No announcement yet.

The Editor and Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the editor looks great, my only concern is when MP comes out (hey my pet pig just started flying) how will we know that we are all on a level playing field?
    "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five. Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind have lost track myself. but bein' this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question.......do i feel lucky?..........well do ya punk?"

Comment

More interesting (and less obvious) is if railroads still give your land-units unlimited moves. I sure dont hope so.
      Hey don't forget that you can't use opponent's rails like in Civ2. The infinite move bonus was broken because you could rush into enemy territory (if they also had rails) and attack without fear of leaving units vulnerable.

I do agree though. I remember they had to write code that kept the AI civs (and automated settlers *gasp*) from moving in circles forever. I think a 1/10 movement rate would have been fine.
      Last edited by cassembler; October 19, 2001, 21:05.
      "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

I hope there are many a choice for AI levels...
        "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Check out the Defensive bonuses in that game-editor screenshot:

Town.............. 0
          City............... 50
          Metropolis... 100
          Fortress......... 50
          River.............. 25
          Fortifications.. 25
          Citizen............. 4
          Building........... 4

How should the two latter alternatives (citizen & building) be interpreted? Does 10 pops in a city mean 10 x 4% = 40% increased defence-bonus? Together with 10 city-improvements in that city; likewise 40% added = grand total of 80% defence-bonus?

How does this correspond with the city/metropolis inputs? And where is the citywall-multiplier, and how does the other city defence-buildings come into play?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
            I have to say that despite the lack of a scripting language
            I can understand your opinion; but it's hard to make
            every civer happy.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Almost brings a tear to my eyes. Nice work on this one, Firaxis! Can't wait to see what the Civ Construction Set guys will do with this one (Ralf: ).
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

By the way, if that image is breaking people's browsers, I can take it out.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Well, I don't see any options for rail and river movement, so rails must still give infinite movement ( ) and rivers probably don't add to movement, unless the road number applies to rivers.

Also- I too wonder what the citizien and improvements defense stats are for..? Maybe they have something to do with bombardment? And it looks like ICS has another con if big cities get bigger bonuses to defense.

Shield cost per gold= 8? seems a little steep to me, but this may not be the game default.

Forest value in shields= 10 Very Alpha Centauri indeed!

Geezuz! The scenario creators are going to have a field day with this editor!!

Comment

Its sure looks impressive!

Originally posted by Firaxis/dev-update
                    This editor not only allows you to alter game elements such as advances, civilizations, units and wonders (to name a few), but also includes a robust map editor. Using the editor, users are empowered to create scenarios that we never dreamt of during development.
                    I wonder if above map-editor really is situated under one of those tabs? I dont see any Map-edit tab - only terrain (for terrain-values, I guess). Perhaps a separate editor?

The editors in Civilization III are only the beginning. Based on feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features. The editors are just tools, ones that the fan community needs to make meaningful by creating new scenarios with. As those in the 'trenches' of creating new content run into limitations, we'll work on eradicating those barriers. Firaxis is very interested in Civilization III having an active mod community, but need to know where our efforts are best spent. Together we can make Civilization III a potent platform for not only exploring factual history, but also your creativity and interests.
                    My bold & italic underlining.
                    Sounds promising, doesnt it? By the way - they should make that screenshot interactive
                    Last edited by Ralf; October 20, 2001, 05:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                      By the way - they should make that screenshot interactive
                      Funny you should say that- twice now I have tried to click on a screenshot to retrieve more info from it (only to be disappointed ).

Once was on a main map screen, where I tried to click on another city to see if I could see its city screen too.

And the other was with this editor screen- tried clicking one of the other tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
                        I think there are a few extra nifty tools (I hope we can change more then simply the names of improvments and wonders (how about setting special effects for advacnes, instead of having them tied to slots?) ), but I'm still kind disappoointed that even a simple FW-esque event system wasn't added. If only there was some way of letting the designer push the plot along....
                        Yes I too was shocked by the absence of a scripting language! In Civ2, you could do quite some nifty things (reinforcements, historical keypoints, even making armies move to attack!). I sure hope these things are still possible! If this has all gone away, Civ3 is a step back. Disappointing!

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                          rivers probably don't add to movement, unless the road number applies to rivers.
                          The Gamespot preview says that rivers now run between tiles instead of through them. In that case, I don't think units will be able to even get on them, let alone use them as roads.

The river defense bonus in the editor probably refers to the defender being on the other side of the river from the attacker, not actually in it.

I hope this is wrong. I liked exploring down the rivers.
                          Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

I must admit that I didn't expect such a good
                            looking editor. At least it's clear and seems to
                            have plenty of editable options.

One more positive score for Firaxis.
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I like the ability to add/edit technologies. Finally, a game where hoverships can mow down babylonian archers.

Comment

City Walls are not listed there because they are probably under the improvements/wonders tab.

I think citizen and building defense bonus represents citizens helping out when the city is under attack, and buildings being used as makeshift fortifications, awesome.

so many times I've tried to click on those images...
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X