Does anyone know how air power works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

I'm not really sure it says 1969, but I know that people who've been on these forums for a few years (like me), were given that date when Apolyton changed forum software. I've been around before SMAC and around the time when CIV II was just out.
    And the real freaky thing is that even though I'm only a prince he's only a fecking warlord!!!!!!

Which means he must either take longer sabaticles than I do or had something real nasty happen to his post count.
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
      We've been waiting for Civ 3 for a looong time. Apolyton predicted it 10 years before Sid wrote Civ 1

It looks like the unit itself is physically based on a particular tile and can then conduct air operations within a certain range of that tile without the player having to fly it out there and back again. The only time it will move is if you fly the airplane to a new base, and even that is probably done by jumping from base to base rather than using tile-by-tile movement. Pretty standard stuff used often in wargames.
      Then I wonder how they be destroyed. Do we get a report on the lossage of aircrafts after the mission is finished? That, as realistic as it is, sucks imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboda
        And the real freaky thing is that even though I'm only a prince he's only a fecking warlord!!!!!!
        Actually, both events occured, Faboda. I did take a "leave of absence" one might say: A bunch of things happened; I got really, really ill, and very nearly died; I bought a house and moved; I changed jobs; I got married; all in 2 years... and I'm only 28 years old! Yikes! Insane huh?

And... my count from before was lost. I used to be the web master of the site that is now known as Apolyton's SMAC site, until I decided to give it up in Markos' very capable hands.
        Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
        "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

I hope they have included an option to execute all air attacks simultaneously so that a city with say 4 sam sites would not get 4 attacks vs. EACH plane I send their way

Comment

All of this reminds of the way air units were handled in Dan Bunten's COMMAND HQ. Air units in that wargame could only land in cities or carriers and also had a limited fighting range. In Civ3 you'll probably be able to build airfields like in civ2 to move fighters closer to the front.

There's also something very important in relation to command hq, but I'll get to that soon.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Stealth bomber gets four attacks?!

I thing that would be really cool, if you were on the dealing end of it, but imagine in multiplayer games-- someone has 1 stealth bomber in range of one of your major cities-- they launch an attack against your solar plant, your factory, and your power plant, or some awful combination like that. In 1 turn, they destroy all that, then how many will it take you to recover, assuming you can't just rush buy stuff? A LONG TIME. You might lose the war because of 1 stealth bomber... Sure, I know you'd have fighters, so they'd never get away that easily, but still, seems kind of powerful to me.

Comment

assuming you can't just rush buy stuff
                bad assumption, you can rush buy (not like i haven't made a few hundred of those )

also here is from the new interview

there are now three additional types of combat: bombardment, missile attacks, and air combat. Bombardment is not limited to targeting enemy units--players can also use it against terrain improvements (roads and the like) and cities (where it may cause a population decrease or destroy city structures). Missiles operate in a similar way, but they are expended once the attack is conducted. And air units now have a specialized range of missions, running the gamut from air superiority to recon and precision bombing.
                so now we know of a few of the air missions
                Last edited by korn469; October 18, 2001, 00:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

Actually, both events occured, Faboda. I did take a "leave of absence" one might say: A bunch of things happened; I got really, really ill, and very nearly died; I bought a house and moved; I changed jobs; I got married; all in 2 years... and I'm only 28 years old! Yikes! Insane huh?

And... my count from before was lost. I used to be the web master of the site that is now known as Apolyton's SMAC site, until I decided to give it up in Markos' very capable hands.
                  Sounds like an interesting time in your life at least
                  A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Then there are people who only post when they have something unique to add......

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Comment

Working...
                    X