Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamespot says: "Just about the only disappointing thing about Civilization III is..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespot says: "Just about the only disappointing thing about Civilization III is..."

Just about the only disappointing thing about Civilization III is multiplayer capability, which is not included at all. Alpha Cenaturi had play-by-email capability retrofitted in a subsequent patch, but Civilization III does not have multiplayer mode in any form--it's a strictly solo game. It follows the tradition of the first two games--also solo only--which is immensely disappointing.
    GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Well. Start counting the negative paragraphs relating to lack of MP. Many of you don't care about MP...but it seems a few reviewers might.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Well the MP players can start counting. Too bad that they just can't tolerate the idea that deadlines sometimes can't be met.
    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

And too bad the reviews will suffer for it, eh?
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

IMHO, if that's the only disappointment, were in good shape.

Comment

Well, we are in the 'fluff' preview stage, so my much bigger concern...AI...has not had time enough to be reviewed. Still, I find it interesting that the negative mentions of a lack of MP are already in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            Well, we are in the 'fluff' preview stage, so my much bigger concern...AI...has not had time enough to be reviewed. Still, I find it interesting that the negative mentions of a lack of MP are already in gear.
            I have to agree with you here.. the AI is my biggest concern.. CivII wasn't horrible for it's time, but I believe CivIII should be greatly improved on this. I like the fact that no one at Firaxis can beat the game on Deity, but then of course their going to praise their own product.

It's actually shocking Gamespot said anything negative about the game seeing as Infogrames seems to have made them the exception to the rule of no reviews before Oct. 22nd.

Comment

Why do you do this yin?

While you're counting the negative paragraphs about MP, I think you should also count all the paragraphs about all the new and better things. It's only fair.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

i don't think mp is that important.

i think civ was always meant as a solitary game
                Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                  Why do you do this yin?
                  I can't say why he does it, but let me tell you something, this was not a review. It was a preview. There are few games that GameSpot and the rest won't at least give some glory to in a preview. I have read that Pizza Tycoon will be a great game in one preview.

The fact that MP is being mentioned in a glorified preview, does seem to indicate what direction the reviews are going to take. The game will take a hit for it, probably hurting ratings and sales.

While you're counting the negative paragraphs about MP, I think you should also count all the paragraphs about all the new and better things. It's only fair.
                  I would assume one of the optomists will take care of that for yin. In fact I am suprised you didn't yourself and you call yourself a ACS poster...
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Why do you do this yin?
                    You mean point out "just about the only disappointing thing about Civ3" according to Gamespot (so far anyway)? Because it's quite interesting.

I would also argue that you are taking this in the wrong light:

1) While I most certainly AM highlighting the fact that lack of MP will bring what should have been avoided negative criticism,

2) The fact that there are no other glaring negative comments made so far (like: The game won't even install correctly) should give you non-MP guys some good news.

Comment

If the only disappointing thing so far is lack of MP, thats fine by me. I doubt this will bring down review scores too much.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

I can't say why he does it, but let me tell you something, this was not a review. It was a preview. There are few games that GameSpot and the rest won't at least give some glory to in a preview. I have read that Pizza Tycoon will be a great game in one preview.

The fact that MP is being mentioned in a glorified preview, does seem to indicate what direction the reviews are going to take. The game will take a hit for it, probably hurting ratings and sales.

I would assume one of the optomists will take care of that for yin. In fact I am suprised you didn't yourself and you call yourself a ACS poster...
                        I still think that the MP population is much smaller than the SP population. I also don't think that all those who play MP will not buy the game because it doesn't come with MP. Look at all other titles with "Sid Meier's..." on the top of them. I trust this will be a good game, and the millions of other consumers out there do too.

I don't have that much time on my hands, Tniem. What is an ACS poster?

Yes, it sucks that MP is out for now, but everything else is most certainly in.
                        Last edited by Lorizael; October 19, 2001, 02:12.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You mean point out "just about the only disappointing thing about Civ3" according to Gamespot (so far anyway)? Because it's quite interesting.

I would also argue that you are taking this in the wrong light:

1) While I most certainly AM highlighting the fact that lack of MP will bring what should have been avoided negative criticism,

2) The fact that there are no other glaring negative comments made so far (like: The game won't even install correctly) should give you non-MP guys some good news.
                          Okay, sorry Yin, I overreacted. Yes, we all want MP, and I hope Firaxis gives it to us shortly (and good (and without extra money paying)).

Comment

Re: Gamespot says: "Just about the only disappointing thing about Civilization III is...&am

Well. Start counting the negative paragraphs relating to lack of MP. Many of you don't care about MP...but it seems a few reviewers might.

Talk about obvious. Of course this will be negative if a reviewer or a player cares about MP.

An SP only will look at it and say, that's the only negative, wow, that's great!

And Yin just won't stop complaining. It never stops. It's like death and taxes.

So therefore, *plonk*.

Comment

I agree with the above thread, pointing out that it was prefaced by "Just about the only disappointing thing...".

I can't place it right now, but a while back there was some game I was immensely satisfied with, and the reviewer (CGW probably) wrote the exact same thing. It was at the close of the review. After reading two pages of "kudos" about the game, the comment on MP did not hit the reader like a ton of bricks. In this case, it came across more as the reviewer trying to demonstrate that they were being objective and comprehensive in their evaluation.

In the context of a review the severity of an MP comment will depend on whether it follows something like "And not only does the AI disappoint, but the game has no MP to make up for it."

As to this thread, it may look to some as a negative post since it is the lead off statement in the first post. IMO the point of the post was to point out that reviewers do care about MP (as some had predicted).

Comment

Working...
                              X