City limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City limits

I tried asking the almighty all knowing dan, but he ignored me because I didnt give him a virtual cookie .

So whos got the answer? Are we going to be stuck with the lame amount of 255 cities as a cap or are we going to have a nice fat number like 400?

This is particularly important for the success of large map games.
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

With the larger maps they would most likely have at least 1024 cities, most likely more.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I highly doubt it. It certainly wouldn't be 256 if there was...probably 1500 or something
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

He probably didn't answer because he didn't know the answer and I can't blame him. I certainly didn't even know a city limit existed until you brought it up. Once a game got to a lot earlier than that point I quit playing. It's no longer fun but tedious busywork.

But I understand fun means different things to different people.

Comment

Actually, I don't think Dan would actually know.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

over 1000? uh no way. Thats an absurd number. Way off.

I'm looking for an answer that has some basis, not just guesses.

Comment

Once a game got to a lot earlier than that point I quit playing. It's no longer fun but tedious busywork.
              So you never finish games? What then may I ask is the point? (or do you always play on small and medium maps?)

Comment

I don't see the point. Why limits at all? We'll all have 2gHz puters soon.
                To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

every program has its limits, and no, we all wont have 2 ghz processors soon

Thats called overkill unless you're running 5 or 6 major 3d rendering programs or something.

But hey, I'm sure all the computer geeks will have them.

Comment

Originally posted by drake
                    So you never finish games? What then may I ask is the point? (or do you always play on small and medium maps?)
                    I stop when I know I've won. Why continue the inevitable? It's no fun continuing when you have more than twice as many cities as the second place civ. The fun is in competing, not going through the motions.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
                      I don't see the point. Why limits at all? We'll all have 2gHz puters soon.
                      The reason for a limit is memory, not speed. But memory shouldn't be a problem either.
                      They could easily make the limit 65536 cities (one city/square), but as cities not can be next to each other it would be more then enough. Also 128 x 128 (16384) would be more then the maximum. (As cities wouldn't fit diagonally either.)

Comment

I'm not interested in what they can do, I'm interested in what a reasonable guess as to what they did do.

Comment

I think its gonna be expanded to 512 cities. More would be a waste of processor´s capability. As u mencioded, everyone doesnt have a 2000HGz processor.
                          Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
                          Asesino_Virtual

Comment

It is the memory, not the processor that is the main factor, and they should have abilities to have a big number, but it maybe should be set to a smaller limit, without being a technical limit, that could be edited with the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by drake
                              over 1000? uh no way. Thats an absurd number. Way off.

I'm looking for an answer that has some basis, not just guesses.
                              Jesus drake, it was a joke. Hence the ""

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X