Length of turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of turns

Has anyone heard about (or can anyone from Firaxis comment on) the length of each turn in Civ III?

In Civ II at Deity level, the game starts at 50 years per turn, slows to 20, then 10, then 2, and finally 1 year per turn. I find myself wishing the early game would last longer because before I know it, it's 1500 AD. I don't think I'd like a 6000 turn game but something longer than 200+ turns would be nice.
    Frodo lives!

I dont have an exact number, but a deity game certainly has a lot more turns than 200

theres 170 alone between 1850-2020
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

I don't think it switches to single year turns until around 1900.
      Frodo lives!

Comment

Yes I believe it does change to 1 year per turn at 1850......but only one way to find out

In any case, if you want a longer game, pace yourself! Take your time...stop to look at your civ and enjoy your nice work for once......

Civ is all about the journey, not the end....least it should be
        I see the world through bloodshot eyes
        Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

You're absolutely right... only one way to find out.

Now I can tell my wife I'm doing research tonight.
          Frodo lives!

Comment

So, the bottom line is that the turns are still the same (lame) as in Civ2?
            If that is the fact, is there a way to stretch the game a bit in the earlier phases? Via editing tools, perhaps?
            I have no Civ2 modification experience, so any advice would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by drake
              I dont have an exact number, but a deity game certainly has a lot more turns than 200

theres 170 alone between 1850-2020
              Turn 200 occurs in Year 1750 and turn 250 occurs in 1850 (at Emperor and Deity). For me, if a Civ2 game lasts beyond 250 turns, I consider that a failure.

The best scenario I have played was Kull's Seeds of Greatness where there were 200 turns before 1 ad (which was the end). The only way you can design a 'sweep of time' game where there will be those that wants the ancient age last longer or those that wants the modern age to be the focus is to balance it out like they have.

Comment

I couldn't care less about if the turns gets slower at the earlier years, but what I would like to see is from 1950 (or little later) we begin on countring months, not nesesary one month at a time, but let's say 3 months, that would make the game more fun, atleast that's my oppinion
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

i think the game should last a bit longer in the early years (10yrs per turn).

i mean, once, i have only just discoroured the wheel and it was 1500....

but there should be more ancient units (nioce rusty ones) so we have more to play with early on.
                  eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                    i mean, once, i have only just discoroured the wheel and it was 1500....
                    So your civ wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box, eh?

Seriously, though, in the Civ2 scenario editor you could alter the length of turns, so I don't see why that wouldn't be possible with the editor in Civ 3.

Cheers.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Turn length was always a problem with me in the previous CIV games, and will probably be a problem with me in this one. In the war aspect, it was impossible to get a war over with in say 4 years like WWII. Just moving your troops into place took forever if there wasn't a railroad heading there. In reality, a ship could circle the earth in months. In Civ 2, it would take 10 years depending on the map. I agree that the time scale should be adjustable down to monthly increments.

Comment

Huh??? You want 72,000 turns?!?!

Historical scenarios are designed for purpose of bringing you into that historical event or time period. Some scenarios have 1 turn = 1 day and while wars like WW2 seem to fit best at 1 turn = 1 month because of the inordinate length of time it takes to play one turn.

200-300 turns seem to be the best solution to have a game the last long enough to really get into but not too long that you give up (for me, that's about 25-30 hours).

Having said that, how would YOU divide up 6000 years (give or take a few hundred) to fit 200-300 turns?

Comment

Hey, cool. There's someone else in here that's also from Colorado.

Comment

Now I know this discussion is about time scale, but I would like to add that the game will not end until 2050. At least that is the impression I get from reading that all over previews.

If the editor is going to be as good as it is made out to be, then time scale will be editable. I know I will be one who will decrease the time increments for the ancient years. In doing this, though, I will create some more techs to counteract that move.
                            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Or simply increase the tech paradgim if you increase the number of turns -that requires massive amounts of playtesting...

I'll be so annoyed if in civ3 we have on diety level people completing all the tech by 1000 AD.

Comment

Working...
                              X