"Your Palace, Sire..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Your Palace, Sire..."

I never played Civ1- please explain to me what exactly the palace does, or rather, what determines how it morphs through the ages?

It's merely decorative. Like the throne room in Civ2.

Basically every so often you get to choose to 'upgrade' a part of it, like the road, or towers, or the sides of the roads. Each section of the road/roadside had 3-4 possible upgrades, the palace-palace had 3-4 possible upgrades in 3 different styles.

It didn't evolve throughout the ages, other than bits you chose to upgrade.

Comment

Cool- thanx

I like the interactive part of the whole idea

Comment

The palace screen rocked. I am very happy they are bringing back this simple yet rewarding feature.

Comment

Yes, the palace screen was a very nice feature of Civ1. In comparison the Civ2 throne room sucked. (I wouldn't particullary want a throne myself... it's a bit too... royal... and not... (evil) mastermindly enough for me)

And the CTP equivilant was godawfully awful. In fact it was so awful I forgot CTP had one until a friend reminded me....

Comment

I hope the palace will appear in your city view the way it is !
            That would be cool !
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Yes, that throne looked *really* uncomfortable. The best looking throne-room IMHO was when you had all the 'improvements' at level 3. Except the royal carpet thing, that looked good on the final (level 4) setting
              Apologies if i lost anyone with that fairly bad description

And speaking of bad, what exactly was the CTP equivilant??
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                And speaking of bad, what exactly was the CTP equivilant??
                Differing sizes of camper equipment: pup tent; 4 man tent; pop-up trailer camper; modest mobile home; the White House (hey- it qualifies as a 'temporary residence'! )

Comment

Ctp gave us a half assed town square effort.

Of the throne room did anyone else leave the throne it'self the first step after chair for as long as possible? ( the throne with steps ) the big red eyesore was a bit weird.
                  A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I always upgraded my throne to the one with the steps. The red one was one ugly piece of ****. I always liked the white marble throneroom the best, with the lv 4 carpet of course.

Comment

I'm very happy about the palace. I always played CivI with it on, but CivII with the throne room off. It was also nice that you had different palace styles, but only one throne room.

Now, we will have to wait another couple of weeks for CivIII. I suggest that everyone that hasn't played CivI go out and get it. It has som neat feature that disappeared from CivII.

btw, I liked the city square! That and the PW. As for the rest... hmmm...
                      To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

The city square had the same fault as the throne room, i.e. every upgrade was the ssame every time. The great thing about the Civ palace is you could build the full Castle, Taj Mahal or Acropolis style building or mix and match castle walls with classical towers and central Onion domes if that took your fancy. A slightly different palace every time.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
                          I'm very happy about the palace. I always played CivI with it on, but CivII with the throne room off. It was also nice that you had different palace styles, but only one throne room.

Now, we will have to wait another couple of weeks for CivIII. I suggest that everyone that hasn't played CivI go out and get it. It has som neat feature that disappeared from CivII.

btw, I liked the city square! That and the PW. As for the rest... hmmm...

Where excactly can I get CivI for PC?? It's only a couple of years ago that I tried to boot my antique Amiga to play it.. but the disk drive was faulty.

Fred

Comment

Re: "Your Palace, Sire..."

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                            I never played Civ1
                            Than what are you waiting for???? no one will play it for you go and play it yourself

seriously... play civ1 and find out how deep is the rabbit hole
                            Last edited by Mankind; October 19, 2001, 06:44.
                            Win98 ERROR 009: Press any key to continue or any other to quit
                            f**k the f****n f*****s!
                            I'am realy enjoing not talking to you...
                            let's not talk again REAL soon...

Comment

I still do not understand why they didn't intergrate the throne room with the diplomacy screen.

It would be much cooler if you would welcome guests in your throne room, and you would be welcomed in the throne room of your enemies.

That way you can see how much your enemies are loved by their civilians. And it makes more sence to improve your throne room. I always turned the option off.
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X