strategy guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategy guide

i know there was talk about the stategy guide and the fact it was going to be released early has anyone gotten it and if so any good info in it?

AFAIK, it was pushed back past the release date.

Comment

EB lists the guide as the 24th (If I remember correctly), a week before the release. Doubt it will actually come out on that date but you never know.
      Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

thanks ixnay i hadnt heard anything and too lazy to check

Comment

A strategy guide for a game that only Firaxis has played so far? Boy, I bet that's worth the money.
          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Hey, it'll be good to get a list of units, wonders, etc. for $16.00 a week before the game ships.
            Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Comment

I enjoy the strategy guide (although this is based on the SG for CTP1) primarily to read the historical writeups and game analysis of the wonders, enhancements, and unit attributes.

Often an SG will also clarify how some game mechanics work where the game manual falls short.

If Firaxis kept play testing and development closed, it would not be the first time that Prima had a game developer actually write the SG.

Comment

Originally posted by donarumo
                Hey, it'll be good to get a list of units, wonders, etc. for $16.00 a week before the game ships.
                Or let someone else spend the $16 and get the info for free when they post it here..

Comment

A strategy guide for a game that only Firaxis has played so far? Boy, I bet that's worth the money
                  well since the publisher lists it as published i guess you should get out your wallet unless you think its full of the screenshots and knowledge posted here.

Comment

Yeesh. I strategy guide with a pre-game release. Personally, I think the game community should boycott such monstrosities. As for me, if I want a strat guide, I'll be waiting for a high quality unofficial strategy guide. A proper one simply can't be written without at least a month of playing the actual game, let alone a few months messing with pre-release betas. I'll bet you anything, the strategy guide will be inaccurate in terms of which civs have which CSA's, at least. IIRC, a few of those changed pretty late in the dev cycle. It wouldn't surprise me to see, on their units chart, a UU called the "Crusader" or something like that.
                    To those who understand,
                    I extend my hand.
                    To the doubtful I demand,
                    Take me as I am.

Comment

One real use for strategy guides associated with Firaxis games has been to answer the "how did they calculate that" and the "why does that work like that" questions. The manual tends to tell you what a statistic means in the game, rather than how it was caldulated. Same for game effects (Wonders, Advances, Improvements); the manual tells you what happens in relation to these, but not why the designers settled on those effects or solutions.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Maybe we'll be lucky enough come release day to find out that the new Civilopedia is just as detailed as the Datalinks are in SMAC/X. While a not a substitute for a well written and informative strat guide, the Datalinks are very, very comprehensive w/ many game formula's listed. Realistically, I don't expect to see this though, which is a damn shame being such a backstep from AC.
                        Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                          One real use for strategy guides associated with Firaxis games has been to answer the "how did they calculate that" and the "why does that work like that" questions. The manual tends to tell you what a statistic means in the game, rather than how it was caldulated. Same for game effects (Wonders, Advances, Improvements); the manual tells you what happens in relation to these, but not why the designers settled on those effects or solutions.
                          My use for strategy guides is for other people to buy them for the information you speak about and then repeat what's in there on the net. Of course a lot of that information may also be gained idependently of the guide. I'm sure most of the tables and statistics not included in the manual will eventually be posted here and other Civ fansites.

Real strategy is gained from expert players who have exchanged ideas and have had weeks/months of experience, not from a strategy guide.

Comment

You know what I really hate about strategy guides is when a game is designed so that you HAVE to buy it... For instance, the only way to get past level 2- after you're hooked to the game- is to magically jump onto the invisible bridge and flip the invisible switch after fighting the invisible monster by using the "special secret code".

THAT BEING SAID, the strategy guide for games like CIV are not essential, and for that, I think they are great for anyone who's got $20 to blow and wants something to read in study hall (and who's already read the manual 18 times)...
                            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

...strategy guide with a pre-game release. Personally, I think the game community should boycott such monstrosities.
                              Hey, boycotting something just because you don't like it is missing the whole point. Boycott something that kills kids or causes cancer for maximum effect.
                              "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Working...
                              X