X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• release date OCTOBER 17!!!??

It finally looks like I got a scoop!!!
    Here's my story:
    I'm in the local computer super store checking things out. As I am walking to the front door I see THE BOX!!! where they put coming soon stuff. I look it over and get somewhat excited. I say to myself "You know what even though my computer will probably not run it I'll still buy it when it comes out." I then look at the board where they write release dates. To my absolute astonishment they've got Civilization III put down for October 17 release!!!! 2 frigging days away. Still holding the box I look back at it and think "am I dreaming?" "WTF?". I look back at the board and trace with my eyes to make sure I didn't read the date for some other game. NOPE it says Oct 17th for Civ3!!! What does this mean?? This place is pretty reliable so it could be true.
    Could this be an isolated phenomenon? Perhaps my little city of Edmonton way in the middle of the Canadian prairies has been blessed by Sid/Firaxis as some sort of test bed??? If that is so I wonder how many requests I would have from people to send them a copy STAT by courier!!??
    I realize that this could be a mistake by there person who wrote the date. I hope not!
    Of course if this is true it'll probably be released all over America on that date. The stupid thing is that if by some mutant chance Edmonton proper was getting an early release I can't but it anyway because I'm flying to New York on the 17th !!
    I still don't trust my eyes or the person who wrote the date so I am going to the store tomorrow and look again AND if it is still Oct 17th I'm going to ask a sales rep for confirmation.

Lets all hope this is no mistake!!!

Anyway I've got to go! Star Trek Enterprise is on in 15 minutes!! It's actually quite good! It has the raw edge of the original series as the captain isn't a wimp!
    "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
    "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

do u live in USA?

Comment

Originally posted by Akillias
      do u live in USA?
      Simpleton's thing says Edmonton, Canada . . .
      It do make yo uwonder, but it doesn't seem lik ethey would have had time to burn a bunch of CDs by now.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

No I live in Canada. In the province of Alberta and the city of Edmonton. Alberta is north of Montana/Idaho. Edmonton is about 500 miles (800 kilometres) north of this border. So it's basically in the middle of nowhere. Its about 1 million people in size.
        "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
        "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

I don't trust stores

I'd have NO complaints if it actually came out on the 17th, but I don't trust info stores give about dates. I remember going to a computer store and asking if they had the Civ Multiplayer. They were clueless and the game wasn't even in their computer (a couple months after it was released). I found it at another store that same day.

I'm still planning on it being shipped the 30th, but if you see it in the store earlier let us know.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is an misprint on the relase date. cuz everywhere else it says oct 30
            Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Yah I think it was a misprint myself BUT if it is true that would be a nice surprise. Like I said I will be going back tomorrow and recheck the date as well as talking with someone to confirm it.

Comment

The "preorder box" at Best Buy said October 18, but *subject to change* so I'm gonna check back anyways.
                "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Oh wow! 1.5 hours till release! No, I'm betting there is an error here somewhere. Just another lie by Firaxis... giving it to us 13 days early like that...
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out on 17th or 18th. Infogrames may want I simultaneous release date but Best Buy and EB want to sell it as soon as they get it. In the gaming industry market channel power is possessed by the big retailers, and hence the contracts may not specify a legal release date like they do in book publishing. Where publishers historically held the power, It's changing however. All in all, I'd say chances our good that we'll see it on the shelves in the next couple of days.
                    Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Hey! I just realized that Oct17th is tomorrow??? Wednesday! I'm definitely going to that store tomorrow! If it's not a mistake I'm coming home with the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                        In the gaming industry market channel power is possessed by the big retailers, and hence the contracts may not specify a legal release date like they do in book publishing.

I think this is the one time I'm thankful for big retailers!! If this is true.

PS: I'll guess by your avatar that your a fan of the Fallout series??? Great games eh?

Comment

Hey where I am it is October 17th! Woohoo! How could I find out if the game has been released?
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I doubt it...

www.ebgames.com still says 10/30... and i believe it.

Comment

Re: I doubt it...

Originally posted by d4rkl0rd

www.ebgames.com still says 10/30... and i believe it.
                              Well that's too bad. Doesn't matter much though because I will just get it on the 31st for my bday.

Comment

Working...
                              X