The Editor and Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Lorizael
    City Walls are not listed there because they are probably under the improvements/wonders tab.
    Maybe that's true for Railroad movement too? Maybe it's nested in the Civilization Advances tab or the Terrain tab?

Who knows.
    Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
    "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Originally posted by Faeelin
      I like the ability to add/edit technologies. Finally, a game where hoverships can mow down babylonian archers.
      We've been able to since Civ2 came out. Go look at a little file called rules.txt.
      *grumbles about work*

Comment

Does anyone know what Worker Jobs are? Does that just refer to what a Worker unit can do... irrigation, mining, etc... In that case, how would you be able to edit it? Hmmm, maybe we could make new things for them to do!
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike

We've been able to since Civ2 came out. Go look at a little file called rules.txt.
          But in Civ III it will be easier for "dummies" to do that
          what was already possible to be done in Civ II.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

THANKS YIN!!!

Thanks for getting the screen onto the page... How'd you do it???

Anyways, I'm one to think that maybe this screen is a wee bit outdated and the rail movement is in... At least I hope so.
            Funny you should say that- twice now I have tried to click on a screenshot to retrieve more info from it (only to be disappointed ).
            I wonder if they keep a tally on how many people try to click on the screens???
            I know I'm guilty.
            I FOR ONE CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT'S BEHIND THE OTHER TABS!!!
            (salutes "THE LIST")
            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin

But in Civ III it will be easier for "dummies" to do that
              what was already possible to be done in Civ II.
              So they're packaging little gnomes with the game to edit it for you? Maybe I should buy a couple dozen boxes and teach all of the to post on Apolyton. I'll be an Emperor in no time!
              *grumbles about work*

Comment

Wow, I get back from vacation and look what was waiting for me! I wish I could find a [crying for joy] smily thing for us Civ Construction Set guys.

Was there ever any doubt since Firaxis always knew how important the scenario community has been for the longevity of Civ2 and thus, for Civ3?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                  Wow, I get back from vacation and look what was waiting for me! I wish I could find a [crying for joy] smily thing for us Civ Construction Set guys.

Was there ever any doubt since Firaxis always knew how important the scenario community has been for the longevity of Civ2 and thus, for Civ3?
                  I don't see it.

I think I remember you from the days of the Civ2 SLeague, Steve, and I expected you to recognize how important scripting is for making fun scenarios.
                  I always liked the extra 'zing' it gave a scenario in Civ2... continuing the storyline from the otherwise fleeting starting point. Perhaps you remember Cam Hill's Gangsters Scenario? Without scripting, it would be decidedly less fun.

The omission of any scripting support is a great flaw in my eyes, and nothing to be happy about...

Comment

It all looks very promising , but, where is the events editor
                    And what about the ingame messages (game.txt and labels.txt in civ 2)?

If those arent in, we have a problem
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike

So they're packaging little gnomes with the game to edit it for you?
                      Didn't you know that?!?
                      BTW, the LE includes gnomes with higher intelligence
                      than the "standard" gnomes. Luckily I have preordered
                      Civ III LE, so I will get better gnomes than those with
                      normal Civ III.
                      Maybe I should buy a couple dozen boxes and teach all of the to post on Apolyton. I'll be an Emperor in no time!
                      What kind of crap would they post?
                      "Hello! I'm a gnome of Shadowstrike, who is my master."
                      "You all are such azzlickers!"
                      "Apolyton CS sucks!"

Anyway, I suppose you have gnomes on your attic.
                      Last edited by Rasbelin; October 21, 2001, 05:45.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Grim: I would say that the events.txt file in Civ2 is fairly rudimentary, primarily focusing on the if...then clause. This, imo, is not a scripting language that Locustus has been talking about (coming from CtP) where it has more of a structured programming syntax. Without any evidence, I fully expect that something like the events.txt file will be there in Civ3 because even the most basic Civ2 scenarios had to have some triggers just to do something simple as displaying a message based on an action. If they put in something like, if city x is captured then display message, then we can run with that to create much more elaborate events. Besides, didn't Dan say that everything in Civ2 to create scenarios is in Civ3 and much more?

Comment

I'm reading the Civ III developer update, and I can't believe what I'm reading:

The editors in Civilization III are only the beginning. Based on feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features.

. . .

As those in the 'trenches' of creating new content run into limitations, we'll work on eradicating those barriers.
                          This looks very promising indeed.
                          "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin

Didn't you know that?!?
                            BTW, the LE includes gnomes with higher intelligence
                            than the "standard" gnomes. Luckily I have preordered
                            Civ III LE, so I will get better gnomes than those with
                            normal Civ III.

What kind of crap would they post?
                            "Hello! I'm a gnome of Shadowstrike, who is my master."
                            "You all are such azzlickers!"
                            "Apolyton CS sucks!"

Anyway, I suppose you have gnomes on your attic.
                            Tried it last year.... the weasels living there ate well for a while.
                            *grumbles about work*

Comment

One more thought on the necessity of an events.txt-like file. In addition to having an event that displays a message, the other basic type of an event is the controlled appearance of special/non-special units. Again, even the basic Microprose scenarios had those like when/where Lee/Jackson/Grant appeared on the map in the Civil War scenario. While they are not true scripting algorithms, events are fundamental to scenarios. You wouldn't be able to make a Civ3 scenario without them and we know that Civ3 comes with a scenario(s).

Comment

Hey I just noticed that at the top of the edit menu screen shot, it says, "Edit Civ 3 Rules."

I'd take a wild stab and say that there's probably other edit screens, perhaps events, scenario parameters, etc, though it does seem that scenario parameters are covered in the terrain, units, etc. tabs.

Just a fleeting thought...
                                "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Working...
                                X