will it be borig?

-Alech
          "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

It would be boring because, units would become too powerful. It would throw the balance of the game way off. Exploration of an entire planet would occur in a matter of turns and conquest of a "far away" civ could occur almost instantly.

1 well equipped unit could wipe out 5 or 6 under equipped units in ancient times.

I'm going home now, so I dont have time to explain really.....but I know it would be incredibly dull.
            I see the world through bloodshot eyes
            Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Movment rates in the early game are fine, but IMHO the later rates should be higher. If a warrior moves at 1, a tank should move at 10, but the way combat is related to movement, this is off balancing. If only combat and movement were separate.

Comment

It is a bad idea to increase movement by factors, because:

1) Number of attacks depends on movement, so a very powerful unit could attack multiple times and devastate an almost unlimited number of weaker units.
                2) Transports would have no chance of being intercepted, because they would move so quickly.
                3) Movement-inhibiting terrain would not be as powerful an obstacle as it is supposed to be.
                4) The first side declaring war would get so many attacks in just one turn that he could completely overwhelm an opponent in just one turn.
                5) Exploration and colonization would be way too fast, and the game would not last for long.
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

How about limiting attacks to one per turn, and not increase the movement of ships so drastically.

-Alech

Comment

Comment

Attacks should not be tied to movement, or make it so that 1 attack for every 3 movement points after the first. That's the whole point about the blitzkreig, but it shouldn't happen until after mobilzation becomes in affect.

Terrain should be made tougher.

Units should be able to be set to "patrol" an area. That would solve the transport issue.

Comment

What if, what if...
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

how about you leave it alone and trust firaxis

i said trust and firaxis in the same setence!

multiplayer.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Why add confusion? There is really no need. Moves = attacks, and with that in mind too many moves is extremely unbalancing.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

CONFUSION

To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Working...
                              X