City LOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City LOS

I was just looking at this pic and was noticing the line of site of these cities- looks like they are +1 of the cultural border. Hmm, nice

I think

I hate fog of war, i hope it can be turned off.
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex 14
      I hate fog of war, i hope it can be turned off.
      I wouldn't count on that any time soon. FoW has always been in CIV, and I don't ever remember seeing a non-cheat/editor way of turning it off.

Comment

I think FOW makes the game more realastic and interesting.
        I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I love Fog of War, it makes things more interresting and surprising.
          It also creates the need for patrols or intelligence gathering of enemy movements.
          Live long and prosper !

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwalker
            I think FOW makes the game more realastic and interesting.
            yeah, and anything else is entirely unrealistic. how would you know what's out there unless you see it? that's what fog of war is
            Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

I'm a bit annoyed you can actually SEE the fog.

I don't like that, it makes the world look dull.
              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

I thought it was said that you could see everything inside of your borders, so that you wouldn't have any fog in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba

Well, on the other hand, it makes you realize there are areas where opponents might be, though you you can't see 'em.

In civ2 areas within and outside your control had the same view. With a visible fog of war you know what you need to check and what not.
                  -------------------------------><------------------------------
                  History should be known for learning from the past...
                  Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
                  -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

One of the best implementations of FOW was in Machiavelli the Prince...the map had an overlay of how you thought the world looked...the farther away you got from Venice (main city), the less accurate the map would be.
                    ----
                    "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

I like the FOW in Civ2 where there aren't areas that look like clouds are overhead, only the blackout. In SMAC and (appears to be) Civ3 have the black out part (this is good) but they have the cloudy part (this is bad). I'm not sure if anybody will have an idea of what I'm explaining; hopefully somebody will.
                      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I like FOW when it comes to enemy-units.

I don't like FOW when it comes to geography.

In SMAC I would always start with the map explored and the mystery would be where the enemy is, not how far I had to move to get to the sea.

-Alech
                        "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba

You could toggle fog of war in SMAC; it would grey out those squares that are outside your LOS if selected otherwise it wouldn't. It didn't mean you could see units outside of your line of sight though...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: City LOS

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                            I was just looking at this pic and was noticing the line of site of these cities- looks like they are +1 of the cultural border. Hmm, nice :b
                            Just to be pedantic, that's not LOS (line of sight). That's vision/sight range.

LOS is a tactical game term. It determines whether you can get a shot at an enemy unit, and has nothing to do with whether you know the existence of an enemy unit or not.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Thanx for the pedantry

Comment

Working...
                              X