What was the "Dan Quayle" screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the "Dan Quayle" screen?

One of the ask the civ team q and a's mentioned that. WHat info does it provide?
    Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

It just compares you to great world leaders. Danny was the lowest possible rank.

Comment

From what I've heard it compares you to great/bad leaders of the real world in the past.

Comment

When you retire it calculates your score, then the percentage based on difficulty, then ranked you against world leaders. I tried looking for some old saved games, but I do not seem to have any of my most glorious civs saved. The best saved game I had left only covers about 2/3 of the list, starting from the bottom:

Sire, your Civilisation Rating of 60% exceeds even Winston Churchill.

Winston Churchill
        Cleopatra
        Charles De Gaulle
        Vladimir Lenin
        Simon Bolivor
        Otto von Bismark
        Eric the Red
        Kaiser Wilhelm
        Louis the XVI
        Neville Chamberlain
        Ferdinand Marcos
        Emperor Nero
        Dan Quayle

If anyone else can supply the rest of the list... I remember Queen Victoria or someone high up on the list.

Comment

this is back in civ3, right?

Comment

I remember that one of the highest was king Solomon

Comment

The "dan quayle" screen was in civ 1. It comes up when you have finished the game or retired. It is the same as the ranking screen at the end of the game in civ 2 which said "xxx the weak, xxx the tough" etc etc. The only difference is that civ 2's list was really boring while civ 1's list you could compare yourself to the greatest leaders in the history of the world. As a newbie it was fun to try to get higher each game until you finally revealed the entire list of people.

Solomon the Wise was on top.

It is coming back to civ 3.

Comment

hehehe, dan was simply excellent
                do you think they had to remove dubbya from the list before going gold or is the list only for ex-occupants of the white house?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurgan
                  I remember that one of the highest was king Solomon
                  yet another example of zionist conspiracy

Comment

The highest was Charlemagne.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso
                      hehehe, dan was simply excellent
                      do you think they had to remove dubbya from the list before going gold or is the list only for ex-occupants of the white house?
                      George Bush was never on the list. Since they seemed to only have VP's, I guess the lowest, non office holding VP would be Gore, although they could make an exception to Clinton. Maybe a "you're as trusted as" in population approval and start with Clinton at the bottom topped by Reagan and Roosevelt at the top..

Since there seems to be a way to piss your population off through forced labour and mis-dealings both at home and abroad, why not have an approval ranking?

Comment

ehhehe, good idea!
                        well i thought that those east coast bleeding liberal firaxians might have thought of including dubbya down there with quayle before 9/11....i am sure he is not on the list now
                        approval rating would be great! wait a sec...i think it WAS in civ 2...or was it civ1.... no, i reckon it was civ2! it was, IIRC in some statistics screen.....

Comment

Kurgan is correct. In Civ 1 the greatest ruler to be compared to (it required a Civilzation Rating of 125% or higher) was Solomon the Wise.

Comment

Aaaaaaaah I DID wonder...... ( what the **** people were talking about Dan Quale to do with Civ for )

Yet another example of Civ being non-isolationist. They involved great leaders from all over the world and all through history instead of just American presidents ( Sid probably avoided the Presidents in order to not piss anone off, but I think he went overboard to give Churchill 60%, the guy was more than a few trees short of a forest. Lenin and CdG were much better imho.

I wonder if they'll do seperated lists for different things

The risk taking list goes from - "You have balls like Clepatora's chief eunuch" to "You have balls like that really ****ed up squirrel picture - you know the one"

You fight like "a lil' sissy girl" to "you're in a boxing match with a hunger for ears."

Seriously though - I hope they still manage to get some humour into it beyond the monacle they're giving whis-'is-name
                            A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Churchill was a great war leader, but he should have led and left the military planning to his expert advisors.

Hopefully the list will be editable so you can put your own favourite football managers, movie stars or whatever takes your fancy in their place.
                              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                              X