Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy

I've seen some indications that Piracy will be included in Civ3. Is this true? And if yes, how will it be implimented?

-Alech
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

You will be able to build a Privateer unit that can attack other shipping without being at war. The Privateer will not be identifiable as belonging to your civ.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Arrrr! So basically you do your dirty work anonymously under the guise of piracy? Sounds neat
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

I think I'll be building a crap load of those babies.

...and also a huge navy to counter theirs!
        Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
        "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Argh, me mates! That does sound like swashbuckling fun, but...

Will there be any loot?

-Alech
          "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

I'm sure the privateers will be very weak (for their time), though. Speaking of their time, I'm sure it will be around the Renaissance age or little after that.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I was wondering about loot as well. Will destruction of a unit with a Privateer yield some gold for the treasury? That would be cool. I tried asking Dan in another thread, but the question got lost in the deluge of other posts.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Oh you mean *that* kind of piracy.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                  I'm sure the privateers will be very weak (for their time), though. Speaking of their time, I'm sure it will be around the Renaissance age or little after that.
                  According to one of the AVault strategy essays it's a weakened firgate unit. It becomes available in the middle ages.

Comment

I wonder if the naval combat is like in Colonization, where ships were mostly just damaged, rather than being destroyed. Not sure if this would work in Civ though.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Wait a moment. There is no more caravan. So what are the pirates supposed to be attacking? Warships? That was something historical pirates have always avoided. It was the warships that pursued the pirates, not the other way round.

The idea is thrilling, but for it to make sense, we would need a less abstracted form of trade. As it is, pirates should probably be active at the macrolevel, like spies.
                      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I really hope, Piracy won't be similar to piracy in CtP. It was so annoying that one single act of pirating could "kill" a whole trade route. And while the AI kept building and building new trade routes, it was way too much micromanagement to do likewise. therefore my economy was always down at the bottom. I really hope FIRAXIS did better work.
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I think it would have been cool to have the Barbarians be the pirates: You'd pay them to attack and harass your enemy.

This way, you wouldn't have so much control over them, just like real pirates.
                          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
                          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

IMHO, piracy is an interesting feature. But when using these units, there should be a small risk, that your opponents discover that you are supporting pirates and have the possibilty to declare war on you ...

Comment

Privateers can go after transports (e.g., galleons) and sink them. Keeps opponents from transferring troops. But not an official act of war. Most likely, this is a way for the AI to harrass US, the players. Real pirates, in the form of sea transported invaders, have been a part of the two previous civs. Civ I also had "pirates" that emptied your food box if they caught one of your coastal cities without a defender.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X