No announcement yet.

Classical before Medieval?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention that I'm very happy with the civ3 division of ages.
    Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

'Squeeze me, DC?

As in direct current or district of columbia

Either AD or CE surely
      A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

DC

DC:
        yes, sorry, just some linguistic pollution from my original language
        The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Rome fell in 476 AD, actually. Closer to 500 AD than it is to 400 AD.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

He could be thinking of the sack of Rome in 410 AD by Alaric, perhaps.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Fall of Rome

I know, but the fall of Rome was something that took a long time to complete... one of the first bad signs was the shift of the imperial capital from Rome to Costantinople (in the 4th century).
              In the fifth century the barbarian influence and power were already massive: the last emperor, Romulus Augustulus, was just a pathetic placeholder.
              So I usually go with "around 400" as "landmark" date, not with one of the many event dates. Just my personal choice.
              The ice was here, the ice was there, the ice was all around: it cracked and growled and roared and howled like noises in a swound!

Comment

Re: DC

Originally posted by Yoleus
                DC:
                yes, sorry, just some linguistic pollution from my original language
                Sorry. You're English is one hell of a lot better than my......... whatever.

Two things : what does DC stand for?

And the wuote of your sig is nt the english one. In fight club in English it was "1st rule of fight club is; you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of fight club is; you do NOT talk about Fight Club." Just trying to help.
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Constantinople (Byzantium) fell to the Ottoman Turks in 1453. 1492 marked the end of the Iberian Reconquista which finally pushed the Moors out of Western Europe, and, of course, Columbus' voyage to the Bahamas.
                  Dr. Jones

Finagle's Law - The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Comment

damnit indiana, i was just gonna point that out :P

Comment

I finally beat someone to the punch! I'm usually not around at the right time and someone else beats me in with the info.
                      Dr. Jones

Finagle's Law - The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.

Comment

Re: Magic moments

Originally posted by Yoleus
                        1914: something bad happens.
                        I prefer to mark the beginning of the "Modern Age" from the start (or end) of World War I. World War I (or The Great War as it was known) saw the destruction of every major imperial power that was created before that time and the rise of new countries to fill the vacuum. True, several empires (like Great Britain) survived that malestrom, but they took such a beating that they released all their colonies just to survive as a country. World War I saw the rise of two "third world countries" to global domination (US and Japan), the creation of new form economics (Communism), and the rise of an ancient empire that was almost dead (China). Between World War I and World War II, the balance of power shifted away from a predominatly European controlled world to a world where the balance of power rests on several continents.

Comment

Re: Re: Magic moments

Originally posted by Cre8engr
                          (...) the balance of power shifted away from a predominatly European controlled world to a world where the balance of power rests on several continents.
                          ...to lead eventually to an unbalanced - in terms of power - world, that of today, and ...oh... well... whatever

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Magic moments

Originally posted by Rosacrux
                            ...to lead eventually to an unbalanced - in terms of power - world, that of today, and ...oh... well... whatever
                            yeah but before that there was the extremely balanced cold war
                            Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Originally posted by Mars
                              I would like to get ride of some misconceptions of the middle ages. Although if you mean thr middle ages were a reggresion of abstract curiosity and reading of books, thereby affecting certain sciences and medicine then you would be right. But on the other hand there was little overall retrogression during the middle ages, in fact "man" made some great discovers during this period. For instance, the trebuchet, armor, barding, the stirrup , the three field system, Fortifactions, catedrals, engineering, horse collar, , feudilism, longbow, crossbow, just to name european advances, who were the civs in "retrogression", where as China was experincing its golden age and other empires like the muslims where advancing as well, the zero was created during this period in india.
                              Umm...

most of those European "discoveries" were imported inventions from Asia, specifically china. And feudalism certainly wasn't an advance!!! Feudalism might have worked had the situation in the world been different. The same is true about Communism, but most people aren't turning Red just yet.

About half of the rest of those are advances that were strictly military, or in the case of the longbow a minor non-military but mostly military advance (they already had the short bow).
                              Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

The Horse Collar, The three field system, certain advances in engineering all are credited to the europeans and were non military
                                Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Working...
                                X