The Editor and Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Editor and Comments

Ok, so this is the editor... VERY BEEFY INDEED!!!
    This thread will be dedicated to deciphering it's implications...

(Ps I tried to post the screenshot, but I could only do a link, so if any of you savvy dudes could do this, please do so).
    "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

The first questions I have:

1) What is the WEALTH/ shield cost per gold?
    2) The chance of rioting? Will there be random rioting?
    3) Forst value in shields?
    4) Default Money resource?
    5) Default captured units?

This is gonna be fantastic... so... many... buttons....
    "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

This definetely is awesome! Too bad we can't see the other 15 screens that make up the Editor. It says movement rate along road = 3 I wonder is this is a constant rate, or the same like in civ 3, triple move.

And Stealth planes are really stealthy! 5% intercept chance as compared to 50%

I'm also wondering exactly what some of the defensive bonues mean? Does this mean citizens help when there is a siege? and buildings can act as makeshift fortifications?

Also... Jeff said you edit WONDERS... awesome! I wonder (pun intended ) how much control you have over wonder editing/creation
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Just some guesses - but they make sense to me

>1) What is the WEALTH/ shield cost per gold?

Most likely The number of shields it takes to make one gold when building wealth (Capitalization)

>2) The chance of rioting? Will there be random rioting?

Most likely the chance of rioting when the a city is unhappy.

>3) Forst value in shields?

Perhaps we will be able to clear-cut forests for quick shield boost.

>4) Default Money resource?

Natural resource that gives wealth?

>5) Default captured units?

When you capture an enemy unit (with 0 def value) what kind of unit do you get.

Comment

Originally posted by lorien
          >5) Default captured units?

When you capture an enemy unit (with 0 def value) what kind of unit do you get.
          So, captured Great Leaders are reduced to workers in captivity? Cool.

"Yes, monsieur Napoleon, I'm certain you were quite important in your homeland, but you're my bitch now. Quit complaining and pick those potatos or I'll give you a damn good thrashing!"

Comment

What I really like is the "Artificial Intelligence Default Difficulty Level!"
            (Right column, next to bottom)

Comment

There are lots of interesting little rules we can deduce from looking just at this one screenshot. I like how you apparently get a one time shield bonus when cutting down a forest, for instance. Also, cities naturally having a greater defense the larger they get.

However, some disturbing stuff as well. For instance, where's the space to set railroad movement? Since there is none, does that mean the dreaded unlimited rail movement is back? At the very least there should be another box for railroad movement, and if zero is selected that would mean infinite.

(Mentally starting my wishlist )

Also, its neat that I can set the barbarian type, but what if I want more than 2 land barbarian types or 1 naval barbarian type? Civ2 had lots more barbarian variety than that.

Or what if I want more than 3 city size levels? With the CTP games that was something one could easily do.

Comment

I think there are a few extra nifty tools (I hope we can change more then simply the names of improvments and wonders (how about setting special effects for advacnes, instead of having them tied to slots?) ), but I'm still kind disappoointed that even a simple FW-esque event system wasn't added. If only there was some way of letting the designer push the plot along....
                *grumbles about work*

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                  What I really like is the "Artificial Intelligence Default Difficulty Level!"
                  That's my favourite too. It's a handsome one for
                  scenario making.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    It says movement rate along road = 3 I wonder is this is a constant rate, or the same like in civ 3, triple move.
                    It obviously means that the unit movement-rate is multiplied with 3 (or whatever you choose) along roads - just like it meant in Civ-1, Civ-2 & SMAC. Dont invent confusion if there isnt any to begin with.

More interesting (and less obvious) is if railroads still give your land-units unlimited moves. I sure dont hope so. A fixed RR move-radius, regardless land unit-type and without any attack/defence detrition, would be much better & more challenging. Sadly, the lack of RR-move inputs in that editor, seems to suggest that those old unbalanced "infinite RR-moves" are still in the game. One keep ones fingers crossed though.

Comment

I have to say that despite the lack of a scripting language [insert bitching here ], the number of rules and flags that you can edit is far superior ro Civ2, and revives my hopes for a decent modding/customizing/scenario situation
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

IW,

Check out my theory in the Official Site Update thread.

Comment

Originally posted by lorien
                          >3) Forst value in shields?

Perhaps we will be able to clear-cut forests for quick shield boost.
                          I do hope so. That would bring the game closer to Colonization where you got 20 lumber for clearing a forest in the city radius. And that was a great game with lots of cool features.

Regarding the roads I'm quite sure they will be the same way as in Civ 3 (and in Civ, and Civ 2 as well)
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Everyone's making fun of me because I made a dumb comment about roads...

Anyway, the forest cutting down thingy begs the question, why keep forests at all? Why not cut them all down? I hope the answer to this question is because it affects pollution and global warming :fingers crossed:
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              Anyway, the forest cutting down thingy begs the question, why keep forests at all? Why not cut them all down? ...
                              Forests are probably probably worth extra shield production ala Civ2. And take a Worker time to clear (unless they work with the speed of a fast Civ2 Engineer at some point in the game).

Post 100!

Comment

Working...
                              X