UN Victory: Hmmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN Victory: Hmmm...

"Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the UN council wins the game. The catch here is that in order to even be on the UN council (and thus eligible to be elected UN leader), you must control 25 percent of either the world's territory or its population. The civilization that builds the United Nations wonder automatically gains a permanent council position."

What if terr/pop are relatively equally distributed among 5-7 civs?

In this case he who builds the UN will be the only member, and win the game.

Another case: Precisely 1 civ meets the requirement. It should build the UN for an Automatic Victory. So you can win the game with only 25% pop or terr, IF the rest is equally distributed.

Yet another case: 2 civs meet the requirements. Once the UN are built, the stronger of the two will vote for itself, and win the game again!

I can see a whole bundle of strategies here to exploit this and trick yourself to victory with 25% of the world population or territory. If this comes true, I claim the name 'Comrade Tribune´s UN Gambit' for this.
    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

I agree with you. This UN victory thing is totally lame.
    ==========================
    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Well, you can turn UN victory off if you'd like to, but I think they have thought those things what you just said and come with some ideas. Let's just wait and see, ok?

Comment

UN Victory

It could be like Master of Orion II you get one vote per city(Colony in MOO) and you need a majority vote to win.

Comment

The problem is, unlike Moo, you are not even in, if you don´t have 25%, and this is what will create 'Comrade Tribune´s UN Gambit'.
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

i would guess it would be the same as smac's diplo vitory. perhaps you will need 51% of the leaders to vote for you, and so the option only becomes availible when atleast that many re on the coucil.
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

For true utopian global unity it should require 100%.

It'll probably be the four biggest civs which are in always though = as they will be your main rivals.
              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

There's a thread on this somewhere lost in the mists of time. By messing about with some examples there will roughly 2-4 Civs on the average council. Still not sure if votes are 1-1civ or weighted by population. Any news?

Comment

Yah, I too am a little worried about the Diplomatic victory in Civ III. Guess we will have to wait for the game to come out. But there is always a way to stop a diplomatic victory

"The UN will be meeting later this year to elect a leader of the world"

"In other news, New York, the city where the United Nations is based, was nuked three times, taken over by paratroopers, and razed to the ground by a small country that did not get on the United Nations council"
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I like your idea

who cares if the UN gets you cheap victory... I'll just make sure it never happens
                    Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                    So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                    rocking on everest

Comment

Re: UN Victory: Hmmm...

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                      "Any civ that receives a majority of votes from the UN council wins the game. The catch here is that in order to even be on the UN council (and thus eligible to be elected UN leader), you must control 25 percent of either the world's territory or its population. The civilization that builds the United Nations wonder automatically gains a permanent council position."
                      This seems a bit odd to me. 25% world pop _or_ 25% world land... How many civs would that be max? 8? In theory there could be something like 8 civs on the council.

I am assuming this is supposed to simulate the permanent members of Security Council of the real UN. However France hardly qualifies on either counts, and neither does the UK I think. As for the US... no, I don't think they have 25% of the landmass. So in effect only China and maybe Russia (I'm not sure if it still 25% of total land mass) would sit on the 'council'.

My guess is that we don't have all the facts on this one just yet. If we do I agree it looks like a quick and (ch)easy victory...

-Alech
                      "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Originally posted by Akaoz

This seems a bit odd to me. 25% world pop _or_ 25% world land... How many civs would that be max? 8? In theory there could be something like 8 civs on the council.
                        That would be possible... but only if the players who possessed 25% of the land had 0 population, and the players with 25% of the population had no land... which isn't very likely. Or possible.

The very maximum you could get would be 6, but realistically (since population usually grows with land, and vice versa) there would probably be about 3 or 4 countries that qualified. For that matter, the player that builds the UN will usually be one of the players who is already eligible, because large nations will probably reach the tech quicker and can focus on industry. So, 2 or 3 allies and you should be able to win easily... sounds too good to be true to me. I think it won't be that easy... we only have slight details from Firaxis, so don't base everything off this 25% rule just yet. Does anybody have any additional info?
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Remember the other civs only get one vote so they'll probably be to bloody minded to elect you - the smug self satisfied guy who built the damn thing,

Could I just say though, before we go any further, I am one again eternally thankful to Firaxis for the inclusion of something as simple as a button to turn this off, which many would have not bothered to give us.

Firaxis, I love you, I'm turning diplo victory off! ( I hope the UN will still elect a leader with it off, the leader just won't win the game, I'd just want that cheap ego trip to be elected world leader, Though I'll be the first to admit I'm not very Koffi Anan )
                          A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I don't think that's how it works...

For one, I think that the UN doesn't convene for a while after building the UN.

Two, I think that players (human or computer) don't vote. It would work on something similar to the Approval rating algorithm. Remember that you have to get a MAJORITY vote to win. Just because you are eligible doesn't mean you'll win.

Three: In situation 2, you've already won the game, basically. In situation 1, that is the sort of thing that tips the balance and provokes World War (ironically) (hopefully the AI is good enough to know it's end is near) which should leave some clear winners and losers
                            Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Akaoz

I am assuming this is supposed to simulate the permanent members of Security Council of the real UN. However France hardly qualifies on either counts, and neither does the UK I think. As for the US... no, I don't think they have 25% of the landmass. So in effect only China and maybe Russia (I'm not sure if it still 25% of total land mass) would sit on the 'council'
                              Guess what? In the real world NOBODY fits the 25% criteria:

World: 148.94 million sq km landmass + 6,157,400,560 pop
                              Biggest country: Russia 16,995,800 sq km landmass (11.4% of world)
                              Most populated country: China 1,273,111,290 pop (20.7% of world)

Source: CIA world fact book http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
                              Student: You can't give us this test, I don't understand anything!
                              Teacher: What would be the point of giving you a test if you understood?

Comment

Working...
                              X